Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Its official this time Tomlin will be new coach...Update Midnight EST 1/21, not yet !

Bookmark and Share
    i really cant wait because grimm was by far the favorite, easy choice and this guy really must have showed them something

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    First off I aint believin jack until I see an official press conference, and 2nd, I must be the only one that still wanted Grimm !

My Mood
    Amazed
    I have to see a link on a source or a quote from the Rooney's. So I will not believe it until I do.
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

i'd be happy with any of the 3 finalists

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    grimm is a BUM.... a cowher in the making, which again isn't good at all..... i wonder if grimm is crying???? now he has to book a flight to oakland lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    SI and KFFL and ESPN were reporting this earlier on the radio and on the net, I still aint believin it till I see a press conference or some official statement from the Rooneys.

#1 Hater of the other 30 SteelCityMan786's Avatar
    Don't keep your hopes up

from the Post-Gazette

http://post-gazette.com/pg/07020/755575-100.stm

Steelers say they haven't hired a coach, despite SI report

Saturday, January 20, 2007
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers chairman Dan Rooney today denied a Sports Illustrated story that said the team had chosen Mike Tomlin as its head coach.

"There's nothing to that story on the wire," Mr. Rooney said of the account that appeared earlier today on SI.com.

Other sources, most unwilling to go on the record, also denied there was any truth to the story. Mr. Tomlin, the defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings, denied it publicly.

"It is untrue," Mr. Tomlin told ESPN's Chris Mortensen. "I have no idea where it's coming from. I have not talked to the Rooneys today."

A source close to Russ Grimm said yesterday afternoon that he had heard nothing from the Steelers. Mr. Grimm, the team's offensive line coach and assistant head coach, is one of three finalists for the job.

The other is Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, who was awaiting a second interview by the Steelers if Chicago loses in the NFC championship game tomorrow. If the Bears win, they would have to wait until Feb. 5 to talk to Mr. Rivera, 45.

Mr. Grimm, 47, could not be reached for comment but his brother Donn told the Post-Gazette from his home in Georgia that he had not talked to him today.

"I think I would have heard, if he knew anything,'' Donn Grimm said.

Michael Silver of SI.com wrote that the team would announce the hiring of Mr. Tomlin, 34, in the next two days.

Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said he read the SI.com report, but the team had nothing new to say about the search to replace Bill Cowher.

"We have heard all the rumors, and we have nothing to confirm at this point,'' Mr. Lockett said.

Asked whether the team had a news conference scheduled this weekend to announce that the search for a coach was over, Mr. Lockett said, "No, nothing planned, and we would certainly tell you and all the media if we did.''

Mr.Tomlin just finished his first year as defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings. It is believed that he and Mr.Grimm are the frontrunners to replace Mr. Cowher. He resigned Jan. 5 after the Steelers ended the 2006 season with an 8-8 record, following a Super Bowl championship in February.

Mr. Cowher said he planned to spend more time with his family after coaching the Steelers for 15 years. His wife and youngest daughter moved to Raleigh, N.C., last year.

Staff writers Gene Collier and Tom Birdsong contributed to this report.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It all depends on what time that article was written...

#1 Hater of the other 30 SteelCityMan786's Avatar
    My guess is that it was written once news of Tomlin being hired broke out.

Thread Information