Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Confidence in Redman & Clay in the playoffs?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Clowns

Confidence in Redman & Clay in the playoffs?

According to the Steelers, Rashard Mendenhall's knee injury looks like it could be serious. They didn't speculate from what I heard yet but Mike Tomlin said don't look for him to play next weekend in Denver.

Isaac Redman finished with 19 carries for 92 yds and 1 Touchdown.

John Clay had 9 carries for 31 yds.

A good day under normal circumstances, but factor in 2 4th quarter fumbles by Isaac Redman that could have been very costly if the Browns had any type of offense. Fortunately the defense was able to bail him out but quite honestly he's not doing himself any favors with a performance like that. Has you confidence in Redman been swayed any with those fumbles in such a close game?

I did like what I saw from John Clay today though.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Redman put the ball on the ground two times today...so yea I don't know if he can be trusted....Plus I always said Redman is a nice RB to pair as a combo but I don't not seeing him as a RB to carry a running game.....As for Clay he wasn't drafted for a reason and really his limited time in two games really hasn't given me enough time to really form an opinion on him.....I'm hard on Mendenhall but without him its a huge blow to our running game.....I'm usually all for Ben just winging the ball but with his bad ankle I do think this team does need some kind of running game......

2nd String
    I have confidence in any combination of our RB's. I also have the same confidence in our WR's - but, for some reason, neither can gel. There is always something; injury, fumbles, penalties, controversy, etc. we have the pieces but we seem to lack the execution and or the coaching to maximize the potential.

I am continually amazed at the Steelers 12 - 4 record.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Redman averaged almost a 5 yard per rush average today? I have complete confidence in him and Clay to back him up.

Before everyone jumps off the Isaac Redman train because of his 2 fumbles, let's not go crazy just yet here. That is really the first time that we've seen Redman falter at all. Until it becomes a regular problem (like it is for another Steelers running back) I don't see that as a reason to stop handing him the ball. He's a pretty awesome back for someone who was just supposed to be a short yardage guy.

We have no choice at this point... Redman will be fine but I'd be shocked if they don't bring someone in..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I'm not ready to jump off the Redman train just yet either. He had a big day today but also had some errors. Cleveland was going for the strip all day long and he just coughed it up. It happens now and then. I think he'll be fine next week but you know the Broncos defense is going to be going after him trying to rip that ball away.

Clay has shown some flashes and thank goodness he was on the PS because without him right now we'd be in trouble. Moore coming back would help but I'm not counting on it.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    I'm not ready to jump off the Redman train just yet either. He had a big day today but also had some errors. Cleveland was going for the strip all day long and he just coughed it up. It happens now and then. I think he'll be fine next week but you know the Broncos defense is going to be going after him trying to rip that ball away.

Clay has shown some flashes and thank goodness he was on the PS because without him right now we'd be in trouble. Moore coming back would help but I'm not counting on it.
    Exactly. A running back fumbling is not something that happens one time in a million. It's going to happen, especially with a somewhat unexperienced back like Redman. I will go as far to say though, that I consider it a good thing that he fumbled a few times today. It was a completely meaningless game, and he now knows it's something to look out for. Kind of like Bettis fumbling in the Colts game (sorry for bringing that up everyone.) After that game Bettis was holding on to that ball like it was his baby on every carry. Hopefully it'll have the same effect on Redman. We're going to need him to have some big games in the playoffs if Ben doesn't get his **** together.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Redman averaged almost a 5 yard per rush average today? I have complete confidence in him and Clay to back him up.

Before everyone jumps off the Isaac Redman train because of his 2 fumbles, let's not go crazy just yet here. That is really the first time that we've seen Redman falter at all. Until it becomes a regular problem (like it is for another Steelers running back) I don't see that as a reason to stop handing him the ball. He's a pretty awesome back for someone who was just supposed to be a short yardage guy.
    Redman has never been asked to get the majority of the carries yet either.....Until I see him week in and week out carry the load at the RB position I will have my doubts...I always supported him to get more carries so this is his chance.....anyway you slice it fumbling twice isn't the best way to head into the play-offs as the teams lead RB now......I usually wouldn't care about the running game but with Ben's ankle still a concern the running game will have to produce......

The Steelers are primarily a passing team anyways. Not saying the loss of Mendenhall won't hurt because he was good at making catches out of the backfield and on the screens.

It was good to see Emmanuel Sanders out there. This team is going to have a full complement of passing weapons in the playoffs, which won't hurt at all.
    Host of Power Pregame and Panther Primer on TribLive Radio
    Contributing Writer for Pittsburgh Sporting News
    Owner of "The Voice Says...." Blog
    Follow me on Twitter: @SteelCityVoice
    "Like" My Sports Page on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Speeed View Post
    I have confidence in any combination of our RB's. I also have the same confidence in our WR's - but, for some reason, neither can gel. There is always something; injury, fumbles, penalties, controversy, etc. we have the pieces but we seem to lack the execution and or the coaching to maximize the potential.

I am continually amazed at the Steelers 12 - 4 record.
    Go Arians.....

Thread Information