Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger or Batch for Cleveand on Jan. 1

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Roethlisberger or Batch for Cleveand on Jan. 1

That is the million dollar question, the one that will be scrutinized 9 ways to Sunday from now until, well, Sunday.

Charlie Batch went 15-22 for 208 yds. 1 Int. on Saturday in the season home finale. The workmanlike, game manager, held his own and even had his share of Ben like moves evading would be tacklers and throwing on the run to keep the chains moving. In theory given the Brown lack of pretty much everything on offense, you'd think having a game manager like Charlie taking the snaps would be sufficient to get a win even on the road.

The Browns are next to last in the NFL in scoring points, the Rams are last, so it won't take much to beat this team. Especially when you factor in the Steelers defense starting to get healthy on seemingly on a roll. The Browns defense is 2nd in the league against the pass, allowing an average of 184.0 yds per game through the air. So give them credit, they are keeping games close. The rush defense is though is 3rd from the bottom in the league, allowing just over 145 yds. per game.

So what's the recipe for success? Rushing the ball of course, but up until this past Saturday the Steelers don't usually exploit a teams weakness with their own offense. That changed when the Rams who were dead last in the league vs the rush got a healthy dose of Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman. If Bruce Arians is smart, yes I know I'm opening myself up on that one, you figure they'll do the same again this week. Even with a banged up offensive line you should be able to have success.

The x factor is that this is a divisional game and these don't always go as planned. Some teams can lose to teams they have no business losing too in this division at any time. Just this past weekend the Browns were one offsides penalty away from possibly beating the Ravens. They will try to come after Batch or Roethlisberger so don't count this one as a cakewalk necessarily.

I see the Steelers getting Ben snaps in the first half this week if he's able to go and then sitting him down to rest since they'll most likely be playing on the road in week one of the playoffs. I wouldn't object to sitting Roethlisberger down completely either but if they allow him to play, just get him out and don't risk further injury.

With the right run heavy gameplan Batch would do...

Starter
    My Mood
    Cool
    With the flextime, we'll probably know our fate before gametime. Not sure what time bengals-Ravens game starts. I say if Ben can go let him play. If the team knows the result of the Bengals-Ravens game and we have to play next weekend, sit him.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

Ravens / Bengals are at the same time..

Rookie Free Agent Steelers/PSU Fan's Avatar
    Bengals/Ravens game is same time, if I was the coach I'd play Batch and see how he does. At half time, I'd check to see if the Bengals are in a close game with the Ravens, if they are then I would still keep Batch in unless he starts stinking it up or we start losing to the Browns.

But if the Ravens start blowing out the Bengals then there is no reason to play Ben at all, just keep Batch/Dixon in since a win or loss doesn't matter.

My Mood
    Addicted
    If we can't beat the Browns without Ben then we don't deserve the 2 seed.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    The Browns are just as lowly a team as the Rams. Batch should start and finish no matter what. Bringing Ben in if we are losing and the Ratturds are losing won't guarantee us a win. Ben will not have practiced for over a week, if you think he was rusty against the 9ers, he wont be worth a crap against the Browns. Batch is a game manager, limit the mistakes, run it down Clevelands throat, pressure Wallace into making mistakes.....game over, Steelers win.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Keep Ben on the bench, don't risk further injury.....

Start Batch and RUN RUN RUN....
    Oakland, Where Careers Go To Die!!!!!

http://myxilplik.mybrute.com

http://tironne.mybrute.com

My Mood
    Love
    This Browns win will and should be easy. Batch can get it done. We don't need to do anything fancy unless the Browns have something up their sleeve, which i highly doubt. Just put Batch in and we'll be fine. Hakunamatata.

I say we should play Batch , he should be able to get the job done. We all know we need a healthy Ben in the playoffs and he looks no where near healthy the way he's been hobbling around on one leg .

Question is how sharp can Ben be if he doesn't play for 3 or even 4 weeks if in the event that the Ravens lose .

I have a fealing that the Ravens do lose this weekend , Cinnicinati can beat them .

The bottom line is that Ben those have to be as close to 100% healthy as possible for the playoffs .

Thread Information