Thread: Once bitten, twice shy, don't look for Tomlin to rest starters just because...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Once bitten, twice shy, don't look for Tomlin to rest starters just because...

I wouldn't want them to rest all of the starters anyway, you run the risk of too much rust heading into the playoffs. Getting them some work in the first half and then beginning to pull them, based on how the game is playing out is what hopefully he will do. You can't pull everyone but getting some key guys out as the game goes on isn't a bad idea.

Guys like Hampton, Farrior, and Woodley for example; of course Ben (if he even plays).

Mike Tomlin showed during the past three years that he isn't interested in resting players in a regular-season finale, regardless of whether playoff seeding had been locked up.

So with a chance of the Steelers climbing from the AFC's fifth seed to possibly the top seed — and getting a first-round bye — with a win at Cleveland on Sunday, Tomlin's approach isn't about to change. Even when it comes to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

"The guys who are deemed healthy to play will prepare and ultimately play for us this weekend," Tomlin said at his weekly news conference Tuesday.

Tomlin adopted that approach after resting key players like Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu and Hines Ward in a meaningless Week 17 game at Baltimore in 2007. The Steelers lost to the Ravens, then lost the following week to Jacksonville at Heinz Field in a wild-card playoff game.

Tomlin has not rested his starters in a season finale since.
    "There are some scenarios that can unfold that we can improve our playoff position. We are aware of that," Tomlin said. "We are also aware that all of those scenarios include us winning this football game."

Tomlin wouldn't say whether Roethlisberger will practice Wednesday after missing last week's game against the St. Louis Rams with a high-ankle sprain. But he said Charlie Batch's performance against the Rams — 15 of 22 for 208 yards — would not impact his decision.

A year ago, Tomlin rested Roethlisberger most of the second half against the Browns when the Week 17 game got out of hand. The Steelers needed to win to clinch the No. 2 seed, a first-round bye and the division title.

Tomlin hasn't ruled out that scenario for Sunday.

"Those are the easy decisions I can make as the game and situations unfold," Tomlin said.

In 2008, Roethlisberger again played in a meaningless season finale against the Browns, only to be carted off the field late in the first half with what later was diagnosed as a concussion.

The Steelers need to win and Baltimore lose to Cincinnati to secure a first-round bye. Add in a New England loss to Buffalo, and the Steelers would have home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.

"We have a big game this week," Tomlin said. "It is one that is necessary for us to win."

Honestly Ben needs some reps after his **** poor performance against the Niners, I'd hate for him to go into the PO's with that taste in his mouth.

NOW, I'd treat this like a preseason game if we get a good lead and yank some starters..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

the broncos and texans are both GREAT teams to shake off rust against...not worried about rust, i just think they should monitor the bengals game closely and if it starts to get out of hand then just pull the starters, no point in playing for nothing

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Steelers, while usually good coming off a bye, tend to get rusty in the first half when they don't play the week before. Being in the playoffs and trying to shake off rust can be a death sentence if you get behind by too much, especially on the road.

I'm confident if the Steelers have to go to Denver that they can win. Now the Texans, I think they can as well but stopping Arian Foster is a tough task.

I'm sure Tomlin will have his guys up stairs keeping a close eye on the Bengals game and if it's a blowout either way I would hope he starts to pull some starters as well.

My Mood
    Clowns
    No reason to rest the starters in this game unless the Ravens game is a complete blowout and you winning or losing has no bearing on your playoff positioning.

Regardless I would still start them and then maybe begin to pull players in the 2nd half.

My Mood
    Love
    Start em all and kick the browns butts and go in the playoffs ready to face and cause mayhem against whoever dares faces the Steelers. This is it right here. We'll see who really wants to win and who wants to go home.

Bengals will win this one. Williams CB, Boldin and the FG kicker are out.

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Bengals will win this one. Williams CB, Boldin and the FG kicker are out.
    That's too bad that Cundiff is out. He's been shakier than Sushi this year. I would have loved to see the game come down to a Cundiff kick on the road.

playOFFS ... play OFFS.... you .....talking to me about play..OFFS........play..OFFS

--- Added 12/30/2011 at 11:26 AM ---

Yes playoffs , we are lucky the steelers are at the dance almost ever year .The steelers should start the game agaisnt the Browns like it their first playoff game , try to take a commanding lead and hope that the Bengals do us a favour .

Then anytime after the start of the second quarter remove starter they need to rest .
    Ben first on the list , Polamalu , Harrison in that order .........

Thread Information