Thread: The Man Behind The Curtain

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Amazed

Wink The Man Behind The Curtain

One of the things that seems to make Billichik look so good (smart?) is the quality of the personnel he has. They lost wideouts and they have no names who amazingly enough (to me anyway) seem to play beyond their years and/or reputation. They lose a guy who I think is perhaps the best FG kicker in the history of the league and they get some Polish kid who is doing quite well thank you.

As I recall there's a wizard behind the curtains in New England but dont' ask me because I don't know the guy's name. He's some personnel guru that seems to have this talent judging things down quite well.

Is he really the "man behind the curtain" pulling the levers and keeping the Pats in it year after year? No matter who the Pats lose they seem to have one or two guys ready to step in and fill the holes more than adequately.

We need that. We've got some real holes to fill. But I suspect that we don't have a wizard behind the curtain. We need a deeper bench!

How do the Pats do "it" and so many other teams don't? Am I off base here by not giving that wacky dude on the sidelines with the sleeves cut off of his gray sweatshirt all the credit?
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

Well, the Pats system is kind of like the evil twin of the Steelers system. Whereas the Steelers are willing to reward players for hard work and success, the Pats kick them out as soon as they ask for a more money. However, both teams like to maintain financial responsibility and don't like to overspend. Both teams have a knack for losing players to free agency and replacing them easily. Look at all the great players the Steelers have lost and replaced over the years. The Pats haven't been doing it nearly as long.

Now, why the Pats have been able to consistently win Super Bowls while the Steelers have only been able to consistently go to AFC Championship games, I don't know. It could be luck, it could be coaching, it could be something else. We'll see about the coaching thing now if the new guy wins one sooner than Cowher did.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

My Mood
    Addicted
    Very good post 87 and I agree with you.

Great Breakdown

With what "87 says
    Only one thing to add ,,,,, if it wasn't for our bad QB play in the 90's and our two losses to the pateeeeZ,we'd probably have about 8 superbowls by now !
    Who Knows I do think we are on our way to that 6th one though

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We have just as much if not more talent year in and year out than the Pats do but we didn't have the QB to run the offense for as long as the Pats did and that's a big plus along with Belicheck's coaching.

I don't agree with alot of things Cowher did in the playoffs over the years, and we surely didn't lose in AFCCG games because of lack of talent. Belicheck is just a mastermind of exploiting any tiny weakness in the opposing offense and Cowher didnt have that knack. We'll see what happens in the new regime.

House of Steel
    87, that is one great post you written about the Pats. Good job.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan87 View Post
    Well, the Pats system is kind of like the evil twin of the Steelers system. Whereas the Steelers are willing to reward players for hard work and success, the Pats kick them out as soon as they ask for a more money. However, both teams like to maintain financial responsibility and don't like to overspend. Both teams have a knack for losing players to free agency and replacing them easily. Look at all the great players the Steelers have lost and replaced over the years. The Pats haven't been doing it nearly as long.

Now, why the Pats have been able to consistently win Super Bowls while the Steelers have only been able to consistently go to AFC Championship games, I don't know. It could be luck, it could be coaching, it could be something else. We'll see about the coaching thing now if the new guy wins one sooner than Cowher did.
    Truthfully it has a lot to do with the coaching...yeah you can have the talent but if the coaching staff can't motivate, can't make adjustments, can't find the talent then your stuck with a bunch of well paid athletes who can only hope to break .500(Bungholes...LMAO!!!)

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Thread Information