Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realistically, will Ben be 100% in the playoffs?

Bookmark and Share
    Rookie Free Agent StillersSound's Avatar

Realistically, will Ben be 100% in the playoffs?

Even if they rest him these next two weeks... From some research every high ankle sprain is different. It could take anywhere from a week to months to a year. The fastest I saw was 10 days.

I imagine the damage was already done when he came back out and played on it in the Browns game but playing in the San Fran game definitely didn't help.

So are we going to have to deal with a gimp Ben; who cannot run, get outside the pocket, play action, etc.. in the playoffs?

Ben should be at least 90% in the playoffs. He said his ankle felt a lot better the next day after the game then he expected. If he sits this week that should cure it. It's a grade 1 sprain which means the ligaments got stretched but not torn.

At this point in the season, no one is 100%, but as long as the Steelers are smart about it and sit him down vs the Rams, have him go through extensive therapy and then give him SOME TIME vs the Brows as not to go into the playoffs rusty, I think he will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    At this point in the season, no one is 100%, but as long as the Steelers are smart about it and sit him down vs the Rams, have him go through extensive therapy and then give him SOME TIME vs the Brows as not to go into the playoffs rusty, I think he will be fine.
    I'd only give him a couple series next week. Just enough to play but not chance any injury.

I'd give him a quarter and depending on how "protected" he is, would determine how long he stays in the game. Regardless, Steelers have to play to win; don't want to "limp" into the playoffs.

Super Moderator Mean Linebacker's Avatar
    My Mood
    Blah
    Max Starks can back from a high ankle sprain a couple years ago after only a week. His was a grade 1 sprain too if I remember right.

Ben most likely wouldn't be 100%, but he hasn't been 100% all year long. His chronic foot has given him problems since he aggravated it earlier this season. Every day that you rest a high ankle sprain is a good day. 85% is probably a good range to shoot for heading into the post season. I say if you must play him this regular season yet, then sit him this weekend and then get him some reps against the Browns in the first half and put Charlie in.

You guys think he will be able to run? I mean he had what, 10 days and he couldn't run in the San Fran game. This seems like one of those injuries where it could take a week to heal if you don't play on it or further injure it.

Bottom line, if Steelers can't beat the Rams without Ben, then the Steelers don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    Bottom line, if Steelers can't beat the Rams without Ben, then the Steelers don't deserve to be in the playoffs.
    I agree. Just seems like they put all their eggs in one basket(1st) Get the bye, then maybe get lucky enough to get the Texans, Raiders, Broncos, or Jets and get a playoff win at home and then bow out gracefully.

Instead of resting Ben as soon as the injury happened. Accept the 5th or 6th seed and get healthy for a playoff run.
    Last edited by StillersSound; 12-23-2011 at 03:16 PM.

I have no problem with Ben playing vs SF, but once the game was out of reach, they should have gotten him out of there; no matter what Ben said. It is a coaches decision to get the QB out, and all QB's on your roster, at some point throughout the season, need "in-game experience" in case the #1 goes down as we've seen throughout the league. That being said, Steelers need to dump both Charlie and Dix, bring back Leftwich and get some Wonderlic genius in the draft who would be a viable backup.

Thread Information