Thread: Are Teams Playing The Steelers Tougher/Different ?

Bookmark and Share
    2nd String

Are Teams Playing The Steelers Tougher/Different ?

Blitzburgh started a thread http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33868 that got me thinking...

Are teams playing us tougher than they used to? Teams like the Browns give us more trouble than the Patriots. It just seems like we don't respond to challenges anymore. Sure, we beat the Patriots, but surprisingly, that was at their own game. It seems teams are adapting to us, while we are just blundering around. It seems the Steelers never have a plan.

It could be a result of the new rules, our typically tough D seems hobbled by the new rules. The Steelers make attempts at becoming a passing team, but we lack a line that can consistently protect a QB long enough to have any options whatsoever. We run sometimes, but never seem to use it as tool.

And when I said "blundering" I meant blundering. It just seems all of the teams we play have a clear, direct plan, with a backup plan. We need to adapt, or it is just the beginning of our woes.

My guess is the Chargers, if the watched any tape, will not see anything new. The Browns don't even have to do any research, they already know what to expect. I strongly feel if the Steelers don't evolve and develop a clear, definitive plan of action, not just next year, but every year, then things are going to get worse. Look at the Ravens, they went through drastic changes and they are tearing it up.

Don't worry though, if the Steelers go 0-16 next year, I am still a fan.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I don't know if all teams are playing us tougher in particular, I do think though more teams are playing tougher defense in general. The 49ers play a very physical style of defense, as do the Bengals, Ravens, and Texans.

Some teams like the Browns try to play physical defense, and do so to a degree but they don't have the horses to play it like we do consistently just yet.

Against the Steelers defense, opposing offenses are definitely spreading out this team more. They play a quick release type of offense, short drops, spread the ball around, and use the Tight Ends a lot. They try to minimize the pass rush by getting rid of the ball quickly. It used to be that just the Patriots could pull that off but now the Chiefs do it, as do Packers, and virtually any other team that has a half decent group of offensive weapons. When you do all that consistently you can also run more effectively against an aggressive defense too.

Veteran
    Teams aren't playing us tougher. We're playing down to the competition and not stomping on the necks of teams that are inferior.

I think that teams have just figured out how to move the ball on our defense. The patriots started the trend with the dink and dunk passes and using tight ends. People always say that it is a copycat league, and so other teams are using that same formula against us. Lebeau does know how to counter that, as we saw when they played the pats this year. Pressuring recievers and tight ends and being physical at the line is the way to slow that kind of attack down, and we did that against the pats. The problem is we haven't done that against too many other teams since. But I think the biggest problem is that we can't run the football!! Our O-line is much improved from early in the year, but still nowhere near where they need to be. It also doesn't help that Big Ben and Arians want to throw it all over the yard. It is great that we have all these weapons at reciever, but we have to be able to run the ball. If you turn into a pass only offense you are only one injury away from being in the playoffs 9 years in a row to competing in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes. (Sorry Indy)

Thread Information