Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Room for improvement?

Bookmark and Share
    Banned

Room for improvement?

For those complaining about the defense, while I too have been disgusted from time to time, when you actually look at the numbers:

1st in the league in total YPG
    1st in the league in passing YPG
    6th in the league in rushing YPG
    2nd in the league in points allowed

how much better could this defense honestly be?

Rookie Free Agent StillersSound's Avatar
    I know the stats say otherwise but does it really seem like they are playing that good? I think the main thing is they aren't generating any turnovers. They are one of the worst in the league in turnovers.

Steelers - 10 int's, 0 tds. 4 recovered fumbles.
    Green Bay - 27 int's, 4 tds. 5 recovered fumbles.

And Green Bay has one of the worst defense's in the league. But you would almost take a worse ypg or ppg at the sake of getting a turnover for a touchdown or short field for the offense. It could be a game changer.

But it makes sense... Steelers rather give receivers a 10 yard cushion and keep everything in front and hope the offense messes up then generate some turnovers.

Itd be nice to see some more 3 and outs, and when the Offense scores, not to let the opponet score the following drive.

Its our offense..... It doesnt work well against a good defense. It cant score, cant control the clock, doesnt fool anyone. eventually our defense gives up points.

The Packers and Pats have crap for defense.. they score 30+ points a game maybe more.

With our defense we only need to score 24-27 points a game and we win handily. we
    would be 16-0

Then when our offense gives the ball up 4,5,6,7 times a game. you expect our defense to play well? remember the SB, SF, Ravens...

wow..... you guys need to watch other offenses that play well and see the slants with pics, cross routes with pics, two receivers or te splitting the coverage and leaving one wr/te wide open. we dont do these things much.

Rookie Free Agent StillinBaltimore's Avatar
    There will NEVER be another "dominating" defense in the nfl. If you can't keep receivers out of the middle of you formation then the rules are set up to let the offense carve you up. Things don't seem as well (except for the turnovers) because they aren't! But it's the same for everyone! It seems bad for us because we have such a high standard, but relative to how the rest of the league is handling things... its actually very good.

Other then the Ravens... we have not given up more then 20 points all year! That is pretty impressive in a league where thinking too hard about challenging a play will get you flag... and most likely an automatic first down.

Side note..... is it just me or is everything but offsides an automatic first down these days?!
    Not a life-long Stiller. But my kids and their kids will have their first Terrible Towel on the day they are born.

"Hey #16!!! I'm coming for you and he can't stop me!!!"- James Harrison- Before the play he strip sacked Matt Cassel

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    You can't really complain about the defense this year, I mean the stats speak for themselves especially in the pass defense area. The run defense has had some issues mainly because of all the injuries the defensive line has dealt with and really the linebackers too.

This is the best Steelers secondary we've seen in years, atleast since the Super Bowl XL run and the XLIII run. Certainly other than those years the secondary has been subpar on their best day. They've managed to stay healthy this year and see young guys step up. I'm quite happy with the job Carnell Lake has done especially with the young guys, but even with Ike Taylor as well.

There is always room for improvement and if by some miracle they could actually field all 11 starters at the same time they might actually be pretty dominant again.

I also agree with StillinBaltimore that there will not be a completely dominant defense again like we've seen in the past. Offenses are just so good now and you can't shut everybody down all the time. You would literally have to have 4 shut down corners, and a front 7 full of hall of fame potential players to be able to stop everybody, every week. It's more apparent than ever that even the worst NFL teams can beat the best at any time. Even the best defense can get torched by a poor offense. Nothing is what is used to be in this league these days thanks in part to the commissioner.

Stat's don't win ball games...

But like posted above if we had a decent offense 20 points wouldn't lose you a ball game..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My problem with the defense this year is that they aren't punishing or ferocious. The pass rush appears to be nearly nonexistent, the run defense is not what it has been in recent history, guys don't seem to be flying to the ball with regularity, there are never any big hits (unless Harrison is hitting someone in the head ) and where they excelled in taking the ball away last year, they are lackluster this year.

While the defense isn't bad, they simply do not inspire trust in me. If the defense needs to win the game, a "W" in the win column isn't as likely as it has been in years prior.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    My problem with the defense this year is that they aren't punishing or ferocious. The pass rush appears to be nearly nonexistent, the run defense is not what it has been in recent history, guys don't seem to be flying to the ball with regularity, there are never any big hits (unless Harrison is hitting someone in the head ) and where they excelled in taking the ball away last year, they are lackluster this year.

While the defense isn't bad, they simply do not inspire trust in me. If the defense needs to win the game, a "W" in the win column isn't as likely as it has been in years prior.

I agree, our pass rush is like watching kittens play, it's cute not ferocious like you mentioned..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    I agree, our pass rush is like watching kittens play, it's cute not ferocious like you mentioned..
    The fact we have not had our 2 best pass rushers playing in a game together just might have something to do with this!!

But it makes sense... Steelers rather give receivers a 10 yard cushion and keep everything in front and hope the offense messes up then generate some turnovers.

Is exactly how the 9er's and ratbirds play also...copying Le beau but the difference is a lack of turnovers...

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Thread Information