Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop with the x-fire blitzes already!

Bookmark and Share

Stop with the x-fire blitzes already!

Seriously, they are doing NOTHING at all to create any kind of pressure. We smash both of our MLBs into a big pile of bodies, the QB remains untouched in the pocket and abuse that big hole in the middle for his TEs and whatnot. I don't get it. It seems to be the only blitz they send. Also, the passrush outside of James Harrison and Keisel seems very lackluster. They just give up on plays when they don't rush right through the o-linemen. I mean, this is the same offense which gave up 7 or 9 sacks against the Ravens only a couple of weeks ago. And its been a theme for most of the season. Our two OLBs, when healthy, can provide amazing pass-rush, but it stops there. For some reason our MLBs just don't do anything what-so-ever against the pass anymore.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

LOL you could see it coming from a mile away on TV...

On the flip side, why were we playing 20 yards off the WR on D?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Those fire blitzes are a staple of a Dick Lebeau defense. He invented them and now every team uses them on a regular basis. Normally they work well but Alex Smith was holding the ball a little bit longer than normal forcing the Steelers to show their hand on defense.

The fire zone blitzes work best when you get them running up at the last possible split second before the ball is snapped. That way you can confuse offensive line and hopefully sneak atleast 1 guy through for a quick sack or pressure.

Last night it didn't work because both Foote and Farrior or Farrior and Timmons were coming up ready to rush and the 49ers lineman were able to crash block towards the middle and stuff those holes.

Normally speaking I'll take the fire zone type blitzes because they are pretty effective but not last night.

..:: SIXBURGH ::..
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Those fire blitzes are a staple of a Dick Lebeau defense. He invented them and now every team uses them on a regular basis. Normally they work well but Alex Smith was holding the ball a little bit longer than normal forcing the Steelers to show their hand on defense.

The fire zone blitzes work best when you get them running up at the last possible split second before the ball is snapped. That way you can confuse offensive line and hopefully sneak atleast 1 guy through for a quick sack or pressure.

Last night it didn't work because both Foote and Farrior or Farrior and Timmons were coming up ready to rush and the 49ers lineman were able to crash block towards the middle and stuff those holes.

Normally speaking I'll take the fire zone type blitzes because they are pretty effective but not last night.
    Honestly, when was the last time those have been effective on a consistant basis? 1996?

For us? Not lately, our LB'rs suck and cannot even sniff a sack!!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I have been saying for some time now that Lebeau's blitzes are stale and predictable....old man please retire.....

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I have been saying for some time now that Lebeau's blitzes are stale and predictable....old man please retire.....
    We'll get burnt at the stake. But hell yea his D has been going downhill!

Veteran
    Steelers have a huge rushing the passer problem. We get no consistent pressure on the QB. I believe that's the main reason why we're not getting more turn overs. If we pressure the QB, that forces them to rush throws, force the ball and make mistakes, and that leads to turn overs.

We need to desperately find someone that could rush the passer next year, so we can rush 4 or 5 and get pressure and drop the rest in coverage. We need another defensive playmaker and urgent help on the OL (urgent enough to draft one and sign a free agent as well.)

Most of the Steelers blitzes are telegraphed. Now I'm not going to sit here and say after all these years that LeBeau's system is suddenly not working, but it might need to be refreshed once in a while. You can blitz all you want; if I know your corners are playing 12 yards off, it simply makes for an easier hot route (curl, slant, hitch, etc.).

Steelers played a dominant physical man coverage game vs the Pats and shut down what is considered one of the best offenses in football. But we haven't seen that defense since, why?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Lebeau didn't suddenly forget how to coach, the dude has forgotten more about football than 90% of the coaches in the NFL will every know. He never uses a play sheet on the sidelines, everything he comes up with he has in his head. That's amazing in itself.

With more and more teams using the 34, everybody is seeing it more often and learning how to gameplan around it. Even 5 years ago the quick release QB was not as popular as he is now. Manning did it, Brady did it, and that's about it. Now you have Quarterbacks all over the league getting rid of the ball quickly and offensive lines learning how to block exotic blitzes.

You see the Steelers secondary stepping up more this year, thanks to Coach Lake and the young players stepping up. If you don't have that, our defense is mediocre at best. The pass rush is inconsistent because Woodley and Harrison have missed so much time. It's a combination of a lot of things but it all comes down to execution. If the Steelers execute their defense correctly it's hard to beat still, but lack of healthy personnel has been a problem as has the age in some cases.

Thread Information