Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's cut to the chase, you sit Ben Roethlisberger vs the Rams

Bookmark and Share
    I suspect Ben will play, . . . purely because he wants to and won't be told no!!

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    I believe Ben hurt or not gave us the best chance to win last night, home field was on the line etc

now i firmly believe they should sit Ben the last 2 games... period. home field is gone, and we are already in the playoffs.

We wont win in playoffs w/ Batch or Dixon, get Ben healthy now!
    ^^^ Best statement made on any board! He was our best chance, BUT I believe Batch could have gotten us through that game...

My Mood
    Chatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    I believe Ben hurt or not gave us the best chance to win last night, home field was on the line etc

now i firmly believe they should sit Ben the last 2 games... period. home field is gone, and we are already in the playoffs.

We wont win in playoffs w/ Batch or Dixon, get Ben healthy now!
    I AGREE HERE 100% Especially the first sentence...

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Batch is well liked. A local boy who made good. But this should be his last year. He's just not that viable as an NFL back-up. Lefty should be back next season. In the interim, would rather see Dixon play. He's got a strong arm and can run. Ben as a pocket passer with a bum leg is a pretty lame option. It's just not his game.
    Letting Dixon get some playing time makes sense to me. He is the best option if Ben can't go come playoff time. But what's logical doesn't seem to mesh with Tomlin's way of thinking. That Ben played the fourth quarter on Monday still irks me.
    By the by, Steelers are now ranked in the bottom 10 of NFL teams in scoring offense. BA needs to hang it up A.S.A.P. Against top performing defenses this year, Steelers are averaging 10 points per game. Pathetic.
    Last edited by steelspikes; 12-21-2011 at 01:02 PM.
    STEELSPIKES

Sounds like they're going to shut Ben down the rest of the reg season.

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has not announced his intentions at quarterback publicly or within the organization, but it is widely believed in the front office that Ben Roethlisberger will rest his high ankle sprain against the St. Louis Rams and could sit out Week 17 as well.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai
    Roethlisberger was clearly hobbled during Monday's 20-3 loss to the San Francisco 49ers. He was immobile and had to adjust his plant foot on throws to compensate for the injury. With Pittsburgh assured a playoff spot and trailing the Baltimore Ravens for the AFC North title on a tiebreaker, the Steelers will focus on being healthy for the postseason.

Charlie Batch is Roethlisberger's backup. Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians prefers the veteran to Dennis Dixon, but others in the organization believe Dixon's athleticism and improvisational skills make him the more viable starter. Should Batch struggle and become a sitting target behind a wounded offensive line, Dixon might see the field.

On Tuesday, Tomlin denied wanting to sit Roethlisberger during Monday night's game, contradicting the quarterback's own account of being approached to come out late. Tomlin did acknowledge that the injury affected Roethlisberger's game.

"I'm sure it did," Tomlin told SiriusXM NFL Radio. "A lot of his game is predicated on mobility and so forth. But he wanted to give it a shot, we wanted him to give it a shot. We don't make any excuses for what we tried to do (Monday)."

Center Maurkice Pouncey, who missed Monday night's game, is likely to sit another week as well, according to sources.

Quote Originally Posted by steelspikes View Post
    By the by, Steelers are now ranked in the bottom 10 of NFL teams in scoring offense. BA needs to hang it up A.S.A.P. Against top performing defenses this year, Steelers are averaging 10 points per game. Pathetic.
    Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding a winner

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding a winner
    Tomlin loves his veteran players as much as his veteren play callers...

IMO Tomlin needs to talk them both into retirement!

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 21, 2011
    Roethlisberger laughs off report he won't play
    Ben Roethlisberger was surprised by an NFL Network report that he will not play Saturday against the St. Louis Rams.

The report, made via Tweet by Jason La Canfora, claimed that team officials told him Roethlisberger would sit out against the Rams.

"The NFL Network said that? Not really, they always like to say things," Roethlisberger said when asked if he was surprised by the report.

"Unless coach has said something, I’m going to wait to hear it from him."

Roethlisberger said he expects to play.

© Maurkice Pouncey also expects to play this week. He's been fitted with a brace for his injured ankle.

I read somewhere that the Steelers, even if they lose their final 2 games, have locked up the #5. That being the case, and a trip to Denver or Oakland on the Horizon, why bother playing Ben vs either Cleveland or St. Louis? Except from a stats standpoint, it makes no sense. Team should be fine vs both teams and besides, with Ben's ankle, BOTH QB'S need game experience this season.

Irony here, Steelers won't play Ben, Houston and Baltimore will lose, leaving the door wide open for the Steelers to secure the #2 if they beat Cleveland? Do you play him at that point? For a chance to move up I say yes, but if everything is locked up already, I say no.

Rookie Free Agent StillersSound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    I read somewhere that the Steelers, even if they lose their final 2 games, have locked up the #5.
    I think they would need to win 1 more. They would be tied with the Jets if they win out. I'm not sure what the tie-breaker is. Their divisional records at the moment are the same 3-2.

I don't understand why we have 3 back-ups on the roster and not one of them can step in and manage one game and not throw it away. I think it has something to do with our o-line being one of the worst in the league. They don't want to see Batch get killed on the field. Ben needs to take these two weeks off and just rest since we aren't going to get a first round bye. We need him to be able to run somewhat... Is that even going to be possible this year?

Thread Information