Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A potential Super Bowl winner thrives under pressure...the Steelers did not

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    There is nothing nice about last night's performance except this. I don't have to listen to any dipshit telling me the Steelers suck except on this board and here it's like brother's and sister's so it doesn't **** me off in the least. Man, that game really sucked.

And their fans.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speeed View Post
    Remember we only had one offense option - drip and pass. Ben was not going to scramble and keep any play alive. The 49's knew it and we knew it. As a result, it kept our watered down D on the field far longer than normal.
    Ok, there's a reason I said EVERY big game. Was Ben injured in either of the Ravens games? Was he injured in the Texans game? No. The Steelers have yet to beat a good team, besides maybe the Patriots. And the Patriots aren't going anywhere in the playoffs this year with that one sided team.

Rookie Free Agent
    That game was a disapointment to say the least I was expecting a team to show some purpose last night the only purpose I seen was a bunch of talent that didn't know what to do in the spot light, the season is not lost though, we made it to the playoffs regardless and no team wants Pittsburgh in the playoffs cause at any given weekend we can play insipired football, then again we can come out and lay a egg

One game... A bad game... but very tough circumstances
    Ben gimpy, Harrison out, no Pouncey, West Coast road game

Let's not overreact here...

Starter
    My Mood
    Clowns
    I just don't believe in this team. They played with no heart at all last night. We needed other guys to step up. Weve been winning, but ugly. We barely beat the Browns, Colts, Chiefs. 49ers are a good team, but we made them look better than they really are. I can accept a loss. But I can't accept a lack of effort. We only put up 3 lousy points? we looked like the Cleveland Browns last night. This team just doesn't have it. Ya we're in the playoffs, but I don't see us getting past the second round. They just have no fight in them.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    that is why I don't see them making that type of run.......They play like crap on the road and havn't shown up in big games...The talent is there......This team is just to banged up and stupid at times....
    I agree that the Steelers this season especially Ben are a much much better home team then they are on the road. That is why it is so critical to win this division and get that bye week so you can at least guarantee yourself one home game and maybe a second like they did last year when the Pats lost. Right now while I wont say it's impossible for the Steelers to go on the road and win 3 weeks in a row at Denver,New England and Baltimore I just dont see them being able to do that this season if thats what it's going to take to get back to the Super Bowl.

--- Added 12/20/2011 at 03:43 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by igor0190 View Post
    One game... A bad game... but very tough circumstances
    Ben gimpy, Harrison out, no Pouncey, West Coast road game

Let's not overreact here...
    I agree that it's just one loss and there is still a lot of football still ahead of us. The Steelers had a big opportunity to put a strangle hold on that top seed in the AFC and in the division and they simply didnot get it done. Gotta put it behind you at this point now and look forward not backward and try to get things done that we can control and that's winning the next 2 weeks against the Rams and Browns and see how the Ravens finish out and hopefully they slip one more time which is definitely possible...

I don't know if I agree with the assessment about SB champ thriving. If everyone is healthy, I say I agree the Steelers dropped the ball last night. But I don't hold them accountable for not getting it done when their franchise is out there on 1.5 legs and Trai Essex doing his best matador impression.

My Mood
    Mellow
    babe, great topic. i've been trying to figure this team out all season long. i had concerns in the pre-season then opening week came and bam! granted, the 4 losses we have had were to all 10 plus win teams...that's not too shabby.

but there are 4 games that by all measures should have been blowouts and out opponents had the ball with a chance to tie or win at the end of the game (indy, jax, kc, and clev) now usually we drop one of those games...we did not this year...so i guess that's a plus...but those games shouldn't have even been contests.

this team doesn't do anything great or dominate. they aren't dominate in the pass, certainly not in the run. they don't suffocate with their secondary, they don't get QB pressure like we are used too, and now they have trouble stopping the run. all in all, this team is above average to good in all aspects, but not great in anything.

they can't hang their hat on anything this season. add in all the injuries that this team is dealing with...well this could be a very short trip in the post-season.

this HAS TO BE ARIANS LAST YEAR! his offense is not NFL caliber. we have the weapons, and our line could be good enough for this team to put up a lot of points. but time and again we get bogged down and come away with nothing. john gruden said last night after ben's first pick, that the INT was due to "poor route distribution". and that's arians offense in a nut shell inside the red zone.

lebeau has to pick a style of defense and stick with it. if we are blitzing, then play press coverage. mug the receivers at the LOS like what worked so well against NE. alex smith was 6,7,8 and yard outing us with quick releases all night.

i'm usually not soooo negative about the steelers. realistic yes. but i don't have any confidence in THIS team to get back to the super bowl. the FO needs to get the o-line fixed THIS offseason...and they need to get a new OC as soon as this season ends.

and there is my pissed off rant for the day!
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleigh Steel View Post
    babe, great topic. i've been trying to figure this team out all season long. i had concerns in the pre-season then opening week came and bam! granted, the 4 losses we have had were to all 10 plus win teams...that's not too shabby.
    Is that something to be too proud of though? We could finish with 12 wins and 4 losses, but if those 12 wins were against awful teams and the 4 losses were against good teams, what does that say about the team? They don't do well when they face adversity. And unfortunately, we won't be facing the Rams or the Browns in the playoffs.

My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Is that something to be too proud of though? We could finish with 12 wins and 4 losses, but if those 12 wins were against awful teams and the 4 losses were against good teams, what does that say about the team? They don't do well when they face adversity. And unfortunately, we won't be facing the Rams or the Browns in the playoffs.
    just for reference sake, the last time we won the super bowl we lost 4 games...all to playoff teams.

but you're right, i'm not proud of what they have done this year. we are 10-4 and it feels like, at times, that we are below .500.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

Thread Information