Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: A potential Super Bowl winner thrives under pressure...the Steelers did not

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    steelersbabex25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    College Park, MD
    Posts
    12,055
    My Mood
    Addicted

    A potential Super Bowl winner thrives under pressure...the Steelers did not

    Yeah. The title pretty much says it all. The Steelers were given an amazing gift from the Chargers last night. All they had to do was to beat the 49ers tonight and for all intents and purposes, they had clinched the one seed and home field advantage throughout the playoffs. But of course, they could not get it done.

    Let's go back to the historic '05-'06 season. That was a team that without a doubt thrived under the pressure. They won every game that they had to win to get into the playoffs, and every game in the playoffs, obviously, to get to the Super Bowl. This team is nowhere close to that team 6 years ago. You can't go far if you can't win games in crucial situations.

  2. #2
    Stairwayto7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    Posts
    6,544
    My Mood
    Horny
    Not giving up hope yet, but we do have some issues. There is no way if Ben were healthy he throws three picks in a fumble tonight! And it doesnt help not having Harrison and Woodley for most of the game.
    We dont creat turnovers without a pass rush!


    **** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

  3. #3
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan City, IN
    Posts
    12,977
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Yeah. The title pretty much says it all. The Steelers were given an amazing gift from the Chargers last night. All they had to do was to beat the 49ers tonight and for all intents and purposes, they had clinched the one seed and home field advantage throughout the playoffs. But of course, they could not get it done.

    Let's go back to the historic '05-'06 season. That was a team that without a doubt thrived under the pressure. They won every game that they had to win to get into the playoffs, and every game in the playoffs, obviously, to get to the Super Bowl. This team is nowhere close to that team 6 years ago. You can't go far if you can't win games in crucial situations.
    That was just a magical run and its hard to repeat a run like that.......But you're right......A huge gift from the Chargers and the Steelers just **** the bed tonight......From Ben, Tomlin, BA, LeBeau, the defense....People will bring up the turn overs and yes they were a huge factor....But yet again the defense couldn't stop the 49ers at key times in the game....Just one big joke of a performance tonight....

  4. #4
    steelersbabex25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    College Park, MD
    Posts
    12,055
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    That was just a magical run and its hard to repeat a run like that
    Takes some magic to win the Super Bowl, any team in any year. The Steelers have **** the bed in every big game this year.

  5. #5
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan City, IN
    Posts
    12,977
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Takes some magic to win the Super Bowl, any team in any year. The Steelers have **** the bed in every big game this year.
    that is why I don't see them making that type of run.......They play like crap on the road and havn't shown up in big games...The talent is there......This team is just to banged up and stupid at times....

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,867
    When the pressure gets turned up, they start turning the ball over. This cost them the SB last year as well.

  7. #7
    Assistant Coach coldrolled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fort Myers Beach
    Posts
    5,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    When the pressure gets turned up, they start turning the ball over. This cost them the SB last year as well.
    They fake noone out. Our offense is pathetic against a good D.

    We have no deception in our offense on the field.

    Maybe one or two plays a game. that wont cut it in the playoffs.

    If they sign Arians one more year. I may have to cancel my cable.

  8. #8
    2nd String
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    951
    Remember we only had one offense option - drip and pass. Ben was not going to scramble and keep any play alive. The 49's knew it and we knew it. As a result, it kept our watered down D on the field far longer than normal.

    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Takes some magic to win the Super Bowl, any team in any year. The Steelers have **** the bed in every big game this year.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,867
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    They fake noone out. Our offense is pathetic against a good D.

    We have no deception in our offense on the field.

    I saw a fantastic play by SF yesterday. The WR came in motion at full speed from one side to the other. The QB snapped the ball, turned and quickly handed it to him and he was able to get around the corner before the Steelers were off line. That's a play that would work great for one of our WRs.

  10. #10
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    You just don't see that inspired play, a team that rises to the occasion and does everything in their power to not lose the game on their own. A team that finds a way to win under the most adverse of circumstances.

    I'm not suggesting that they aren't trying to win, but simply the backups just cannot hold their own and play well enough in these big games and it's catching up to them now.

    Ben is forcing the ball in coverage where he can't get his usual zip on it to get it past the defender before they make their break on it. The receivers are allowing some passes to slip through their hands and it ends up falling right into the defenders waiting arms.

    The offensive line cannot keep anyone off of him and the holes in the running game are few and far between. Sanders has been hurt, Ward isn't getting any reps, and Wallace has been somewhat inconsistent the last month or so.

    The defensive line isn't able to keep a healthy front 7 in the game. Harrison it out, then Woodley is out, then they're both out, then one is back in, then he's out. Jason Worilds was completely lost again and Woodley played decently when he was in the game but he's still trying to get back to his level of play before the 6 week injury layoff.

    Throw all that together with a gameplan that makes you want to jump out a window and you can see where this team just isn't where it needs to be for a super bowl run.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 41 Super Bowls Down
    By kgreen in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 08:56 AM
  2. Steelers born July 8, 1933
    By Steelerlyn in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-09-2010, 11:18 AM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-21-2009, 03:17 AM
  4. Steelers fan's big wish came true
    By Stlrs4Life in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-12-2009, 08:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •