Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A potential Super Bowl winner thrives under pressure...the Steelers did not

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleigh Steel View Post
    just for reference sake, the last time we won the super bowl we lost 4 games...all to playoff teams.

but you're right, i'm not proud of what they have done this year. we are 10-4 and it feels like, at times, that we are below .500.
    The 08 team was very different. Almost not even comparable to this years team. Our defense this year is still among the best in the league, don't get me wrong, but in 08 we could have won the majority of our games even if the offense never took the field. This years defense can not carry the team like it did 3 years ago.

Rookie Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Let's go back to the historic '05-'06 season. That was a team that without a doubt thrived under the pressure. They won every game that they had to win to get into the playoffs, and every game in the playoffs, obviously, to get to the Super Bowl. This team is nowhere close to that team 6 years ago. You can't go far if you can't win games in crucial situations.
    LOL. I can imagine all the whining and crying if this team would have been 7-5 after 12 games like the "historic" 2005 squad. Luckily, this year's edition didn't have to go on an epic run just to qualify for the playoffs on the last day of the season, seeing how they've already qualified for the postseason and all. Ironic, considering most of Cowher's playoff résumé up to that point consisted of squandered #1 seeds.

A little perspective, folks...
    Last edited by steelers75; 12-20-2011 at 06:22 PM.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by steelers75 View Post
    LOL. I can imagine all the whining and crying if this team would have been 7-5 after 12 games like the "historic" 2005 squad. Luckily, this year's edition didn't have to go on an epic run just to qualify for the playoffs on the last day of the season, seeing how they've already qualified for the postseason and all. Ironic, considering most of Cowher's tenure up to that point consisted of squandered #1 seeds...
    Wasn't the point at all but ok.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I don't think any of us are convinced this team can get on and stay on a roll right now. There are so many injuries to key players that regardless of the "standard being the standard" there is an inevitable dropoff to some degree. There will be significant changes to this team in 2012, so I'm hoping they can pull it together for one last big run this season. Only time will tell but they've got to get healthy if they want to do so.

Rookie Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    I don't think any of us are convinced this team can get on and stay on a roll right now.
    Before the letdown last night, they had won their last four games straight and eight of their last nine. So what constitutes a "roll?" I understand the concern about the injuries, though. I'm worried about that gimped up ankle of Ben's too. We'll only go as far as he takes us.
    Last edited by steelers75; 12-20-2011 at 10:04 PM.

I don't think any of us are convinced this team can get on and stay on a roll right now. There are so many injuries to key players that regardless of the "standard being the standard" there is an inevitable dropoff to some degree. There will be significant changes to this team in 2012, so I'm hoping they can pull it together for one last big run this season. Only time will tell but they've got to get healthy if they want to do so.
    Sorry... Fire Arians first.. Then see what happens...

Draft OL... QB... SS... ILB...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Getting on roll where everything comes together. Not just winning but getting healthy, executing game plans with dominance, and finding ways to win against really good teams. The Steelers record this year may be 10-4 but the teams they've beaten are not exactly world beaters. The teams they've lost to are all in the playoff race right now. Yes they did beat the Patriots which was awesome, but that's the only real significant feat.

Are they going to be able to pull it together against the best teams in the AFC, on the road in the playoffs? They haven't proven they can do so yet. I'm not saying they can't but it's a question mark nonetheless. A win is a win and you can only play who's on your schedule but there have been enough good teams so far that you'd like to have seen the Steelers be able to take care of business against the upper class opponents on their schedule.

The talent is there, no question but can they pull it together now these last 2 games and make some noise in the playoffs...

My Mood
    Clowns
    Getting on roll where everything comes together. Not just winning but getting healthy, executing game plans with dominance, and finding ways to win against really good teams. The Steelers record this year may be 10-4 but the teams they've beaten are not exactly world beaters. The teams they've lost to are all in the playoff race right now. Yes they did beat the Patriots which was awesome, but that's the only real significant feat.

Are they going to be able to pull it together against the best teams in the AFC, on the road in the playoffs? They haven't proven they can do so yet. I'm not saying they can't but it's a question mark nonetheless. A win is a win and you can only play who's on your schedule but there have been enough good teams so far that you'd like to have seen the Steelers be able to take care of business against the upper class opponents on their schedule.

The talent is there, no question but can they pull it together now these last 2 games and make some noise in the playoffs...
    I really believe the Steelers on any good day can beat any team in the AFC in the playoffs whether it's on the road or at home. I have a ton of confidence in them being able to go into whoever wins the AFC West and win that game, and I have confident as well in being able to go into New England and beat the Pats with their horrific defense, and beat Houston with a 3rd string QB starting. That leaves the Ravens of course who I think will give the Steelers the best challenge out of any AFC team but I still think it will be extremely tough for the Rats to beat the Steelers a 3rd time this season...

My Mood
    Manic
    We are certainly better than the Packers we will be fine.This team does better when it doesn't have time off MARK IT DOWN WE WILL BE IN THE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AGAINST THE PATRIOTS.OH YEA I FORGOT WAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWA

Quote Originally Posted by Stairwayto7 View Post
    Not giving up hope yet, but we do have some issues. There is no way if Ben were healthy he throws three picks in a fumble tonight! And it doesnt help not having Harrison and Woodley for most of the game.
    We dont creat turnovers without a pass rush!
    They should not have played him. he hurt the team in a way! He is a great competitor but he was not ready to play. He didn't practice all week and it showed. Defense missed #92 though.
    #56 was MIA?

--- Added 12/21/2011 at 09:57 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    We are certainly better than the Packers we will be fine.This team does better when it doesn't have time off MARK IT DOWN WE WILL BE IN THE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AGAINST THE PATRIOTS.OH YEA I FORGOT WAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWA
    Better than GB? That's the team that lit us up in the SB. We have no consistency whatsoever...AFC Champ against NE? I hope you're right
    "HAIL TO PITT"

Thread Information