Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 56

Thread: It's Time to Start Questioning Tomlin

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #31
    Head Coach LatrobePA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    THIS IS MY HOUSE BITCHES
    Posts
    12,127
    We lost gang, move on... The niners are a good team, we wern't...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

  2. #32
    Rookie Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    He didn't draft anyone better because he still managed to always finish with a good record despite the $hit quarterbacks that he had, so he never had high draft picks. When he finally ended up with a high first round pick after a rare losing season, we ended up with a pro-bowl quarterback.
    Yeah, his stubborn insistence of sticking by that pile of suck named Kordell Stewart as "his guy" to be the starting QB for FIVE YEARS (and pissing away most of Bettis' prime in the process) was absolute coaching brilliance. And it was Dan Rooney who stepped in and INSISTED he take Roethlisberger, because he was about about to take Shawn Andrews:

    Imagine what might have occurred in the past decade had the Steelers drafted offensive lineman Shawn Andrews in the first round in 2004 instead of Ben Roethlisberger.

    That was their intention, until Dan Rooney stepped in.

    Rooney, in his 2007 autobiography, wrote that as the countdown to the 11th pick of the '04 draft continued "our people seemed to have focused on Shawn Andrews, a big offensive tackle from Arkansas as our likely number-one pick.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10038/1033856-66.stm

    What would have happened? Simple. Another generation of 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust and perpetually falling short in AFC title games at home due to completely incompetent QB play would have been assured, and we'd be working on a 32-year championship drought at this point. And it would have largely been Cowher's fault for passing on Roethlisberger.

    --- Added 12/20/2011 at 01:41 PM ---

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    Tomlin was a nobody.
    So were Cowher and Noll. Still a ridiculously stupid argument. And now that Warner's retired, Whiz has really been tearing it up in Pittsburgh West, hasn't he? One fluke Super Bowl appearance and one other playoff appearance in arguably the shittiest division in the league is really noteworthy stuff. His "masterful" handling of the QB situation there since Warner hung them up is reminiscent of Cowher's handling (more like neglect) of the position in Pittsburgh. I also seriously doubt Bidwill is going to give him 14 years of rope like Cowher got to finally figure things the hell out.
    Last edited by steelers75; 12-20-2011 at 02:57 PM.

  3. #33
    JensK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Denmark, Aalborg
    Posts
    4,036
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    We lost gang, move on... The niners are a good team, we wern't...
    Pretty much this. Havn't watched the game until now as I had an exam at Uni today, and even though I'm pissed off out of my mind, we got beaten by a better team yesterday. I can't really fault the defense. Yes, they gave up a couple of touchdowns, but the offense gave them nothing to work with. Was it 5 turnovers or something like that? And yet they held them to 6 points until the end of 3rd quarter. That is pretty decent against a decent offense.

    Ben was clearly not alright at all... The first 2 interceptions is all on that foot. Woodley appears to be out again with that hammy...
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,453
    Quote Originally Posted by steelers75 View Post
    Here's some "reality" for you. The notion of the Rooneys taking a candidate solely due to race and willingly mortgaging years of the team's future by doing so is beyond retarded. They stand to LOSE money if they field an inferior product, and the team already has one of the thinnest margins in the league. You're the one who needs educated, not me.
    Still doesn't change the fact that you implied I'm a racist and then called me a bigot, clearly not understanding the difference between the two words.

    I hope one day that idiots like you who loosely throw around words like racist and bigot will realize that you're the reason that when something racist actually occurs, others are able to claim that there is no racism, but rather there are only morons who are too stupid to make a reasonable argument and so they simply cry racism, and or they are so stupid that they actually perceive a non-racist situation as being racist.

    They stood to possibly lose money if they hired you as the head coach and the Steelers went 0-16. They didn't automatically stand to lose money by hiring a guy like Tomlin, but that doesn't mean he was more qualified than other candidates because he wasn't. Steeler fans aren't fans that would stop going to games just because of a few mediocre seasons.

    Quote Originally Posted by steelers75 View Post
    Yeah, his stubborn insistence of sticking by that pile of suck named Kordell Stewart as "his guy" to be the starting QB for FIVE YEARS (and pissing away most of Bettis' prime in the process) was absolute coaching brilliance. And it was Dan Rooney who stepped in and INSISTED he take Roethlisberger, because he was about about to take Shawn Andrews:



    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10038/1033856-66.stm

    What would have happened? Simple. Another generation of 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust and perpetually falling short in AFC title games at home due to completely incompetent QB play would have been assured, and we'd be working on a 32-year championship drought at this point. And it would have largely been Cowher's fault for passing on Roethlisberger.

    --- Added 12/20/2011 at 01:41 PM ---



    So were Cowher and Noll. Still a ridiculously stupid argument. And now that Warner's retired, Whiz has really been tearing it up in Pittsburgh West, hasn't he? One fluke Super Bowl appearance and one other playoff appearance in arguably the shittiest division in the league is really noteworthy stuff. His "masterful" handling of the QB situation there since Warner hung them up is reminiscent of Cowher's handling (more like neglect) of the position in Pittsburgh. I also seriously doubt Bidwill is going to give him 14 years of rope like Cowher got to finally figure things the hell out.
    What other option did he have other than Kordell? Didn't he take the team to the AFC Championship game with Kordell, only to lose to a nearly undefeated Broncos team? And didn't management let Kordell's best receiver (Thigpen) walk the following season?

    Rooney can take his self-promoting garbage and stuff it up his senile a$$ as he serves his duties to Ireland while his team is run into the ground back home. Maybe instead of giving interviews about how "he stepped in" to supposedly make Cowher take Roethlisberger he should've been on the phone telling Goodel that he had no right suspending his quarterback who was not charged with any crimes, and that if he tried to suspend him, he would take all available action against the league. 31 other owners would've never let their star quarterback get suspended.

    And to your final, and most idiotic statement, the simple fact is that Tomlin wouldn't win 5 games with the personnel that Whisenhunt has.

  5. #35
    Rookie Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    Still doesn't change the fact that you implied I'm a racist and then called me a bigot, clearly not understanding the difference between the two words.

    I hope one day that idiots like you who loosely throw around words like racist and bigot will realize that you're the reason that when something racist actually occurs, others are able to claim that there is no racism, but rather there are only morons who are too stupid to make a reasonable argument and so they simply cry racism, and or they are so stupid that they actually perceive a non-racist situation as being racist.
    Keep playing semantics all you want. Doesn't change the fact that your "Tomlin is a Token" argument is idiotic and completely fukking ignorant, along with being COMPLETELY off base.


    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    Rooney can take his self-promoting garbage and stuff it up his senile a$$ as he serves his duties to Ireland while his team is run into the ground back home.
    Old, senile ***? Rooney has forgotten more than we'll ever know combined about how to run a NFL team.

    The team is being "run into the ground?" How so? Oh, I understand now. You're one of the many spoiled jackasses that have been ruined by this team's success and want to burn the damn house down if they don't win a Super Bowl every fukking year. "ZOMG! WE DI-ENT WIN DA SUPER BOWL! FIRE DA COACHES! DEY SUCK!"

    Feel free to find another bandwagon, dipshit. I hear the Packers are taking applications.


    Quote Originally Posted by NYCsteelersfan View Post
    And to your final, and most idiotic statement, the simple fact is that Tomlin wouldn't win 5 games with the personnel that Whisenhunt has.
    Funny, because he went 5-11 last year. He's not doing **** with it either. Read up some, dumbass.
    Last edited by steelers75; 12-20-2011 at 04:35 PM.

  6. #36
    I am pretty great. Rampage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,428
    I have always been concerned with Tomlin. He has absolutely zero awareness when it comes to strategic clock management and the game plans he allows from his coordinators are usually questionable.

    I don't look at him as a bad head coach, but I consider him to be more of a motivator of men than strategic mastermind.

  7. #37
    Rookie Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    I don't look at him as a bad head coach, but I consider him to be more of a motivator of men than strategic mastermind.
    See: William Laird Cowher. (This is for that idiot bigot I responded to earlier's benefit).

  8. #38
    2nd String UKSTEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dudley, United Kingdom
    Posts
    627
    Tomlin is learning on the job and he appears to be a slow learner!

    He's far too lightweight and needs to man up and start making some decisions.

    He's handicapped by a QB that tries to hard without engaging his brain, a QB that rates BA???? Handicapped by BA a co-ordinator with a hidden agenda and shallow gameplans!

    He's handicapped by Dick and his band of over the hill favourites that he is too scared to question.

    Mike is even doing a pretty poor job of things he can influence, challenges, clock management et al.

    He seems to have very little presence on the sideline, compared to Cowher!!

    Needs to man up, not beyond him, getting rid of BA is vital - otherwise all this offensive talent is going to be worth ****!!

  9. #39
    Rookie Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by UKSTEELER View Post
    He seems to have very little presence on the sideline, compared to Cowher!!
    Give me a goddamned break. If there was any coach who hurt the team with "indecision," it was Cowher. Namely the Oakland debacle in 2006 when he started Ben after sustaining a concussion a week before, let him play the whole game even though he was even MORE of a pick machine than he was last night, and ROUTINELY let "his guys" continue to start while younger and BETTER players rotted on the bench.

    Cowher was a good coach. He wasn't all that. He certainly isn't deserving of the demigod status many of the Nation give him.

  10. #40
    2nd String UKSTEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dudley, United Kingdom
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by steelers75 View Post
    Give me a goddamned break. If there was any coach who hurt the team with "indecision," it was Cowher. Namely the Oakland debacle in 2006 when he started Ben after sustaining a concussion a week before, let him play the whole game even though he was even MORE of a pick machine than he was last night, and ROUTINELY let "his guys" continue to start while younger and BETTER players rotted on the bench.

    Cowher was a good coach. He wasn't all that. He certainly isn't deserving of the demigod status many of the Nation give him.
    I was merely pointing out Bill's high octane sideline demeanor, not his coaching ability!

    As you pointed out he was far from perfect, but at least he looked like he cared!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. If you were Tomlin, would you start Big Ben?
    By BlitzburghRockCity in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12-19-2011, 07:24 PM
  2. Looks like Leftwich will start
    By Steel Trap86 in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-14-2010, 01:47 PM
  3. Steelers should give Tomlin a new deal
    By 75Steeler in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-04-2010, 03:15 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 02:32 AM
  5. Q&A Mike Tomlin.....
    By DIESELMAN in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-21-2007, 01:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •