Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were Tomlin, would you start Big Ben?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

If you were Tomlin, would you start Big Ben?

Tomlin said in his press conference earlier this week, when asked if he would sit Ben if the Ravens won, "if he can play he'll play, I don't play that game".

Maybe he does end up playing that game after all. He can justify the the ultimate decision on Ben's health but in the back of his mind I'm sure he's talked about it with the coaches on if the Ravens win, do they bother playing Ben on Monday night?

Ultimately I think they will simply because anything can still happen with 2 weeks left so essentially "giving up" is not an option IMO.

Mike Tomlin has another one of those decisions that fall only in the lap of a head coach -- whether to play quarterback Ben Roethlisberger Monday night in San Francisco.
    Roethlisberger said he will do everything he can to play and, indeed, his left ankle temporarily was put in a cast Thursday. The cast was then removed, and it will be used as a mold for a New Jersey company to make a plastic brace.

He would wear the brace in practice and, the Steelers hope, in the game against the 49ers.

Tomlin's decision is threefold: a. Will Roethlisberger be able to perform well enough to help his team? b. Can he move on his feet well enough to protect himself by warding off a potential killer hit? c. Does he risk making the injury worse by playing?
    "I don't know if it's my decision," Roethlisberger said. "I'm going to do everything I can to be out there. It's probably more on them. So, if I'm not out there, it's probably because they didn't feel comfortable with me being out there, protecting myself or whatever it is.

"They know better than I do. I can just tell them whether I think I can go or not, and I think I can go all the time. I'm going to do everything I can to be out there for this team."

If Ravens beat SD, I would not let BEn play. I think we can still win the game with Batch. Ben is the key for a deep run - on the road at that.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Tomlin said earlier in the week that he wants Ben to practice at least a little bit before the game on Monday.

For once I actually agree with Bruce Arians though when he was asked. It's not like we're in week 1 here, Ben has played in 16 games already including the preseason. The gameplan doesn't change, he knows what he's doing. If he can't practice until the warmups before the game but at that point he's looking ok, then play him.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    If Ben is medically cleared, Ben plays.

Rookie Free Agent SteelCurtain1974's Avatar

My Social Networks

Follow SteelCurtain1974 On Twitter Add SteelCurtain1974 on Facebook Add SteelCurtain1974 on Google+
    This is a debate that is even going among the Steelers groups on FB. I am really up in the air about this. Two sides of this, either, one Rest Ben which is what I do for the long playoff run and keep him fresh and healthy, or two, play him to keep the momentum and flow going. It is really a hard choice.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    How can anybody trust old man Charlie at this point?....Batch is old and done....I rather see Dixon then Batch since Dixon can at least make plays with his feet.......Its a tough decision for Tomlin but if the doctors clear Ben and if he practices before the game then Ben should play.......

My Mood
    Chatty
    Im torn as well...what if Ben gets hurts even more...what if his sprain turns into a break. You know the Niners D is gonna gun for him and take him out...Charlie is fragile and not sure Dixon has what it takes...can Hines backup Ben instead??

I just think if we really dont' need this game.....do we?? then sit him. Now if the Ravens lose to SD should we sit him for sure???

I think to protect him from futher injury he should sit out BUT i dont know...makes me mad that in other divisions you can still be in the hunt with a 5-7 record yet with a 10-3 record we are fighting for a playoff spot....sure tells you where the best football teams play.
    Last edited by TampaSteelGirl; 12-16-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

Really, I don't think it is worth the risk of further injury. Rest Roethlisberger, Pouncey and Woodley another week and see what the other guys can do. I would rather lose to the 49ers and have these guys for the playoffs than risking their health for such a game.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's such a fine line to try and tightrope. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

If you play him and he can't finish the game because he gets his ankle twisted up again or gets hit because he couldn't scramble away then you risk losing him the remainder of the season and playoffs.

If you don't play him and the Steelers lose after the Ravens lose, then you blow a golden opportunity to take over the division lead. Even if the Ravens win and you don't play Ben and lose the game, what if they lose to the Bengals yet? You had a chance and didn't seize it.

At this point of the year it's a total crap shoot.

My Mood
    Frustrated
    if we needed a win to get in the playoffs you'd have to go with ben. but the playoffs are all but locked up and we are playing for seeding. i have TOTAL CONFIDENCE in this teams ability to go on the road and win...but only if the team is healthy.

the last 2 weeks shouldn't be a problem for this team regardless of who plays or doesn't. i'd feel confident about taking 11 people from this board to beat the rams and browns...WE CAN DO IT!

right now we should prepare for the playoffs...not seeding. JMHO!
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

Thread Information