Thread: Steelers' Roethlisberger hopes ankle healed by Monday game

Bookmark and Share

Steelers' Roethlisberger hopes ankle healed by Monday game

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger sat out his third practice in a row on Thursday, hoping another 24 hours of rest will help him avoid missing his first start due to injury in more than two years.

"The goal is, as soon as possible, to get in there and get in as much work as I can," Roethlisberger said.

Roethlisberger sprained his left ankle during the second quarter of last Thursday night's 14-3 victory over the Cleveland Browns. He missed two series but played the entire second half.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said the Steelers could wait until after warm-ups ahead of their Monday night game at San Francisco to make a decision about Roethlisberger. Veteran Charlie Batch will get the call if Roethlisberger can't go.

"If this was just a matter of pain, I'd be out there, but it's being physically unable to do certain things," Roethlisberger said.

Arians acknowledged that Roethlisberger would have had to work exclusively out of the shotgun had he tried to practice Thursday. Roethlisberger was able to get under center and take snaps during the second half against the Browns, but he chalked that up to the heat of the moment.

"The second half of that game, you're playing off adrenaline, you're playing off emotion," he said. "The next couple days after that, I just kind of shook my head because I couldn't have done it. I don't know how I did."

Roethlisberger was at least able to briefly shed the walking boot he's gingerly hobbled around in for the previous six days. However, he said he has caught himself "every once in awhile turning it sideways or doing something and it almost puts me to the ground."

Roethlisberger is just one of a handful of regulars who may be out. Linebacker James Harrison is still waiting to see if his one-game suspension for a series of illegal hits on defenseless players will be overturned, while center Maurkice Pouncey is nursing his own left ankle sprain and joined Roethlisberger in the training room Thursday.

Safety Troy Polamalu (hamstring), right tackle Marcus Gilbert (illness) and wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (right foot) also did not participate in practice, though Polamalu and Gilbert are expected to play.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I hope he is a gametime decision only because any advantage you can get is always a benefit. The 49ers will prepare for him to play, that's what any good team will do. However it never hurts to have any bit of element of surprise in your hand.

Ben Roethlisberger said he is "definitely making big progress," but the Steelers quarterback did not commit to playing Monday night in San Francisco.
    Roethlisberger, who sustained a high-ankle sprain last Thursday, has yet to practice this week.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that Roethlisberger has to practice at least one day on a limited basis if he is going to play against the 49ers.

"I'm going to do everything I can to be out there," Roethlisberger said. "I don't know if it's my decision. If it was just a matter of pain I'd be out there. It's physically unable to do certain things."

Roethlisberger said he has been getting "non-stop" treatment as he tries to regain range of motion in his left ankle. He got fitted for a plastic brace today, something that could provide needed support if he practices this week and plays in San Francisco.

The eighth-year veteran said he massage he received last night helped considerably in bringing down the swelling in his injured ankle.
    "It actually looks like an ankle now instead of one big mass of fluid down there," Roethlisberger said.

Roethlisberger said the pain in his ankle is actually worse than after he hurt it against the Browns and then returned to lead the Steelers to a 14-3 win. He said
    "It's one of those things, the second half of that game, you're playing off adrenaline, you're playing off emotion," Roethlisberger said. "It's amazing what adrenaline and wanting to be out there for your guys does."

Roethlisberger hasn't missed a game since December of 2009, when he didn't play in Baltimore after experiencing post-concussion symptoms.

Roethlisberger has been walking for stretches at a time without the aid of a protective boot, and that he and the Steelers are "playing in by ear" as far as when he tries to practice.
    The Steelers' playing on Monday night could be significant as far as whether Roethlisberger will be able to suit up for the game.

"Today's Wednesday if you ask me, so we've got an extra day," Roethlisberger said, "which is a huge blessing."

Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 12-15-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Starter
    I hate to think this, but my instinct is they will try to field him, he will struggle, make a few good plays, that are just not enough. In the meantime, the 49's will get a few scores and get ahead. Eventually, he will be removed from the game and QB X will be put in. After that, D will adjust a little, hold the score down, and we get a FG or TD with the high hopes of closing the gap, but it won't be enough.

Do I want to kick their ***? Yes. Will we? Maybe. Either way, we make the playoffs an I am happy with that!

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    PIT - Ben Roethlisberger injury update - Fri Dec 16, 09:34 AM

Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger (ankle) is not expected to practice Friday, Dec. 16, and is aiming to take part in practice Saturday, Dec. 17. Roethlisberger said his ankle currently feels worse than it during the team's Week 14 game. 'The second half of that game you were playing off adrenaline, you were playing off emotion,' Roethlisberger said. 'The next couple days after that I just shook my head because I don't know how --- I couldn't have done it; I don't know how I did. It's amazing what adrenaline and wanting to be out there for your guys does.'

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Chatty
    Let's just hope he's sleeping in the hyperbaric chamber at night and nap times!!!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

If it hurts bad, I hope he sits this one out. Live to fight another day. Put Dixon in there and keep Woodley, Pouncey and Roethlisberger out.

Thread Information