Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If Ben can stand the pain, should he play vs 49ers?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

If Ben can stand the pain, should he play vs 49ers?

The following article from the Trib talk about how if Ben can stand the pain, he might be able to play next Monday night against the 49ers. Ben's toughness is legendary; there's no better than he is at playing through pain in the league. If he can be out there he's going to be out there come hell or high water.

If the Steelers are going to beat the 49ers, Ben is going to need to play. Having said that, should he play even if he says he can go? San Francisco will be aggressive in their pass rush and will come after Ben with everything they have. The Browns chose not to blitz very much in the 2nd half, why although nobody can justify, but the Steelers next opponent most certainly will.

Is it worth risking Ben's ankle the rest of the season and post season for this game? If you don't play him, you still have a chance if the Steelers play great defense, get the run game going, and make some plays on special teams. Basically everyone has to step up and they certainly could rise to the occasion. Be that as it may, there is a decision to be made later next week as to whether he'll go or not.

An MRI taken Friday confirmed that Ben Roethlisberger sustained a high-ankle sprain in the Steelers' 14-3 win over the Browns.

The Steelers' quarterback is in a walking boot -- and in a considerable amount of pain -- after getting his left foot folded under his leg Thursday night.

Roethlisberger played the entire second half after suffering a ghastly looking injury, and that was telling to Dr. James Gladstone.

"It either means it's not that severe a sprain, or he's just a remarkably tough guy," said Gladstone, the co-chief of sports medicine at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York.

The latter is not in question, not after Roethlisberger completed 8 of 12 passes for 178 yards and a touchdown in the second half and then was barely able to walk after the game.

Roethlisberger received one of the biggest scares of his career after getting sacked by Browns defensive tackle Scott Paxson. The resulting injury raises serious questions about whether the two-time Super Bowl winner will be able to play Dec. 19 when the Steelers visit the San Francisco 49ers.

Low-ankle sprains are more manageable than high-ankle sprains, Gladstone said, because the injured ankle can be taped and generally prevented from rolling. High-ankle sprains, Gladstone, are actually more like lower leg injures.

Center Maurkice Pouncey didn't play in the Super Bowl last season after sustaining a high-ankle sprain two weeks earlier in the AFC Championship Game.

Like Roethlisberger, Pouncey suffered a high-ankle sprain last Thursday night, putting his availability for the Steelers' next game in question.

The Steelers get extra time to rest; they have 11 days off before their next game. High-ankle sprains, however, can take months to fully heal, Gladstone said.
    Roethlisberger surprised his teammates -- and even himself to a degree -- by making it through the entire second half against the Browns.

"I really couldn't drop back to pass and really couldn't step into my throws," said Roethlisberger, who nevertheless finished with his highest passer rating (129.6) of the season. "The plan on my part was basically to give it one or two more plays and see how I could do it. It wasn't for any other reason than to be out there for my guys."
    There were plenty of testimonials to Roethlisberger's toughness in the Steelers locker room after the team had held off the Browns.

"I told him I'm happy to be his teammate," said wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery, who caught an 11-yard touchdown pass from Roethlisberger before the latter got hurt. "He's a warrior in every sense. He's going to go out there and lay it on the line for his teammates."

Rookie Free Agent Steelers/PSU Fan's Avatar
    I think it's simple, if Chargers beat Ravens, play everybody we can against the 49ers to win. If Ravens win, then just rest people against 49ers since it won't matter if we win or not.

My Mood
    Manic
    I think the Ravens lose this week Orlovsky is much better than painter if they can contain rice and get some pressure 0n flako it's possible they lost to seattle and jax

My Mood
    Addicted
    i say sit ben for this one. i'd rather have him closer to 100% for the playoffs. we can win 3 straight on the road, i have not doubt about that. but if he were to injure himself worse, or end his season, we would be finished.

besides, if you give batch and dixon all the reps for the next week, we could still beat SF. they are good, but our defense can shut them down and keep it close and we could steal one on the coast.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

My Mood
    Addicted
    Not only should he play, I'm fairly certain that he won't allow himself to sit. He knows the importance of every game until the end of the season. Ravens could lose any week.

Read this again:

"I really couldn't drop back to pass and really couldn't step into my throws," said Roethlisberger, who nevertheless finished with his highest passer rating (129.6) of the season. "The plan on my part was basically to give it one or two more plays and see how I could do it.

Short quick plays, quick drop, no running around, no sacks. Slants, Cut Back routes, Cross Routes and pound the rock. Arians... Can you see the Game Plan being designed for you.
    Probably not... This proves our OC is a moron... Ben plays better with one leg, arians has to conform to it.

If he can play without further damaging it yes he should play.With Charlie we have very little chance to win, if we had a half decent back up than I'd say sit and heal.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Plan B(atch) wasn't an option the other night. Maybe Dixon should dress next week and get some reps all week..

Rookie Free Agent
    Most high ankle sprains are initially treated with a walking boot or even a cast. The decision to use either a walking boot or cast depends on the severity of the injury and the preference of the treating physician. Both devices will restrict motion of the ankle as well as motion between the tibia and fibula, allowing the injured ligaments to heal. Again, it is important that injured individuals be informed that these injures take roughly twice as long to heal as lateral ankle sprains. In one large study, the average recovery time for these injuries was more than 40 days. As such, physical therapy may not be initiated for several weeks.

Let's see if Ben continuing to play on his injured ankle has cost his abilility to play against the 49ers. Or lets see if he jeapordizes his football and lifetime future by continuing to play on it agains San Fran. Either way one well placed good legal hit by a defense that can sack him will do it.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens1 View Post
    Most high ankle sprains are initially treated with a walking boot or even a cast. The decision to use either a walking boot or cast depends on the severity of the injury and the preference of the treating physician. Both devices will restrict motion of the ankle as well as motion between the tibia and fibula, allowing the injured ligaments to heal. Again, it is important that injured individuals be informed that these injures take roughly twice as long to heal as lateral ankle sprains. In one large study, the average recovery time for these injuries was more than 40 days. As such, physical therapy may not be initiated for several weeks.

Let's see if Ben continuing to play on his injured ankle has cost his abilility to play against the 49ers. Or lets see if he jeapordizes his football and lifetime future by continuing to play on it agains San Fran. Either way one well placed good legal hit by a defense that can sack him will do it.
    I don't blame you for being worried about the Ravens facing Ben and the Steelers again....I know you're praying he gets hurt for the season.......

Thread Information