Thread: Key matchups for Steelers vs Browns

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Key matchups for Steelers vs Browns

If you look past the Browns awful record, they have some playmakers on this team in the secondary on defense. On offense it's all about stopping Josh Cribbs and getting pressure on Colt McCoy. You do those things and you win this game.

Steelers Offense - Wallace, Sanders, & Brown won't have a real easy game necessarily. The Browns have the #1 pass defense in the league overall allowing 173.3 ypg through the air and 6.6 yards per pass play. They also rank near the top in opponents completion percentage, allowing 55% of the pass plays to be completed. This is by far the strength of their entire team, let alone just their defense. Ben is going to have to be careful to not try and thread too many passes into double coverage. He's also going to have to make sure that if throws one up that only his guy is going to be able to catch it.

Ben should be able to have time to throw and if that is the case, then his propensity to hang onto the ball could allow his WR's time to get open by having the play extended. That will play to our benefit but it's not necessarily going to be a big night passing wise for Ben overall.

On the flip side, they are ranked 31st in the league in rush defense allowing 151 ypg on the ground and 4.4 ypc average. That plays right into an offensive line kind of day and a big day for Mendenhall and Redman. Plus the Steelers will have Ramon Foster back in the lineup.

Steelers defense: The Browns offense is ranked 24th in the league in passing, at 197 ypg. Rushing, they are ranked 30th in the league, gaining about 93 ypg on the ground.

The Steelers front 7, even without Lamarr Woodley should be able to get after Colt McCoy and get pressure on him. James Harrison will have his hands full with Joe Thomas but I expect Deebo will still win many of those battles. This will be a game where Jason Worilds will be expected to put on a good performance; with Woodley extremely doubtful as of Thursday.

The rush defense should have no problems stopping the Browns ground game, and as long as they do that it will put the onus completely on McCoy to carry this team through the air, or try too. The Steelers secondary is playing well enough right now that they should smother every Browns receiver without much of a problem.

Let's not forget the Special Teams who have been top flight this season in both coverage and returns. Antonio Brown is a budding star in the return game and returned a punt 60 yds for a TD in the Bengals game. Cam Heyward also blocked the Browns FG attempt on their opening drive. Splash plays like that will completely deflate an opposition and energize the Steelers.

Having said all that, the Steelers just need to come to play and take care of business. If they do that they will win. If they let the Browns hang around or start out slow and with no enthusiasm, it will give McCoy and his group a lot of confidence and sometimes that can come back to bite you.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 12-08-2011 at 12:12 AM.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    A humorous quote from Gerry Dulac:

The Browns can't run, can't throw and can't stop the run. And they've lost 14 of their past 15 and 20 of the past 22 against the Steelers. Other than that, they're pretty good.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

With Manny Sanders out, that means you'll see more of Hines Ward. I suspect we'll see Hines probably get atleast 3 or 4 passes thrown his way. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Browns double cover Ward like the Bengals did.

I would hope they'd focus more the bigger threats in Wallace, Brown, & Heath Miller but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post

With Manny Sanders out, that means you'll see more of Hines Ward. I suspect we'll see Hines probably get atleast 3 or 4 passes thrown his way. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Browns double cover Ward like the Bengals did.

I would hope they'd focus more the bigger threats in Wallace, Brown, & Heath Miller but you never know.
    Good, let them double Hines. I don't think they will, but then again, this is the Browns.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Ben and Bruce Arians cannot sleep on the Browns secondary. If they come out and start throwing the ball down field all night, especially in this sub freezing temps that are supposed to be present, things could be dicey for awhile.

If Arians uses a similar gameplan from the Patriots game where you use the short pass and run game and mix in a few deep balls here and there, the Steelers should be fine.

As long as the Steelers don't turn the ball over and don't allow Josh Cribbs to take over, the Browns have no chance of winning this game. Steelers also need to be patient in the running game. Might not be much room to run early on as the Browns anticipate the Steelers emphasizing the run, but as the game goes on, those running lanes should open up, provided the Steelers have the lead in this game. I would also expect a lot of man coverage from the Browns tonight.

They're gonna be bringing us much heat as they can, Ben will need to make some plays.

I personally think we need to keep Hillis in check and constant pressure on McCoy!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    They're gonna be bringing us much heat as they can, Ben will need to make some plays.

I personally think we need to keep Hillis in check and constant pressure on McCoy!
    What is the best way to counter defensive heat? Quick hitters to hot receivers and TE's.

If the Steelers even let the Browns hang around until halftime, shame on them. I would hope Ben is out by the 4th quarter again, and this game is well in hand as it should be as long as the Steelers come to play.

I can only imagine how many times Tomlin will reference the Diarreah game the Steelers played in Cleveland a couple years ago.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Nothing to worry about in this game....Steelers will win in a blow out....

Thread Information