Thread: Interesting Game Playtime Fact

Bookmark and Share
    2nd String

Interesting Game Playtime Fact

I know there is much to-do and kerfuffle (well founded I might add) about the insane amount of commercials during a football game. I read this fact on Mind Floss:

There is an average of 12 minutes of actual playtime during an NFL game.

Now, I can't validate that fact (I would think it is true, as Mind Floss is not produced in somebody's parent's basement), but if it is true, then some thoughts come to mind. . .

1. Most of the NFL is fanfare, flashy graphics, advertising, talk, stats, and production.
    2. The players make a hell of a lot of money for so little play.
    3. We pay a lot of money to watch said players for such little time.
    4. We act stupid and say and do ridiculous things in response to 12 minutes of football.
    5. We spend much time outside of actually watching games in support of 12 minutes of football. In fact, it takes over many of our lives.
    6. An team only has a small window of time to score, and this emphasizes the importance of clock management and ball control.
    7. If the NFL goes to an 18 game season, they add 24 minutes of play per-team.
    8. I am in the wrong profession.

I am not complaining, I just thought that was a fascinating fact. So, any other thoughts? I know I am gearing up for watching my 12 minutes of play!

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Well those 12 minutes are from the snap of the ball to the whistle. There now it seems much longer.

Sometimes it seems like Ben holds the ball for 12 minutes.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Hate watching the Steelers on Sunday night football - WAY TOO MANY COMMERCIALS. On any other Sunday game, commercials are when I reload or hit the sandbox.

My Mood
    Clowns
    The commercials are ridiculous during an NFL game, but that's the perks of the Networks paying hundreds of millions of dollars to air these games every week. The amount of money they make for a 30 second commercial in a big game is enough for me to live on for the rest of my life.

I hate the commercials too though, I'd rather have camera's on the sidelines with the coaches and players during a timeout or have one near the huddle at change of possession and try to see what's going on. 12 minutes doesn't sound that far off quite honestly when you figure the average play only takes a 5-7 seconds or so.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    Hate watching the Steelers on Sunday night football - WAY TOO MANY COMMERCIALS. On any other Sunday game, commercials are when I reload or hit the sandbox.

It's better than watching NFL Network and those blasted "Top 5 plays from Sunday Afternoon" commercials that they show at every, single, friggin, commercial break!

Thread Information