Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Hoke neck surgery will end his season; possibly career threatening

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Chris Hoke neck surgery will end his season; possibly career threatening

Longtime Steelers defensive lineman Chris Hoke will have neck surgery, ending his season and perhaps his NFL career, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned. Hoke, in his second consecutive start for injured Casey Hampton at nose tackle, left the Oct. 16 game against Jacksonville with what was described as a "stinger" in his neck. He has not played since.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Monday that Hoke was being re-examined by a doctor that day. Hoke has since been replaced as the backup nose tackle by Steve McLendon.

Hoke, 35, made the Steelers as an undrafted rookie from Brigham Young in 2001 and, after going on and off the practice squad, earned a permanent roster spot in 2002.
    He had his most extensive play during the 2004 season after Hampton was placed on injured reserve with a knee injury. Hoke started 12 games that season, including two in the post-season. He has started 18 games and played in 114 with the Steelers, his only NFL team.
    This is more than just a stinger; and probably will add fuel to the fire of the Steelers lack of injury information they provide. In any effect this is really sad news for Hokie; hopefully he's able to recover and atleast not have it be affecting his normal day to day life.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Sad news. I liked Hoke.

Sucks, he's a good dude... My bro had a chance to hang out w/ him he's a very good guy! Best of wishes!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Hope it works out for him.. Manning has the same issues but three surgerys already, he wont be back...

Al Woods will be next in line now?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Chris is such a great guy. When you meet him at training camp he's also pleasant to the fans. When you watch him work out on the field he's motivated, dancing around after a big play, & working hard. He may not be a spring chicken but was still able to get it done even this year when he played.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    A class guy, it's a shame he has go out like this . Get well soon.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The reality of a season-ending neck injury sustained by Chris Hoke may have hit one of his proteges harder than it did the veteran nose tackle.

"I was sitting in the meeting room and I looked back probably 10 times because I always have him in my ear, telling me how to play, what to do. It was kind of weird that he wasn't there today," Steelers defensive tackle Steve McLendon said. "He keeps telling me to keep my head up. I feel worse about it than he does."

Hoke sustained a stinger in the Steelers' Oct. 16 game against Jacksonville, and the 10th-year veteran saw a doctor yesterday as he is still experiencing the effects from the injury.

Hoke played in six games this season — he started two of them in place of the injured Casey Hampton — and recorded three tackles and a quarterback pressure.
    Hoke, who turned 35 in April, is the second defensive linemen that the Steelers have lost for the season. Defensive end Aaron Smith went down with a neck injury in the Steelers' fourth game.

Both players are in the final year of their contracts, meaning their respective careers with the Steelers may be finished.

Like Smith, Hoke had been one of the elders on the Steelers' defensive line and in the locker room.

Hoke made the Steelers as an undrafted free agent in 2001, and he served as a valuable reserve to Hampton. The Steelers were 17-1 in regular-season games that Hoke started, and the gregarious tackle is one of the most popular — and respected — players on the team.

"You've got to follow a guy like that," Steelers defensive end Ziggy Hood said. "Seeing a guy like that makes you want to work harder because you can see what hard work gets you."

My Mood
    Addicted
    He will be missed, he was one of a few last old school cats who brought his lunch pail to work, he is a class act and will be missed,but i'm also excited to see what Woods can do.

He had a good run, and was a great success story. Plus we had a GREAT record when he started! You'll be missed Hoke!
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

My Mood
    Addicted
    Such a shame. Wish Hoke nothing but the best. He has always been a classy guy.

Thread Information