Thread: Spencer appears headed to Arizona

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Spencer appears headed to Arizona

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07019/755138-66.stm

Friday, January 19, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Kevin Spencer likely will become the first Steelers assistant coach to join the new staff of Ken Whisenhunt in Arizona after the Steelers gave the Cardinals permission to talk to their special teams coach.

At the same time, the Steelers denied Whisenhunt's request to talk to two other assistants, wide receivers coach Bruce Arians and linebackers coach Keith Butler.

Spencer, 53, has coached the Steelers special teams since 2002 and was selected as the NFL's special teams coach of the year in 2003 in a vote by his peers.

All of the Steelers' remaining assistant coaches are under contract through at least 2007 and are tied to them until they are released.

If Russ Grimm, the Steelers' offensive line coach and assistant head coach, becomes the next head coach he likely will keep many from the current staff. Even if one of the other two finalists for the job, defensive coordinators Mike Tomlin of the Vikings and Ron Rivera of the Bears, are hired, some of the assistants could stay.

Arians likely would become the next offensive coordinator under Grimm. He also could get that job if either of the two defensive coaches becomes the head coach.

Spencer coached 16 years in the NFL with the Browns, Raiders and Colts before the Steelers. It's possible Whisenhunt will hire him to coach a position in Arizona rather than special teams. Besides special teams, Spencer was an assistant linebackers coach for a year in Oakland and spent another year there as a defensive assistant.
    If Spencer wants to go, then let him go just as long as we don't hire another Jay Hayes to be our ST coach !

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    so that leaves us needing what? A OC, RB coach, ST coach, OL coach possibly WR coach If Arians moves to OC what else do we need?

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That sounds about right

HC to replace cowher
    ST to replace Spencer
    RB to replace Hoak
    WR to replace Ariens if he's promoted
    OC to replace Whiz

Something to take note of, all the coaches that we need as of now are all offense coaches except for the ST. It will be interesting to see how our offense changes this year with a bunch of fresh new faces; which hopefully means a renewed comittment to run assuming the offense doesnt turn the ball over every 5 minutes again.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Truthfully I'm kinda glad Cowher resigned(as much as I like the guy and everything he did for the Steelers) 15 years is long enough to coach 1 team. With a new coach(even if its Grimm, hes been chomping at the bit to put his strategies and philosophies to work) and some new coordinators in here, we'll get a fresher start on next season. New blood, new outlooks on players we got and can get in the draft. This change will do the Steelers good.....

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

no biggie about spencer, i read somewhere he had health issues last season.

Originally from Johnstown, PA...now trapped in Bungleland
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Truthfully I'm kinda glad Cowher resigned(as much as I like the guy and everything he did for the Steelers) 15 years is long enough to coach 1 team. With a new coach(even if its Grimm, hes been chomping at the bit to put his strategies and philosophies to work) and some new coordinators in here, we'll get a fresher start on next season. New blood, new outlooks on players we got and can get in the draft. This change will do the Steelers good.....
    Thanks for a refreshingly positive outlook here.

House of Steel
    You know Diesel has a great point and showing positive energy. I think this is long overdue for the Steelers, it is a dawn of a new era. I think changes could mean bigger and more rewarding things to come for the Steelers

Let him go!!!! That's the only coach I really wanted to see go anyways Why would Whiz want him... the Steelers ST was practically dead last all season doesn't really make sense unless they are good buddies or something.

i read he could coach a different position. maybe LB's for them.

My Mood
    Angry
    Whiz can have Spencer!!
    Special teams have been inconsistant the past few seasons so I don't his replacement could be any worse.

Thread Information