Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pass interference in 2nd quarter

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Pass interference in 2nd quarter

Penalties ravaged the Bengals all day. In all, they were called for 10 penalties for 109 yards. Conversely, the Steelers were called for four penalties and 29 yards.
    But it was a pass interference call on Bengals safety Chris Crocker in the second quarter that might have been the killer for Cincinnati.

With the Steelers up, 7-0, and the ball at their 35, Roethlisberger went deep down the middle to Wallace. Crocker was called for interference on the play, and the ball was placed at the Cincinnati 20.

The Steelers scored three plays later.

"We got a big pass interference penalty down the middle of the field on a ball that wasn't catchable," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said.

Crocker agreed: "I touched him, but I thought it was uncatchable. But what can you do? You have to keep playing."

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I have to admit, I didn't think that was a legitimate pass interference penalty either. However since the Steelers get called for so many phantom penalties on any given week, I'll take one that goes in our favor for once.

I thought it was border line, but felt he had a chance to catch it..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Chatty
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    I have to admit, I didn't think that was a legitimate pass interference penalty either. However since the Steelers get called for so many phantom penalties on any given week, I'll take one that goes in our favor for once.
    Totally agree here and it's not like that penality would have changed the outcome of the game as we owned them

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

Rookie Free Agent StillinBaltimore's Avatar
    Tunch and Bill watched the replay a couple of times and Tunch thought it was a bad call at first too. But after the replay he said that Crocker had Wallaces arm pinned down. And I agree with Blitz... if we get one of those our way... I'll take it! lol
    Not a life-long Stiller. But my kids and their kids will have their first Terrible Towel on the day they are born.

"Hey #16!!! I'm coming for you and he can't stop me!!!"- James Harrison- Before the play he strip sacked Matt Cassel

It may not had appeared to be a catchable ball... But it's Mike Wallace... The fastest receiver in the NFL. You can't touch a guy moving that fast without it being noticed...

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    So hard to say what is a 'catchable' ball anymore with players like Wallace in the League. Either way, these calls balance out over time and frankly, it could have easily been called defensive holding for pinning the arm down.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelDad View Post
    So hard to say what is a 'catchable' ball anymore with players like Wallace in the League. Either way, these calls balance out over time and frankly, it could have easily been called defensive holding for pinning the arm down.

That's a good point, and had it not been defensive holding atleast we'd have all been screaming for a non call. Either way most times the Steelers never get these types of calls so I'll take one now and then even if it's controversial.

Originally from Armstrong County, now, just south of Stainville
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    That's a good point, and had it not been defensive holding atleast we'd have all been screaming for a non call. Either way most times the Steelers never get these types of calls so I'll take one now and then even if it's controversial.
    Ditto

I'd like to see it again, I think he impeded Wallace from getting to the ball which is why it looked uncatchable.
    Who will be Todd Haley's first victim on national TV ...... and when?

That ball was definitely catchable. It was thrown too far left so when Mike turned inside to get it, Crocker was right in his mug, preventing him from making an attempt. There may not have been much contact, but I think it was mostly due to the defender cutting him off from the ball without looking back for it.

Thread Information