Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ward reaches one milestone, 10 catches away from 1,000 (Update, now 5 away)

Bookmark and Share
    Super Moderator Mean Linebacker's Avatar
    My Mood
    Blah
    Personally I think the Steelers owe it to Hines to get him this record. It shouldn't be hard to get him the ball. This is going to be his last year I think, let him ride off into the sunset with the last attainable record he can get and maybe he just might help you win a long the way too.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    For 14 years, Hines Ward has taken a beating, sacrificing his body by willingly running crossing routes patrolled by heavy-hitting safeties and head-hunting linebackers.

Every time, it seemed, he pulled himself up with that familiar, in-your-face smile still intact.

But age and experience has left his battle-weary body vulnerable. He limped off with an ankle injury earlier this season against Arizona and was KO'd by Baltimore's Ray Lewis on a helmet-to-helmet blow that left him concussed.

At 35, Ward has played through the headaches and pain. But the usually reliable and durable wide receiver has spent much of the past three games watching second-year receiver Antonio Brown transition effortlessly into the starting role.
    Ward insisted Thursday that he's fit and healthy as the Steelers prepare to play St. Louis on Saturday at Heinz Field.

But as he sits just nine catches from becoming the eighth receiver in NFL history with 1,000 career receptions, he also faces the possibility that this could be his last game as a Steeler at Heinz Field — if the team doesn't earn a home playoff game.
    "I would love to get it, but I'm not thinking about any records," he said. "If not, I'm not going to retire any time soon. I'll play until the wheels fall off.

"I feel like the move (less playing time) isn't any indication that I've fallen off or anything. When I was out there, I was open."

Ward, who had at least one reception in 186 consecutive games, was shut out in the Steelers' 20-3 loss to San Francisco. Three times this season, he has been held to one reception. He was on the field for just nine snaps against the 49ers.
    "I have no idea what's going on," Ward said. "You have to ask the coaching staff. For me, the coaches make the decisions. I just live by them. No one has said anything to me or explain the reasons why. It's not my job to question, and they aren't obligated or have to explain.

"It's a tough enough business, and it's hard to make personnel changes. So be it. It's not going to change the way I play."

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians wouldn't speculate on Ward's breaking the record or future with the team.

"No one's got a crystal ball, no one knows what the future brings,'' Arians said. "I don't even want to think about him not being around. We'd miss him way too much. When those times come, they'll come. But it's not this week."

It might be inconceivable to imagine for teammates and fans alike, but suddenly, there are far more questions than answers about Ward's future.

There's no doubt that Brown and Mike Wallace have become Roethlisberger's primary targets. Roethlisberger went their way a combined 22 times and threw six times to Jerricho Cotchery against San Francisco, but Ward got nary a look his way.
    Cotchery, though, also warns observers to ignore the numbers.

"As a player, you have to live with the coaches' decisions," said Cotchery, who had five catches against the 49ers. "I remember coming in here last year in the AFC Championship Game (as a Jets player) and seeing him catch a touchdown pass.
    "At the end of the day, everyone in this locker room knows what Hines is capable of come playoff time. When you're building something, you let young guys mature to make sure they're ready to go."

Nose tackle Casey Hampton isn't worried. He figures, with the playoffs around the corner, Ward will again be a focal point of an offense that has scored only 10 points in the past six quarters.

"I always say when it gets cold, you don't want any other receiver out there but Hines," Hampton said. "The other guys are great receivers, but when you think about Hines' history, you know what he can do."

Ward has spent much of this season mentoring the Steelers' young receivers. Now, he's ready to show them a few postseason tricks.

"He's definitely been a great mentor, definitely taught me, Antonio and Mike a lot of things," wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders said. "Just teaching me how to take care of my body, how to be a great route runner and, in general, how to be a good pro. I look up to the guy.

"If Hines does decide to retire, I'm happy for him. I hope that he gets the 1,000-catch mark, and I hope that we can send him out of here Super Bowl champs. That would be beautiful if he decides to retire."

Retire?

For Ward, it's out of the question. Instead, he's looking toward the playoffs and a chance to prove he's still got it.

"It's a new ballgame in the playoffs," said Ward, whose five 100-yard playoff receiving games is fifth best all-time. "It's what I try to tell the young guys: Everybody turns it up a notch in the playoffs.

"I want to be that guy Ben can rely on come playoff time."

Things may change after the season is over, but for now he wants to keep playing. Would we expect anything less from him?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    4 catches today for Hines in the Rams game. He now needs 5 more to reach 1K for his career. The Ward Watch is in full effect for next weekend!

I'm honestly a bit surprised they didn't actually try and get him the ball a few more times late in the game. When you have a nice lead and your defense is putting up a shutout, that's the time to try this kind of stuff.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    He will get it.........no doubt in my mind BA will force feed the ball to Hines next week.....

My Mood
    Sunshine
    It's a shame being up 20-0 in the fourth quarter they didn't even make an attempt to getWard the record.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I wouldn't be surprised if the opening play goes right to Hines on a bubble screen or some quick pass in the flat. In fact I think I'd be almost surprised if they don't do that..LOL

Force feed Ward the ball next week...fine by me.
    "HAIL TO PITT"

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    He will get it.........no doubt in my mind BA will force feed the ball to Hines next week.....
    I'm really beginning to think so as well. It used to be nothing for Hines to get 6-8 catches or more in a game. He's still able to make those tough catches but you just won't find him running away from anyone after he does.

Get him the ball...it's very simple to have him get 5 catches. 4 quick easy ones screens, shuttle, slant whatever it takes. When we get in the Red Zone make number 5 a TD pass. There's a very good chance Hines won't be a Steeler next year. He deserves this milestone and there's no excuse for him not to get it this week.

When he does I'll predict he gets a nice ovation from the fans in Cleveland.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

i hope he gets shutout. his personal milestone means nothing to me.

at least its most likely a meaningless game if we have to force him to ball for no real reason

Thread Information