Thread: Steelers offensive line firing off the ball

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers offensive line firing off the ball

In the first half especially you saw a Steelers offensive line that was firing off the ball in the run game probably as good as they have been all year. The pulling was quick and decisive and they sealed the edges pretty well overall. You saw this especially on the 2nd Mendenhall TD run where he took it outside to his right and then cut back to find the hole for the TD.

They did a allow a couple sacks in the first half, which you can credit the Bengals front 7 as much as blame the Steelers. Cincy's pass rush as good as just about anybody in the league, a tough group for any offensive line to handle.

This group, if they can stay healthy, might be onto something. I know some people aren't sold on Legursky as a starter but if he plays at LG he's not that bad. He seems to be more at home there, than on the right side where he was terrible earlier in the year. Ideally he may not be the long term answer but with Kemoeatu out because of poor performance and a nagging knee injury, Legs is your best option.

Starks
    Legursky
    Pouncey
    Foster
    Gilbert

This is your 2011 best offensive line for the Steelers.

Foster injured his ankle though so you have to hope it's not serious but from what we saw he got it rolled up on pretty good.

By the time the 4th quarter hit the game was well in hand and the Steelers went into cruise control. You can't help but like the way this group is playing. Now the question is, can they keep it up? We shall see...

they looked like a completely different group than earlier in the season

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    According to Tomlin, Fosters status will be evaluated this week. His status for the Cleveland game is uncertain as of now. He was helped off the field after getting his ankle rolled up on so hopefully it's not a dreaded high ankle sprain.

This unit has found themselves a solid starting 5, we don't need another injury right now.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I have said before that I think Legursky is better fit at LG then RG....Its weird but its true and I thought Doug was solid overall today....thought he did a solid job of pulling....Just keep Kemo's dumbass on the sideline.....lol

My Mood
    Clowns
    I'm just glad we've finally found a group that actually can grow and gel together. If there is a time for them to get unified and play well, it's now in the stretch run starting here in December.

They did pretty well, but we need some new guards. I'm just not sold on the current constellation. I'm actually pretty alright with keeping Starks, Gilbert and Pouncey. Sure, we need a new LT at some point but it is also not very wise to throw away half of the o-line every season. Keep our tackles and center to build around and we'll have a pretty great o-line within a couple of years in my opinion.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Rookie Free Agent StillinBaltimore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CowherPower View Post
    I'm just glad we've finally found a group that actually can grow and gel together. If there is a time for them to get unified and play well, it's now in the stretch run starting here in December.
    Thats a good point. Any line, no matter how bad, can become a solid unit if they just get the time to work together and get a feel for one another's game.
    Not a life-long Stiller. But my kids and their kids will have their first Terrible Towel on the day they are born.

"Hey #16!!! I'm coming for you and he can't stop me!!!"- James Harrison- Before the play he strip sacked Matt Cassel

My Mood
    patriots-hater
    Foster will most likely be held out vs. Browns, especially since it's a short week. No worry; we only need to score 13-17 pts. to beat offensively-challenged Brownies. If we can't do that we don't deserve to win. Weather should not be much of a factor. Steelers 27-16.
    Last edited by steelspikes; 12-05-2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: score
    STEELSPIKES

I hate to say it but I think Legursky was the difference. I saw some highlights of him today and unlike Kemo when he pulls he won't crush the first guy and stop he moved on to the next person clearing the way for the running back. He also changes were he pulls if the defense changes their pursuit which i've never seen kemo do if he's supposed to pull outside he would just pull and stand there. Good job run blocking Legursky
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

Thread Information