Thread: Sanders injury status; Polamalu & Woodley expected to play

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Clowns

Sanders injury status; Polamalu & Woodley expected to play

Some updated injury news for this weekend.

Strong safety Troy Polamalu (head) and outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley (hamstring) were full participants in practice Thursday, and each are expected to play Sunday against Cincinnati.

Polamalu, who left last Sunday's game with concussion-like symptoms, did not practice Wednesday. Woodley practiced for a second-straight day.

Steelers wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot) may have had a setback as he didn't practice Thursday after taking part in drills Wednesday. Sanders had surgery on both feet during the offseason.

Wide receiver Arnaz Battle (hamstring) also didn't practice yesterday.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (thumb) was limited after hitting his right hand during practice.

"A little sting," Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "Nothing major."

>> Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey said the stomach virus that caused him to lose 12 pounds won't prevent him from playing Sunday.Pouncey was at the Steelers' practice facility Thursday for the first time this week. He said he took part in some individual drills and that he gained back two pounds through a steady intake of fluids, bread and yogurt. Pouncey was so sick last Sunday in Kansas City that he slept in the locker room right up until the start of the game. He played a little more than a quarter before stomach cramps became too much for him.

"That's probably the toughest young kid that I ever coached," Arians said. "His energy level that he brings to the team you can't measure. He had a little pep in his step (Thursday) for the first time since the ballgame. I think he'll be fine."

From the Pittsburgh Tribune Review

Cotchery was behind their coverage all last game, feed it to 89!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Hate to say it, but I'm starting to get the feeling that Sanders may have injury issues throughout his career. Certainly hope I'm wrong.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

These injuries are really racking up for Sanders. Hopefully he can get past them soon, because when he is healthy, he can be very dangerous.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelDad View Post
    Hate to say it, but I'm starting to get the feeling that Sanders may have injury issues throughout his career. Certainly hope I'm wrong.
    What are you trying to do, jinx us??? lol

I had a bad feeling this foot injury was going to creep up again at some point this season. When you have surgery on both feet and you make a living running and doing a lot of cuts and quick moves sooner or later you're going to aggravate it unless it's fully, 100% healed.

So many times with these NFL players they get hurt and come back quicker than most people would and it ends up resurfacing until they get to the offseason to really rest.

If not for the ^%$#&^! lockout, this would be a non-issue. Sanders had to wait until a CBA was in place before he could get the necessary surgery and treament for his feet.

Hopefully he'll tough it out. In the meantime, there are Cotch, Hines, Heath, and Saunders. Just read that With Hall already out, CB Clements is 50/50 with a hammy.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Strong safety Troy Polamalu and linebacker LaMarr Woodley are game-time decisions when the Steelers face the Cincinnati Bengals in a key AFC North game on Sunday at Heinz Field.

Polamalu (head) and Woodley (hamstring) practiced Friday. They are listed as probable, along with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, center Maurkice Pouncey (illness), wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot) and linebacker Stevenson Sylvester (calf).

Polamalu declined to say whether or not he's still experiencing concussion-like symptoms. He and Woodley said they are cautiously optimistic they will play, but Polamalu said the final decision will be made by coach Mike Tomlin
    "There is no way I'm going to play if there was any hesitation (from team doctors) or if there are any symptoms of a concussion," Polamalu said. "There is probably no more serious injury anyone can have than a concussion.

"You can function well with arms, legs and shoulder injuries. However, there is a lot of attention brought to (concussions) than in the past."

Polamalu left this past Sunday's game with a head injury after a violent collision with 6-foot-8, 290-pound offensive tackle Steve Maneri with 11:19 left in the first quarter of the Steelers' 13-9 victory at Arrowhead Stadium.

He returned to practice Thursday and insisted he will not alter his style of play despite suffering his second head injury in six games -- including experiencing concussion-like symptoms Oct. 16 when he tackled Jacksonville's Maurice Jones-Drew.
    Polamalu acknowledged that his style of play -- sometimes launching his 5-10, 207-pound frame like a torpedo -- is risky.

"I don't think it's possible to change a style of play," Polamalu said. "Of course, we're professional athletes, but it's so tough to change. I think that's the case for anybody in the NFL, especially regarding the fines and rules we have in the NFL."
    Polamalu has been fined twice this season, however neither involved helmet-to-helmet contact: He was fined for a late hit in the season opener at Baltimore and for using a cell phone after his head injury against Jacksonville.

Polamalu admitted there are some fears of another head blow.
    "Either you let down your team or not," Polamalu said. "I can't be a coward or succumb to my own fears. As an individual, I don't want to get injured, but I don't want to give them a first down. That's the kind of mental battle we face as athletes.
    "It's a fear that anyone in these conditions face. Overcoming certain fears of being a coward or letting your team down by turning down a hit -- that's the beautiful thing about this sport is that these fears are right in your face.

"I have fears," he added. "No question about it."

Polamalu also said that his battle with head injuries this season again has focused attention on the severity of concussions and other head trauma.
    "I realize the amount (of head injuries) I've had that I'll be under a lot of scrutiny," he said. "I'm aware we are under a lot more scrutiny than other organizations."
    When asked if he had any concussion-like symptoms yesterday, Polamalu quipped, "If you were a qualified doctor I would answer that."

Woodley, however, said pointedly that he's far more concerned with Polamalu's head injury than his sore hamstring.

"You're dealing with the brain and head, and if you're not ready to go, and get another (concussion), that outcome can really be life-threatening," Woodley said. "Troy's situation is totally different than my hamstring."

Also listed on the injury report are wide receiver Arnaz Battle (hamstring) and linebacker Chris Carter (hamstring),who will not play. Linebacker Larry Foote was limited in practice and is questionable.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    If not for the ^%$#&^! lockout, this would be a non-issue. Sanders had to wait until a CBA was in place before he could get the necessary surgery and treament for his feet.
    Why couldn't he have gone to his own doctors for surgery if he needed it? The lack fo a CBA just said that he couldn't use team doctors, but it didn't prevent him from getting the care he needed.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The lack of a CBA meant no health insurance so players would have had to pay for their surgeries out of pocket. If you recall, just before the CBA expired after the 2010 season was over there was a rush of players all over the league to get surgeries in while the cost was still covered by their health insurance.

I agree the CBA has had a big impact on player injuries this year overall. Players haven't been in team conditioning programs and workouts and then they all rushed to camp, rushed through preseason, and then started the regular season.

Thread Information