Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Mike Wallace reading too many headlines of himself?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Is Mike Wallace reading too many headlines of himself?

Steeldad and I were talking about this alittle bit on the podcast this week. Wallace hasn't had a 100 yd receiving game in quite awhile now, although still not lacking in confidence. Nobody in their right mind doubts his ability, the dude is spectacular when he gets his hands on the ball. In recent weeks though teams are really rolling coverage his way and he's seeing more double teams than ever before. This opens things up for Antonio Brown and others, but Wallace is due to have another breakout game.

Listening to him, he's quite confident in himself which is fine. However if he is wanting to be a top NFL receiver you have to learn to overcome double coverage and other factors that come into play when you're that good. He can certainly do it but perhaps just a tad of humility might not be such a bad idea either?

Wallace's last 100+ yd game was against Arizona on 10/23.

Since then his stats show:

7 catches for 70 yds
    4 catches 68 yds
    6 catches 54 yds
    2 catches for 17 yds

Not the worst numbers in the world but certainly off his pace from the beginning of the year when he had 3 straight 100 yd. plus games.

If I am Bengals coach Marvin Lewis I am most worried about Mike Wallace –- and what he will do Sunday at Heinz Field.

The third-year wide receiver is due to go off after a lean four-game stretch during which he has caught just one touchdown pass and hasn’t been much of a deep threat.
    Wallace will be particularly motivated when the Steelers play the Bengals for the second time within a month after what happened last Sunday night in Kansas City.
    Wallace dropped a pair of passes, including one that would have given the Steelers an early touchdown.

“I don’t drop the ball, that’s not what I do, that’s not me,” Wallace said Wednesday, before the Steelers’ first practice of the week. “I don’t think it has anything to do with Ben. I think it’s just me. I’ll get it together.”

Wallace, whose 17 receiving yards against the Chiefs were his fewest in a game since his rookie season, said he “just got a little overexcited for (the) game.”
    Wallace appeared to be a little too wound up before the game had even started.
    He and Chiefs safety Sabby Piscitelli exchanged words during pre-game warm-ups, and the two had to be separated.

Wallace then played one of the worst games of his career as he also dropped a deep pass that hit him right in the hands.

The drops disappointed Wallace, but they don’t appear to have shaken his confidence.
    And confidence, like speed, is something that Wallace has in abundance.
    “I’ll be fine,” he said. “This week I’ve got something for y’all.”
    Scott Brown - Trib

My Mood
    Smokin
    I have noticed that myself...he has been quiet...Brown is stealing his spotlight...I am sure trying to get hines to another milestone is not helping either..

there is no doubt Wallace is fast and will get those numbers back up

Thanks for the sig Flea

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    We could be barking up the wrong tree on this but I think it has merit. I don't know who said what to who prior to the game Sunday night, but based on what I'm hearing it was Wallace that initiated it. Be confident, be cocky, but don't be stupid. Absolutely no need to kick the wounded dog.

I agree with Brown from the Trib. With a weak Bengals secondary, I can see him going off as long as Arians can figure out how to get him the ball more often.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Manic
    It's quite simple keep your mouth shut keep your job .If he starts fights and drops easy td's Cotchery will be taking Wallaces spot

hes just not a surprise anymore, they key in on him hard....it will only be so many "down" games with brown and cotchery taking advantage before teams realize thats not quite how it works

Look for Mike to have a huge game this week...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    The issue is they arent using him right! Corners are playing 20 yards off him anticipating the deep route. We were throwing him quick slants and wr screens, then we quit????? Thanks alot Bruce Arians! It worked why keep doing it?

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Rookie Free Agent
    the problem is not wallace its the OC we have in Bruce Arians if something works we stop using it on offence if it doesn't work we keep using it, wallace will have his "down" games everyone does but he will have more beasty games then not

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The way Bruce loves to go down field I expect Ben to attack early and often and try and get up on the Bengals early and take the running game out of the mix.

Honestly we could be way off on this being alittle too cocky but that's just the sense I get. Sooner or later if the Steelers keep winning teams will realize that you can't just double Wallace and expect to win the game.

My Mood
    Mellow
    wallace will be fine. he has a couple of drops over the past couple of weeks but he's made more catches, even the difficult ones, than not. hines has dropped a lot of balls too. heath as well. it happens...call it lack of focus, or trying too hard, or putting too much pressure on ones self. but this is nothing to be concerned about...right now.

i'd love to see BA get 17 involved in a short or intermediate routes than just saying "go long". of course i don't expect much out of BA so.....
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

Thread Information