Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers criticized for lack of injury information

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers criticized for lack of injury information

Did he or did he not?

Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that safety Troy Polamalu has been symptom free since Sunday night after the Steelers announced he had "concussion-like symptoms" from a tackle he made against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Tomlin added that Polamalu still will have to pass a "battery of tests" in order to play Sunday against Cincinnati and that "we are comfortable at this juncture that it will happen."

But, was it a concussion or not? Tomlin did not say, just as he and the Steelers did not say the previous time Polamalu was pulled from a game, Oct. 16, when he had "concussion-like symptoms" after a collision with Jacksonville's Maurice Jones-Drew.
    Polamalu has a long history of concussions, beginning with two in high school. He had three while playing at Southern California, and he has had two previously with the Steelers -- in 2006 and '08. That's seven documented concussions.

The two head shots to Polamalu this season either caused a concussion or they did not, yet the Steelers have not said one way or the other and are being roundly criticized for how they have explained the injuries.

NBC's Al Michaels, while broadcasting Sunday night's game, compared the Steelers to "old East Germany" for their lack of injury information. Mike Florio, who writes the widely read blog Pro Football Talk, wrote that "after the game, coach Mike Tomlin wouldn't admit that Polamalu suffered a concussion. Instead, Tomlin once again broke out a term that he has used at least twice before this season: 'concussion-like symptoms.' "
    That other instance occurred when Hines Ward was pulled from the Nov. 6 game against Baltimore after taking a blow to the head.

But while the Steelers, in essence, say it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, they have not called it a duck. The NFL has tightened rules on how teams must deal with concussions and there have been suggestions that by not calling it a concussion, the Steelers are trying to hide something.

Yet, in all three cases, the Steelers did the right thing. They removed the player from the game and did not permit him to return, despite lobbying efforts by Ward and Polamalu. If a player is suspected of having a concussion, he cannot return to the game and must pass the ImPACT tests to play again. And just because a player takes a blow to the head does not mean he has a concussion. Polamalu could have been examined and been determined not to have any symptoms and been allowed to return to the game without breaking the rules.

"He was asymptomatic relatively quickly, and I am talking about Sunday night," Tomlin said of Polamalu's most recent head injury, in which he struck the knee of Kansas City tackle Steve Maneri. "If we are going to err, we are going to err on the side of caution when it comes to health, particularly from a head injury standpoint. I have no issue with that.

"We lean on the expert advice of our medical staff. Troy has been good. We anticipate it being a nonissue moving forward this week. Like I said earlier, we are not going to assume anything with a player's health, particularly when we are talking about a head injury."

Tomlin said the Steelers are aware of Polamalu's history of concussions and will proceed accordingly.

"Obviously, we are sensitive to his concussion history, and we are always going to exercise the necessary precaution when dealing with it."
    At least this time, TV cameras did not catch Polamalu using a cell phone on the sideline to call his wife to let her know he was OK, so there will be no repeat of that $10,000 fine the NFL levied for doing so Oct. 16.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    This is nothing more than gamesmanship which is as old as the game itself. Much like William Gay being "hurt" the other night (cough-cough). Hockey is the same way. A guy could have his leg sliced off by a skate and it's called "A lower body injury." The NFL has created this problem with less than transparent statements of injury, especially head injuries. If Tomlin comes out and says, "He had a concussion," then that changes the game completely based on league head injury rules.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Let's face it, this is a business. You can error on the side of caution all you want and take all the precautions that you feel are necessary to ensure the safety of your players. However with the way the league treats head injuries regardless of the severity, if you're a team you'd rather take care of it in house then have the league oversee it and have to sign off on the player before they can return.

I don't doubt that Tomlin, Dr. Bradley, and the rest of the Steelers staff will make sure Troy is ok before letting him back in. He could have brought him back in for the 2nd half if he wanted too but he chose to sit him out to make sure.

These players want back in the game no matter, they don't want to let their teammates down. Anytime you can keep something "in house" it's always a much more controlled situation. If Tomlin said, yeah it's a concussion, then even if Troy were feeling all better he'd more than likely have to sit out atleast 1 game regardless. Beating around the bush with injuries is just something that's been done since football started. The less you reveal to the world, the better.

Rookie Free Agent StillinBaltimore's Avatar
    Is Tom Brady still listed on the injury report?

My Mood
    Chatty
    Florio is no better than a gossip columnist.....as one of my buddies says...he's a HACK writer...not a sports writer

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

Rookie Free Agent StillinBaltimore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaSteelGirl View Post
    Florio is no better than a gossip columnist.....as one of my buddies says...he's a HACK writer...not a sports writer
    Florio is a knuckle head. He said a couple weeks ago, when Coach T said he didn't agree with clarks fine, that Coach T was one of the problem coaches who stokes the fires on the issue. Lmao! That was the first time he ever made any mention of his displeasure with a fine.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I never liked Florio either, he's always been a Steeler hater. Them being part of NBC football always makes me turn the channel when they come on.

If he's going to call out Tomlin then you better call out everybody else in the league.

My Mood
    Manic
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...like-symptoms/ this is the actual article it makes sense to me why the Steelers use this verbage
    Last edited by connecticutsteel; 11-30-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Veteran
    My Mood
    Angry
    pouncey had an illness instead of having of the shits! lol
    Cleveland Browns suck!

If they are going to say" concussion like" and treat it properly then it should be no big deal. If they show no compassion and throw him back out there then there is a story. It seems to me that is all this guy is fishing for. He just trying to make a story happen...

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Thread Information