Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

No rest for the weary the rest of the way out this season

Sunday December 4, 1:00pm - Bengals
    Thursday December 8, 8:20pm - Browns
    Monday December 19, 8:30pm - 49ers
    Saturday December 24, 1:00pm - Rams

Just looking at that schedule you wouldn't think it's anything to be to terribly concerned about other than the 49ers game. The real issue here lies in the travel schedule and the lack of rest and prepartion coming up over the next 4 games...or does it?

The Bengals game at home won't be an issue from a preparation standpoint having just played on Sunday, even the late game in KC. The Browns are at home against the Ravens this Sunday which should leave them pretty beat up whether they win or not. The Steelers having a short week at least get to stay at home. Plus they know the Browns as well as anybody so from a preparation standpoint the main thing is to just get as much rest as you can and hope there are no significant injuries the game before.

There's a nice break before traveling out to San Francisco which really, really comes in handy after playing 2 games in less than a week. Those extra few days will help rest the bumps and bruises and allow them figure out the best way to attack the other Harbaugh.

Then after that Monday night game they fly home to play the Rams at Heinz Field on Saturday, Christmas eve. Beating the Rams should be no problem, in theory. St. Louis plays at home against the Bengals, who could be fighting for their playoff lives at that point so expect that to be a physical matchup.

All in all considering how many games the Steelers play over the next few weeks the traveling & schedule gods were pretty fair to them, atleast as much one can hope.

Having said all that I still don't like Thursday night games. There's so many injuries that happen and players can't recover from the week before. The NFL loves it because it pads their wallets. The networks love it because it's primetime football.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Sunday December 4, 1:00pm - Bengals
    Thursday December 8, 8:20pm - Browns
    Monday December 19, 8:30pm - 49ers
    Saturday December 24, 1:00pm - Rams

Just looking at that schedule you wouldn't think it's anything to be to terribly concerned about other than the 49ers game. The real issue here lies in the travel schedule and the lack of rest and prepartion coming up over the next 4 games...or does it?

The Bengals game at home won't be an issue from a preparation standpoint having just played on Sunday, even the late game in KC. The Browns are at home against the Ravens this Sunday which should leave them pretty beat up whether they win or not. The Steelers having a short week at least get to stay at home. Plus they know the Browns as well as anybody so from a preparation standpoint the main thing is to just get as much rest as you can and hope there are no significant injuries the game before.

There's a nice break before traveling out to San Francisco which really, really comes in handy after playing 2 games in less than a week. Those extra few days will help rest the bumps and bruises and allow them figure out the best way to attack the other Harbaugh.

Then after that Monday night game they fly home to play the Rams at Heinz Field on Saturday, Christmas eve. Beating the Rams should be no problem, in theory. St. Louis plays at home against the Bengals, who could be fighting for their playoff lives at that point so expect that to be a physical matchup.

All in all considering how many games the Steelers play over the next few weeks the traveling & schedule gods were pretty fair to them, atleast as much one can hope.

Having said all that I still don't like Thursday night games. There's so many injuries that happen and players can't recover from the week before. The NFL loves it because it pads their wallets. The networks love it because it's primetime football.
    Well the browns should be really worn down. Ravens will abuse them.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Solid breakdown Matt. I really like how things could work out for us. That extra off day following the Rams game is nice too heading into the finale with Cleveland.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Keep in mind as well the 49ers should wrap up the division and likely the #2 seed by then so they might be inclined to "rest" some key players vs the Steelers. Never know, but if I had everything wrapped up by then and I was playing the physical Pittsburgh Steelers, I would certainly take precautions to make sure my key starters were not in that game.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yeah if the 49ers do have the division wrapped up, they certainly won't get home field at this point so there probably will not be much to play for. Even if they don't rest players it's possible that they won't be quite as motivated as they are up to that point.

Either way I fully expect them to be up for this game just because everybody gets up to play the Steelers.

They're (niners) playing the Steelers, that all the motivation they or any team needs. They'll be up for the game, and we better be too.

My Mood
    saints-hater
    I doubt the Niners will have the number 2 seed wrapped up by that game with the Steelers on December 19th. The Saints right now and even Dallas who has the head to head tiebraker over the Niners are still only a game or two behind the Niners at this point and I doubt it will be decided by that game. Plus, dont forget John Harbaugh the brother of Jim Harbaugh being the complete douchebag that he is is going to push hard and I mean hard for his brother to win that game either to give the Steelers at least one loss before this season is over just incase the Ravens slip and lose 1 out of their last 5 games to close out the season.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Saints will certainly be giving the 49ers a run for their money, so indeed they may not have it sewn up by then. If they did it would be a benefit to us. Hell by then they might have the 3rd seed wrapped up with little chance to get any higher.

The Steelers can't count on anything but a great effort from the 49ers defense so our offensive line better be ready for a heavy pass rush all day long.

My Mood
    Clowns
    The Saints offense is on fire and really hitting their stride. They put 62 on the Colts and 49 or something the other night on the Giants. Right now the 49ers are playing well, and their defense is outstanding, playing very tough and physical. The NFC is a 3 team race at the top with the Packers, 49ers, and Saints. After that it's a dropoff to teams like Atlanta who are still in it but not the level of the top contenders.

Thread Information