Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest QB Ever?

Bookmark and Share
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    How good of a coach was Belichick in Cleveland? He wasn't the so called genius as coach of the Browns. So its safe to say Belichick owes Brady in winning three Super Bowls. Plus Brady wouldn't have won without Little Bill.

No kidding 12-1 is a team record. Thanks for telling me that. Wow the Pats defense helped in the Pats winning 3 Super Bowls. I'm so glad you told me that. Well Terry Bradshaw had a pretty good defense in winning four Super Bowls. Probally the greatest defense ever. I guess Bradshaw is a piece of **** like Brady.

I just find it funny people continue to knock Tom Brady. The guy has won three Super Bowls and was a 6th round pick. The guy has proven to be a great QB. Plus the dink and dunk system you refer to. I guess you didn't pay attention when Brady threw that bomb to Deion Branch in the 2004 title game against the Steelers?

Brady doesn't have a cannon for an arm. But he takes his shots when he has to. Plus Tom Brady never has had elite WR's to throw to. I don't like Brady either but he is a proven winner and will be in the Hall of Fame. Like I said I wouldn't put Brady in my top five. But he is a great QB.

My Mood
    Mad
    Here is Tom Brady's career stats.

21,564 yards and completed 62 percent of his passes.
    His TD/INT ratio is 147-78

Thats his regular season stats. He isn't Peyton Manning during the regular season but he is still very good. I would take that to go along with his success in the play-offs.

I think all great QB's had help. From Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach,Joe Montana, John Elway,Troy Aikman didn't win Super Bowl by themselves. They all had great teams like Tom Brady.

Only four QB's have won Three Super Bowls or more. Troy Aikman, Tom Brady, Terry Bradshaw and Joe Montana.

I don't feel like looking up Bradshaw's stats for a comparison, but I'm sure they're probably better. And yeah, Bradshaw had a great team, which is why I also don't put him in the top 5 QBs ever, but I'd still take him over Brady.

And yeah, Brady does get lucky on those bombs sometimes, like the one to Branch you mentioned. But look at the Chargers game. He kept trying to go deep and was horribly innaccurate, other than that 1 pass he completed to Caldwell along the sideline. If I was looking for a vertical pass offense I'd pick Manning or Roethlisberger. If I wanted the little dink and dunk passes, I'd also rather go with Manning or Ben, because they can do that in addition to throwing down the field. Just about every play on Brady's famous game winning drives have been short dump offs to the flat or 5 yards over the middle against a defense in deep pass coverage with the reciever running for another 5-10 yards after the catch.

I'll give Brady credit for a few things. He usually has good pocket sense and is able to find the right spot to throw from, he's calm under pressure (as in not having alot of time left, not blitzing. I've seen Brady get rattled easily by a decent blitz), and he's a good leader. But those kinds of things don't make him a great QB, they make him an effective QB when he doesn't have to win the game by himself. Brady on the 2000 Ravens would have been a perfect fit. Brady in a situation where he is the focal point, like Peyton Manning or John Elway or Dan Marino, would be a failure.

Personally I have more respect for a Dan Marino type QB than a glorified Trent Dilfer with nice leadership qualities.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

My Mood
    Mad
    A glorified Trent Dilfer? With a statement like that I don't know how serious I can take your posts? I would review that statement.lol As for Dan Marino I also have alot of respect for Danny Boy. The second best QB of alltime in my opinion behind only Johnny Unitas.

Yea Tom Brady would suck throwing to Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne,Brandon Stokley like Peyton Manning has enjoyed. Plus Brady never has had elite RB's like Marshall Faulk and Edge James like Peyton has enjoyed. Brady finally had Corey Dillon from the 2004 season and on but Dillon is past his prime. Look at that 2003 season when the Pats had no running game and Tom Brady carried that team.

As for stating you would want Ben over Tom Brady. I'm the biggest Ben fan around. I have watched the dude since his Miami of Ohio days but as of right now Tom Brady is the better QB.

Just to let you know Brady had more 40+ completions then Peyton Manning this year with far less talent at WR then Peyton Manning. Its alright to hate Tom Brady but your lame attempt to knock Tom Brady is well lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    A glorified Trent Dilfer? With a statement like that I don't know how serious I can take your posts? I would review that statement.lol
    Ok, I guess "glorified Trent Dilfer" isn't the best way to put it. More like Trent Dilfer is a poor man's Tom Brady.

Yea Tom Brady would suck throwing to Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne,Brandon Stokley like Peyton Manning has enjoyed. Plus Brady never has had elite RB's like Marshall Faulk and Edge James like Peyton has enjoyed. Brady finally had Corey Dillon from the 2004 season and on but Dillon is past his prime. Look at that 2003 season when the Pats had no running game and Tom Brady carried that team.
    Skill of the WRs has less impact on the QB than the skill of the QB has on WRs. Some guys have an edge in hands, but it's rarely a huge edge, some guys run better routes, but again it's not like any WRs in the league suck at running routes. The biggest aspects of a WR that make a difference are speed and size, and those aren't skills, they're physical attributes.

As for a running game, as Brady has said, before they got Dillon their passing game WAS their running game. Short little dinks and dunks are about the same as running the ball, only the guy doesn't have to get through the defensive line to get yards.

As for stating you would want Ben over Tom Brady. I'm the biggest Ben fan around. I have watched the dude since his Miami of Ohio days but as of right now Tom Brady is the better QB.
    This year, yeah Brady was better than Ben. But I'd rather have Ben at the top of his game than Brady on the top of his.

Just to let you know Brady had more 40+ completions then Peyton Manning this year with far less talent at WR then Peyton Manning. Its alright to hate Tom Brady but your lame attempt to knock Tom Brady is well lame.
    I'm not saying Brady doesn't try to throw deep, and he has some fast recievers that fit that strategy thanks to that speed, I'm just saying that Brady is mediocre at deep passing, and he's at his best when he can dink and dunk underneath deep coverage. Manning this year, as has been pointed out in just about every game I've seen him play this year, is facing defenses that are refusing to give up the deep passes, and so he's settling for the underneath stuff untill he gets a chance to throw deep.

I'm not saying Brady is terrible, I'm saying that he's horribly overrated. Everything you hear in the media is how great Brady is. When people think of the Patriots, they think it must be Brady because like you said, he's never had truly great recieving corps and he's been one of the only guys to stay with the team while alot of other guys have been replaced. But that's just a kneejerk "his team keeps winning, so it must be him" reaction. If you really look deeper at it, he's not nearly as amazing as he's proclaimed to be.
    Last edited by SteelerFan87; 01-19-2007 at 12:22 AM.

i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

My Mood
    Mad
    Joe Montana didn't have the strongest arm either. Plus its safe to say Bill Walsh had the perfect system for Joe. So I have heard this arguement before the same things you say about Tom Brady were said about Joe Montana.

Look I'm not a Tom Brady fan at all. I hate the guy but you don't win three Super Bowls by accident. I would take him over any QB in the league right now. He has proven to be the best clutch QB in the game. I'll take that anyday over arm strength.

You can take him if you want. I'll be happy with Manning, Ben, Brees, or Bulger throwing well to every part of the field while you enjoy Brady dinking and dunking and connecting on the occasionall deep pass.

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan87 View Post
    You can take him if you want. I'll be happy with Manning, Ben, Brees, or Bulger throwing well to every part of the field while you enjoy Brady dinking and dunking and connecting on the occasionall deep pass.

Ok you really should think before posting.lol You rather have a proven play-off choker like Peyton Manning then a three time Super Bowl winner?

I could make a case for Ben since he has youth on his side and is still growing as an QB.

As for Drew Brees and Marc Bulger.

Hey Drew Brees is an awesome QB. But one play-off win doesn't cancel out three Super Bowl wins. Plus you seem so stuck on a strong arm. Brees doesn't have a cannon when it comes to arm strength.

Then Marc Bulger again he is a very good QB but isn't special like Tom Brady.

Quit being a hater and give the guy the respect he deserves as a QB.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I for one will give the Patriots team the respect they deserve. Brady on the other hand has done nothing more than Ben did in his first 2 seasons. (I'll give him a buy for this past season with everything that went on.) Brady manages the game and doesn't usually cost his team. I don't think he is a "great" QB by any means but I would take him over a lot of QB's in this league. I can't say if I would take Manning over him or not. That would depend mostly on how the team was built.

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Ok you really should think before posting.lol You rather have a proven play-off choker like Peyton Manning then a three time Super Bowl winner?

I could make a case for Ben since he has youth on his side and is still growing as an QB.

As for Drew Brees and Marc Bulger.

Hey Drew Brees is an awesome QB. But one play-off win doesn't cancel out three Super Bowl wins. Plus you seem so stuck on a strong arm. Brees doesn't have a cannon when it comes to arm strength.

Then Marc Bulger again he is a very good QB but isn't special like Tom Brady.

Quit being a hater and give the guy the respect he deserves as a QB.
    People blame every playoff loss on Manning, and yeah, in some of them he has been absolutely terrible. But in others, it's pretty hard to complete passes when you're lying on your back all day, or your defense can't stop anybody, or your normally sure handed recievers drop passes that are right in their hands. And the games when Manning has looked his worst are against the Pats and Belichick, who has had Manning's number for a long time. Now, I'm not sure that's still the case considering the Colts have won the last 2 games against the Pats. We'll see this Sunday.

And I'm not focusing on a strong arm. Michael Vick has a very strong arm, but that doesn't mean he's good at throwing deep. I'm talking about the ability to throw ACCURATELY past 10 yards. Brady can get the ball down the field, but he is off target or overthrows/underthrows his recievers more often than he completes those passes.

Thread Information