Thread: Bruce Arians and multiple personnel changes

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Bruce Arians and multiple personnel changes

This is a double edged sword that the Steelers are swinging around every week and it came back to bite them again.

When you're in short yardage, goal to go, type situations why in the world are you giving the ball Antonio Brown on an obvious end around that doesn't work, or letting Moore run the ball?

I'm all for keeping teams off balance, that's fine and dandy, but in some cases you stick with what works. When it's short yardage you give the ball to Redman and 9-10 times he's going to convert whether the defense knows it's coming or not. Atlest get him in the lineup and then if you want to run a play action and use a quick pass to say David Johnson or something, that's fine. Atleast let them think Redman is getting the ball, and maybe give it to him in those situations more...just a thought! *sarcasm*

The WR screen plays, for the love of God stop throwing them to Hines Ward. They didn't work at all yesterday when he took the pass. He was tackled either immediately or after a minimal gain. If you're going to keep this love affair with the screen then use Brown, Wallace, or Sanders more often and give yourself a chance to make a first down.

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    This is a double edged sword that the Steelers are swinging around every week and it came back to bite them again.

When you're in short yardage, goal to go, type situations why in the world are you giving the ball Antonio Brown on an obvious end around that doesn't work, or letting Moore run the ball?

I'm all for keeping teams off balance, that's fine and dandy, but in some cases you stick with what works. When it's short yardage you give the ball to Redman and 9-10 times he's going to convert whether the defense knows it's coming or not. Atlest get him in the lineup and then if you want to run a play action and use a quick pass to say David Johnson or something, that's fine. Atleast let them think Redman is getting the ball, and maybe give it to him in those situations more...just a thought! *sarcasm*

The WR screen plays, for the love of God stop throwing them to Hines Ward. They didn't work at all yesterday when he took the pass. He was tackled either immediately or after a minimal gain. If you're going to keep this love affair with the screen then use Brown, Wallace, or Sanders more often and give yourself a chance to make a first down.
    I agree with most of this, BUT if the other WRs don't block then it doesn't matter if it's Hines or Wallace or any other wideout, they aren't going to gain yards!!!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    No doubt about it, if there aren't any blockers out there then it doesn't matter who catches the ball. One of the problems is that teams are loading up on the side where the bunch formation is because they are catching on to the Steelers love of the screen play. When you have 2 blockers out there and 3 or 4 defenders, you're chances of making the play successful diminish considerably.

It's in those cases where you want a speed burner to try and make someone miss and get upfield, and where a guy like Hines would excel at blocking for Wallace or AB or Sanders.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
    I agree with most of this, BUT if the other WRs don't block then it doesn't matter if it's Hines or Wallace or any other wideout, they aren't going to gain yards!!!
    That's why Hines needs to block, that's about all he has left. He's lost 1-2 steps, can't get separation and gets no YAC. Like Matt said, if your going to use the WR screen 1. don't use it inside the 10 yard line and 2. let Sanders or Brown be the receiver, position Ward to be a blocker. But, hey, BA knows what he's doing

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Sunshine
    I agree about throwing the screen to Hines but he's still very good at finding an opening when their def. is playing zone.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Veteran
    My Mood
    Angry
    seems like our offense is playing not to lose. poor clock management. im sick of these 2 and 26 runs, and two yard screens to ward.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

Thread Information