Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelers continue to keep pace with the Ravens...

Bookmark and Share
    2nd String
    All hail the Ravens! Bow before them! The 8-3 powerhouse! The winner of 1 SB in over 10 years! The world is against them, but they conquer and usurp! Hold on, I feel the earth shaking, it must be the Ravens are getting restless! Run, hide.

Fans like this make us all look stupid. Fact is, we beat you most of the time. You can quote stats, history, etc. all you want, that does not prove anything. The next game is what proves a team. This year, as usual, out teams are evenly matched. You just happened to beat us this year, twice. We play two more times, we could very well beat you twice. To say this is "your year" is ridiculous. For god's sake, if the Seahawks beat a team such as the Ravens, which is a high caliber team, then yes, the Steelers can beat them too. I am not knocking the Ravens, I am just reinforcing the fact any team can beat any team, and that does not make them better overall, just on that given day.

I left a Ravens forum because of delusional fans. There were a few who were grounded in reality, but most were arrogant haters whose every thread devolved into a Pittsburgh/Ben hatefest. Rudeness, name-calling, and outright ignorance drove me away. I am sure there are much better Ravens forums, but that was horrid. And I live just outside of Baltimore, and I can attest to much of this day to day life.

If you stay, please make statements grounded in reality. You seem like a bright fellow, so don't beat your chest over nothing. Remember, the Ravens looked like crap 3 times this year too.

I am sure there are some less than savory Steelers forums too (and some welcoming Ravens forums), but this place is pretty tame. You seem to be on the edge of mixing things up.

Don't tell yourself that collectively any one fanbase is better or more deserving than another. Each has it's own conglomerate of stupid. Just remember that.

Now, I will respond to the nature of this post:

The Ravens beat the Steelers twice this year, and they earned it. Flacco had the drive of his career, he looked spectacular. In my opinion, he does that 1 out of 1000 times. But, as I said, he looked spectacular. The teams are very evenly matched, but I feel the difference is in the QB position. Roethlisberger has that X factor. You never know what ways he will find to win a game.

Looking a ahead, I see the Bengals beating either the Ravens or the Steelers at least once. Or maybe both? Who knows. Talking crap won't change that. Either way, I bet we meet in the playoffs. And overall, I like our record in the playoffs with Ben much more than Joe's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens1 View Post
    No, not T Sizzle, just a Baltimore (Ravens) fan.

BTW. For those of you touting 6 superbowls. Parse it anyway you want to, but here is how I see it. 4 of your superbowls were 1980 and earlier. Since the 21st Century you have 2 (2006 and 2009) and Baltimore has 1 (2000). If you go back to the 20th Century, you have 4 (1975, 1976, 1979, 1980) and Baltimore has 1 official superbowl (1970) and 2pre Superbowl NFL National Championships 1958 and 1959. So I call and say 4-6 Baltimore-Pittsburgh.

Rookie Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Ravens1, answer this very serious question:

What would you do if Joe Flacco and you were both in the shower together no one else, he asks you to pleasure him, would you??
    No I wouldn't. I'd have to suggest he ask some of the wonderful folks in State College Pennsylvania who apparently have interests and talents in this regard.

Rookie Free Agent StillinBaltimore's Avatar
    You're kidding right. You follow the NAME rather than the TEAM representing the CITY? The Pittsburgh Steelers you so highly tout have neither one player nor one coach actively a part of the team from the 20th Century Pittsburgh Steeler superbowl winners.

And if you want to associate the records with the NAME, you're even further behind.

The fifth-oldest franchise in the NFL, the Steelers were founded as the Pittsburgh Pirates on July 8, 1933. The Pittsburgh Steelers of the NFL first took to the field as the Pittsburgh Pirates on September 20, 1933, losing 23–2 to the New York Giants. Through the 1930s, the Pirates never finished higher than second place in their division, or with a record better than .500 (1936). Prior to the 1940 season, the Pirates renamed themselves the Steelers.

During World War II, the Steelers experienced player shortages. They twice merged with other NFL franchises to field a team. During the 1943 season, they merged with the Philadelphia Eagles forming the "Phil-Pitt Eagles" and were known as the "Steagles". This team went 5–4–1. In 1944, they merged with the Chicago Cardinals and were known as Card-Pitt (or, mockingly, as the "Carpets"). This team finished 0–10, marking the only winless team in franchise history.

The Steelers made the playoffs for the first time in 1947, tying for first place in the division at 8–4 with the Philadelphia Eagles. This forced a tie-breaking playoff game at Forbes Field, which the Steelers lost 21–0. That would be Pittsburgh's only playoff game for the next 25 years, though the Steelers did qualify for a "Playoff Bowl" in 1962 as the second-best team in their conference, though not considered an official playoff.

So, lets look at it the way you want to, by following the TEAM. Founded in 1933 and the first National Championship in 1975??? It took you 42 years of existance to win your first Championship!!!

The Baltimore Ravens came into existence in 1995 when Art Modell, then owner of the Cleveland Browns, announced his intention to relocate his team from Cleveland to Baltimore. They won their first Superbowl in 2000, 5 years in. You do the math. I certainly hope a team that has been in existance for 78 years vs 16 years would have more National Championships. Plus as you know, these things come in gluts, as in the combination of players and coaching strings them together(witness Green Bay). And of course, on any given Sunday, otherwise known as, there but for the grace of God go I. So, good luck Steagles.
    LMAO! You broke out the Steegles!? Mission accomplished. Got a long, drawn out, defensive post out of ya with a little jab.

No I wouldn't. I'd have to suggest he ask some of the wonderful folks in State College Pennsylvania who apparently have interests and talents in this regard.
    LOL, I didn't want to go there...

Rookie Free Agent
    It's me SteelerNation, I don't know who of you remember me but I was away for awhile..

As for the steelers keeping pace with the Ravens, I feel it really doesn't matter if they run the table or not, I don't think the ravens will lose any more games then us IMOH though, but the ravens have a very suspect hit and miss offence that could flutter any given sunday and cost them a game against a avg team like it has in the past this year.

But I have hope

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerJay View Post
    It's me SteelerNation, I don't know who of you remember me but I was away for awhile..

As for the steelers keeping pace with the Ravens, I feel it really doesn't matter if they run the table or not, I don't think the ravens will lose any more games then us IMOH though, but the ravens have a very suspect hit and miss offence that could flutter any given sunday and cost them a game against a avg team like it has in the past this year.

But I have hope
    Welcome back Jay, good to see ya again!

The Ravens have some tough road games coming, and by that just the fact that they don't play well on the road in general. Anything can happen especially if Flacco gets pressure and teams are able to keep Rice in check.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    You're kidding right. You follow the NAME rather than the TEAM representing the CITY? The Pittsburgh Steelers you so highly tout have neither one player nor one coach actively a part of the team from the 20th Century Pittsburgh Steeler superbowl winners.

And if you want to associate the records with the NAME, you're even further behind.

The fifth-oldest franchise in the NFL, the Steelers were founded as the Pittsburgh Pirates on July 8, 1933. The Pittsburgh Steelers of the NFL first took to the field as the Pittsburgh Pirates on September 20, 1933, losing 23–2 to the New York Giants. Through the 1930s, the Pirates never finished higher than second place in their division, or with a record better than .500 (1936). Prior to the 1940 season, the Pirates renamed themselves the Steelers.

During World War II, the Steelers experienced player shortages. They twice merged with other NFL franchises to field a team. During the 1943 season, they merged with the Philadelphia Eagles forming the "Phil-Pitt Eagles" and were known as the "Steagles". This team went 5–4–1. In 1944, they merged with the Chicago Cardinals and were known as Card-Pitt (or, mockingly, as the "Carpets"). This team finished 0–10, marking the only winless team in franchise history.

The Steelers made the playoffs for the first time in 1947, tying for first place in the division at 8–4 with the Philadelphia Eagles. This forced a tie-breaking playoff game at Forbes Field, which the Steelers lost 21–0. That would be Pittsburgh's only playoff game for the next 25 years, though the Steelers did qualify for a "Playoff Bowl" in 1962 as the second-best team in their conference, though not considered an official playoff.

So, lets look at it the way you want to, by following the TEAM. Founded in 1933 and the first National Championship in 1975??? It took you 42 years of existance to win your first Championship!!!

The Baltimore Ravens came into existence in 1995 when Art Modell, then owner of the Cleveland Browns, announced his intention to relocate his team from Cleveland to Baltimore. They won their first Superbowl in 2000, 5 years in. You do the math. I certainly hope a team that has been in existance for 78 years vs 16 years would have more National Championships. Plus as you know, these things come in gluts, as in the combination of players and coaching strings them together(witness Green Bay). And of course, on any given Sunday, otherwise known as, there but for the grace of God go I. So, good luck Steagles.
    National Championships?....When did the NFL become college football?.......Comparing the Ravens after they moved from Cleveland in 1995 to the Steelers in the pre-Super Bowl era is a very bad comparison.......The Ravens were still an established franchise and wasn't like a typical expansion team.....Plus modern NFL expansion teams had it much easier to build a franchise then past expansion teams......No doubt the Steelers were the joke of the NFL in their first 40 years......Bad roster moves and horrible coaching moves were mainly to blame (Steelers did cut Johnny Unitas).....lol So you welcome Baltimore for that gift.......

--- Added 12/2/2011 at 09:54 AM ---

No, not T Sizzle, just a Baltimore (Ravens) fan.

BTW. For those of you touting 6 superbowls. Parse it anyway you want to, but here is how I see it. 4 of your superbowls were 1980 and earlier. Since the 21st Century you have 2 (2006 and 2009) and Baltimore has 1 (2000). If you go back to the 20th Century, you have 4 (1975, 1976, 1979, 1980) and Baltimore has 1 official superbowl (1970) and 2pre Superbowl NFL National Championships 1958 and 1959. So I call and say 4-6 Baltimore-Pittsburgh.
    Really you're comparing pre Super Bowl era NFL championships to Super Bowls?.....lol I think that is ......The whole NFL landscape is different in the modern era and really started in the Super Bowl era after the merger between the AFL/NFL......

Of course those old NFL championships still count but only from 1920-mid 60s......

--- Added 12/2/2011 at 10:00 AM ---

Steelers looked terrible against KC. My money says you lose to Cincy and SF and that is that for your season. If you happen to get a wild card, you will be embarassed in the playoffs. Not your year. Out with the old, in with the new.
    Ravens lost to the Titans, Jags, Seahawks.......The Steelers beat all of those power houses....lol Plus against the Bengals the Ravens got lucky when a TD was taken away from the Bungles......If the Bengals had only needed a field goal instead of TD at the end there then the Bengals could have kicked the field goal to force OT......

The Steelers will beat the Bengals again and will also beat the 49ers.......The 49ers offense is a joke....wait oh how did I forget the 49ers also had a TD taken away from them against the Ravens........ on a very cheap call....lol

Congrats the Ratbirds finally beat the Steelers twice this year......The first game was an *** kicking and I can't defend that in anyway....But the 2nd game was a close game that could have gone either way....I know I like the Steelers chances if our two teams meet a third time this year.......

Rookie Free Agent
    Falcco has had a decent year but on the road he plays poorly when teams get after him and get to him, thats what i love abot ben he plays better under preasure, but anything can happen

and thanks glad to be back!

Thread Information