Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mendenhall....I'm sorry but I'm just not sold on him

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    this makes no sense rice and mendy are different styles I'd take mendy over 85% of the backs in the league . We won the game and we are whining what's up with that?
    Not to mention, Ray Rice runs behind a fullback, as does Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster, Chris Johnson, Frank Gore, Etc.

FB might be an antiquated position in a passing style offense, but it sure is a valuable commodity in a running game. Some people (Arians) have to get that through their thick head and using a TE as a FB is not a viable solution.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Bruce Arians hates fullbacks, once he became OC he was hell bent on getting rid of the full time traditional blocker. I shutter to think how much better the Steeler running game would be if they had a real full back there to help lead block especially for guys like Mendenhall who really need a great offensive line to be at their peak.

As a result of the Steelers lack of commitment to the running game, the defenses are starting to show signs of no longer respecting the play action fake in the passing game.

My Mood
    Clowns
    The play action worked pretty well on Sunday night, but that could be simply because the Chiefs defense was playing so aggressively. I noticed several times that Ben faked the handoff and the entire Chiefs line bit on it and he was able to look down field. It was one of the few times he had a couple seconds to actually survey the field.

In general though I would agree that teams are going to start not respecting the run as much which is why it's so important to atleast try and do it. If you are going to try though to run it, settle on someone and just do it already. Easier said than done with the offensive line being in flux again last Sunday. It's a tough thing I know but knowing the Steelers they will always try to run the ball.

It was a different look the Steelers faced on Sunday. For the 1st time all year, the Chiefs did to the Steelers what the Steelers did to the Pats- played physical man coverage all night and it grossly upset the timing and execution of the passing game.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    It was a different look the Steelers faced on Sunday. For the 1st time all year, the Chiefs did to the Steelers what the Steelers did to the Pats- played physical man coverage all night and it grossly upset the timing and execution of the passing game.
    this.

brandon flowers is a very physical corner and he showed wallace that

Starter
    My Mood
    Angry
    Mendenhall is starting to remind me more of another first round bust, Tim Worley.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

I'd really like to see Mendenhall have a chance to run behind a truly legit O-Line. Pittsburgh hasn't had one in his entire time here.
    Host of Power Pregame and Panther Primer on TribLive Radio
    Contributing Writer for Pittsburgh Sporting News
    Owner of "The Voice Says...." Blog
    Follow me on Twitter: @SteelCityVoice
    "Like" My Sports Page on Facebook

My Mood
    Clowns
    If they do try to establish the run this weekend, and it's a safe bet that they will, the Bengals have a solid run defense so it won't be easy for Rashard to get going. The AFC North is not the ideal situation for running backs to have a lot of success against their rivals.

Even if he isn;'t breaking off big runs, and they hold him to 3-5 yards per carry, that is fine. It will wear down the defense and eat up clock AND force the Bengals to respect the play action fake.

Steelers need to be patient in the run game. . .

Thread Information