Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mendenhall....I'm sorry but I'm just not sold on him

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    saints-hater
    I think Dwyer needs to be dressing more and given more of an opportunity over a guy like Mewelde Moore at this point and time. Tomlin has already reduced the role of older guys like Hines and Hoke and I think it's about time he does the same thing with Moore in favor of Dwyer...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think the problem with dressing Dwyer is that he is along the same lines as Redman. A north and south, tough, between the tackles type of guy. They dress Moore because he's a good receiver out of the backfield and has a knack for being effective on 3rd down.

I wouldn't be opposed to dressing Dwyer more, I like how he plays. Memo though is generally pretty effective still.

My Mood
    Manic
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Paul View Post
    I agree completely. Too much dancing around looking for a hole. He needs to bust through like other running backs, e.g., Ray Rice.
    this makes no sense rice and mendy are different styles I'd take mendy over 85% of the backs in the league . We won the game and we are whining what's up with that?

i thought he played well considering when pouncey is out the line is in shambles

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    I think the problem with dressing Dwyer is that he is along the same lines as Redman. A north and south, tough, between the tackles type of guy. They dress Moore because he's a good receiver out of the backfield and has a knack for being effective on 3rd down.

I wouldn't be opposed to dressing Dwyer more, I like how he plays. Memo though is generally pretty effective still.
    IMHO I would take redman out of the backfield more than Mendy catching balls. I dont think Redman gets enough credit for caching the ball and going wth it. Dress Dwyer but give him the reps of Redman and boosts Redmans reps to about 5 more snaps a game to 10.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The problem with Mendenhall, and we've said it before if we've said a thousand times. He runs upright and too often and doesn't finish off his runs consistently.

Sometimes like last night, he runs like a bull and is tough to bring down and then other times, like last night again, he gets hit and goes down. You want to see him lower his head and fall forward, taking on the defender rather than just folding up or worse stiffening up and then going down. It's that inconsistent play that drives me nuts every week.

You would think after all this time the coaches would be able to teach him how to finish off his runs consistently. Either they are and he just doesn't do it, or they aren't coaching it. I suspect, and common sense tells you, it's the former though.

Mendenhall has great balance too... If he learned to put his head down and initiate contact more often he would be bouncing off guys, keeping his feet, and breaking big runs much more consistently.

He's been around long enough, he's probably never going to change. He just doesn't run like "Steeler fans" want to see... Could you imagine him with a Marion Barber type of attitude towards contact? Wow, he could be special... but then he also might be hurt a lot more.

I witnessed one play last night that sums up Mendenhall. I think it was when they tied the game at 3-3. Ben threw a pass to him out of the backfield towards the left sideline. He caught it and was 1-on-1 with a DB (can't recall who it was). Instead of at least trying to run over the DB, he shied away from contact and went down to the ground.

It's plays like that which makes me question his toughness. As i've said before, i'm sure he's a great guy and all, but I just don't like him as a RB.

I'm not a Mendenhall homer, but I will say that I will not pass judgement on this guy until he get s 2 or 3 games of 25-30 carries, and then I will eveluate his production. He got 17 carries last night, and averages 13 carries per game this season. He has fumbled once this year, and he is not Earl Campbell so he won't run over a lot of people.

He is a lot better than Redman and Dwyer; but it is hard to demonstrare this when he only gets 13 to 17 carries per game. KC's Front 7 did a hell of a job last night. Pouncey had the trots, Legs has to slide over to center and Kemo was back at LG. Not a formidable line by any stretch. If Mendy gets 25 carries vs the Rams and only has 55 yards, then I will buy what you're selling. Until then, Mendy is my guy to carry the rock.

Veteran
    My Mood
    Angry
    I can't stand him. He only has 550 yards rushing this year? Tired of people making excuses for him.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

Thread Information