Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Ryan Mundy shown enough to unseat Ryan Clark in 2012

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Has Ryan Mundy shown enough to unseat Ryan Clark in 2012

Just something I was thinking about the other day for some reason. Ryan Clark signed a new 4 yr deal in 2010, if you remember that scenario where he was set to sign with Miami and then backed out when the Steelers called at literally the last minute.

Dick Lebeau loves Clark and his style of play and Ryan enjoys playing in Pittsburgh so from that perspective you would think all is well. However the Steelers defense is going to go through some changes in 2012, we all know that. Aaron Smith will be done, Casey Hampton could be as well. Chris Hoke signed a 1 yr deal to return this year so his status is in question as well.

Ryan Mundy has been a serviceable backup since he came to the team and usually plays pretty well. He was a restricted free agent heading into 2011 but with the new CBA agreement in place the Steelers shouldn't have any problem keeping him if they want too. The point I'm getting at is, how important is Ryan Clark to the defense and could Mundy be a guy that could supplant him and not miss a beat?

I would say right now it's probably a toss up with the edge going to Clark because of the experience but I wouldn't be completely opposed to Mundy getting a shot at some point perhaps while they draft a new top flight Safety. Ryan makes all the big hits but at times he gets lost or beaten badly in coverage and how much worse would Mundy really be?

My Mood
    Manic
    Mundy is a solid backup but lacks the fire that Clark has although heis a step slower Clark is still the better player in many aspects . THIS IS SOMETHING we could address in the draft with Munndy is a1 yr stop gap until we can get someone else then he can go to the bench

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Father time is creeping in on Mr Clark so if its not Mundy we better start looking elsewhere. Ryan came to us via free agency so you never know

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I think the Steelers will take a safety early in the draft......all depends though on who is available.......Biggest needs on this team heading into next year are ILB, OG, S, NT........

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I just have a weird feeling about the coming years for the defense. Guys like Hamp, Farrior, Smith are all potentially or definitely gone. In the secondary the Steelers are starting a youth movement of sorts and sooner or later the Safety spot is going to need attention. Troy just signed his new deal in the preseason so he's going to be there for awhile yet. Even though Clark's contract isn't up yet, at some point you're going to need more production out of position in pass coverage.

On the flip side, it's not like the Steelers secondary has been bad this year, in fact as we know they've been pretty darn good. With guys like Harrison you take the fines because you know he's going to make tons of plays. Clark makes some plays but also gets beat a ton.

Draft or FA safey please..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    no, clark n troy are butt buddies (so to speak)
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Rookie Free Agent StillinBaltimore's Avatar
    Without a doubt it's something we need to address, at least for the future. For Troy as well. Obviously, not now or for the next couple years, but Mundy being our only other Safety option right now is not a good thing. But, I can't be too hard on Clark because he has a hellofa tough job playing along side Troy in the back third. Cause Troy is all over the place so often and makes snap decisions that the other safety has to have a feel for in order for it to work.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I think the Steelers will take a safety early in the draft......all depends though on who is available.......Biggest needs on this team heading into next year are ILB, OG, S, NT........
    Yup. I think we will go after a FS in the first couple rounds in April too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I would like to see them do this, however if Clark's numbers continue to be what they are now they won't be looking for a Safety early on.

Honestly it's not that Clark is a bad Safety, on the contrary he's a very good one. The problem is that he's feast or famine and that drives us bonkers. Troy is feast or famine but he's more feast though which is what you want.

Thread Information