Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin Tuesday: Press conference 11/22

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Tomlin Tuesday: Press conference 11/22

Talking for the first time since meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell last week at league headquarters, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin called the discussions "very productive" at his weekly news conference today.

Tomlin and team president Art Rooney II spent Thursday in New York meeting with Goodell about recent statements and actions regarding player safety, including fines being levied on the Steelers in which they feel fall within the rules.

"We exchanged some ideas and I think the meeting was born out of a conversation with Art and the commissioner," Tomlin said. "They thought it would be productive for all of us to sit down and talk. It (was) good bye-week stuff."

Tomlin would not go into specifics of what the conversation consisted of, but Ryan Clark`s $40,000 fine for hitting Baltimore`s Ed Dickson likely was the topic of conversation.

"I will leave the conversation with those guys between them and myself," Tomlin said. "I think that is appropriate. I will say this, I appreciate the opportunity to visit with those men and get their perspective on some things and be able to give mine."
    In other news, Tomlin said the safety Troy Polamalu is dealing with sore ribs, but fully expects him to play Sunday night against Kansas City as well as quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (thumb). ... Linebacker LaMarr Woodley (hamstring), receivers Arnaz Battle (hamstring) and Emmanuel Sanders (knee) are day-to-day and have yet to be ruled out for Sunday`s game.

From the Trib

I'll have the full audio of his presser posted up later today.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Everytime there is a meeting of a Steelers player or coach with the league they always categorize it as "productive". So either the league said this is how it is, deal with it or they actually exchanged ideas and then the league said, this is how it is so deal with it.LOL

Tuesday, November 22, 2011
    Tuesday with Tomlin, coming out of the bye

From the sound of things, Mike Tomlin expects Emmanuel Sanders to be available when the Steelers travel to Kansas City this weekend.

Sanders has been out of action a couple of weeks following the death of his mother and having his knee scoped.

What that means for Hines Ward remains to be seen. Tomlin said the team hasn't come up with its complete game plan yet for the Chiefs and decided on what role, if any, Ward will play.

One thing that likely won't happen is Ward being a healthy scratch. No. 6 receiver Arnaz Battle, a special teams ace, is still dealing with a hamstring injury and won't play this week.

But what happens when Battle is healthy is anyone's guess.

© Linebacker LaMarr Woodley is continuing to work his way back from a hamstring injury. Tomlin said he'll continue to be limited in practice for now. But he's been less limited of late than he was a couple of weeks ago - when limited meant he did some work with trainers.

© Tomlin said there are a couple of reasons for Cameron Heyward's lack of playing time against the Bengals.

Tomlin doesn't want to take Brett Keisel and Ziggy Hood off the field – "they are highly conditioned athletes" – and the Steelers have been playing more sub packages that use only two defensive linemen.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

An unconfimred news source that I made up reported today Goodell told Tomlin that Steelers players better be ready to "bend over and take it." Whether it's in the form of undeserving fines and penalties, no protection for QB Roethlisberger, or just plain bad officiating, Steeler players and fans are going to continue to "suck it".

At least that's how I think the report from the Goodell meeting should look.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeEyes43 View Post
    An unconfimred news source that I made up reported today Goodell told Tomlin that Steelers players better be ready to "bend over and take it." Whether it's in the form of undeserving fines and penalties, no protection for QB Roethlisberger, or just plain bad officiating, Steeler players and fans are going to continue to "suck it".

At least that's how I think the report from the Goodell meeting should look.
    Sounds about right..

The report came from Harbaugh while he was palming Goodells sack!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Sounds about right..

The report came from Harbaugh while he was palming Goodells sack!

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    © Tomlin said there are a couple of reasons for Cameron Heyward's lack of playing time against the Bengals.

Tomlin doesn't want to take Brett Keisel and Ziggy Hood off the field – "they are highly conditioned athletes" – and the Steelers have been playing more sub packages that use only two defensive linemen.
    It's hard to argue with that because both guys are playing well so you don't want to fix what isn't broke. Heyward will get his chances to play and we can't forget he's still learning the ins and outs of playing on the defensive line in a Lebeau 34 defense. Getting off blocks, knowing when to bull rush, hang back, etc are all things that just take time. Guys that block you in the NFL are just a tad stronger, faster, quicker, and smarter than the ones that blocked you in college.

My Mood
    Clowns
    It appears that Hines Ward has been passed up on the depth chart as well by Cotchery according to Tomlin as well...Hines I still believe has a lot to contribute to this team I believe and I wouldnt rule him out of making a big big play somewhere down the road...But for now it appears that Brown,Sanders,and Cotchery have passed up Hines on the depth chart...

A healthy scratch sounds as though he has...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

You know how I would use Ward? Call me crazy, but I would use him as a blocker in the backfield on shotgun passing plays and if everyone is picked up, have him sneak off into the flat and utilize his abilities that way. It's win-win because he is a good blocker, he is an excellent pair of hands and even though he is a little older, out of the backfield presents a bad matchup for a LB to cover him in this capacity.

Thread Information