Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grimm interviews for 6 hours...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Grimm interviews for 6 hours...

Russ Grimm talked to the Steelersí brass for six hours Wednesday and then talked to the media for six minutes. Catch those six minutes here in the transcript of the offensive line coach who dares to follow in the footsteps of Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher.

RUSS GRIMM
    Russ Grimm has coached the Pittsburgh Steelersí offensive line the last six seasons and has also been the assistant head coach the last three seasons. He played center at the University of Pittsburgh before breaking into the NFL as the left guard of the Washington Redskins in 1981. Grimm played 11 seasons and was part of three Super Bowl titles with the Redskins. He began coaching the Redskinsí tight ends in 1992 and took over the offensive line in 1997 and stayed until the end of the 2000 season before joining the Steelers. Hereís the transcript from Wednesdayís conference with reporters:

Whatís there to talk about for six hours?

Itís a process that Iíve kind of gotten a little familiar with the last couple of years. Itís a thorough process and itís one of those things. Theyíll make a decision when theyíre comfortable. I thought things went as well as could be expected. Iím happy with the way things went on my end. But again, gotta sit back and wait for a decision to be made and weíll go from there.

What are you offering the Steelers?

Iím excited about the opportunity. I think itís a point in time in my career where Iím ready to make that next move. Itís not like you can say, well this was my record when I was a head coach here or a head coach there. Iím excited about it. Iím confident in my ability to run this football team. Again, the Steelers are built from the ownership, the community. Whether itís me that fills in this spot or somebody else, I think this football team is going to be successful, just simply for the fact of the way itís been built through the years, the way itís been handled, the support it gets from the community. Iím just excited about the opportunity.

Is continuity important?

Sometimes it is; sometimes it isnít. I donít want to get into too many detailed questions. Iím not making that decision. Iím excited about having a chance to be the head coach of this football team.

How long will the process take?

Itís a big decision. I know if I was on the other end of the table Iím not going to make the decision until Iím comfortable with somebody. As an assistant coach, Iím not making a decision or calling a play until Iím comfortable with it. Itís a process you go through and when theyíre comfortable with one of the candidates for the job, theyíll make a decision and things will move forward.

Is this team close? Or is 8-8 a little more indicative that thereís some work ahead?

Obviously thereís work wherever you go. Every year there are different teams. Youíve seen it over the last couple of years: Teams that were in the playoffs the year before, all of the sudden half or more are out the next year. Players move from team to team. You like to think thereís a good nucleus on this football team. Thereís enough ability on this football team. Itís just a matter of getting things in place, making sure that chemistryís there from year to year, taking one game at a time, eliminating some mistakes, and weíll see what happens.

Would you say Joe Gibbs was your major football influence?

There was a lot of guys. Thereís a lot of coaches I either coached for or played for that kind of influenced different characteristics in my style of coaching. There were Jackie Sherrill, Joe Moore from college, Joe Gibbs, coach [Bill] Cowher, Joe Bugel. You pick up a little bit from everything. I donít think itís just one characteristic. You watch how other people do it. I know that the last couple years I kind of watched how Bill handled certain things. You watch the news on how other coaches handle certain situations, how they handle it during the good times, how they react to things during the bad times, how you handle off-the-field things, how you deal with the press, how you deal with the community; things like that. There are a lot of variables that go into it. I wouldnít say it was definitely one guy. Iíve been blessed to have been around some good coaches. Sometimes weíll be standing there arguing; you may go, Ďwell, that didnít rub off on him,í or Ďthis didnít rub off on him.í You cross that bridge when you get there.

Were you disappointed that Bill didnít recommend you for this job?

I donít know if thatís an accurate statement. Itís been said, but it wasnít said to me. It hasnít been said here, so weíll leave that one alone.

Coach, if you did get the job would you be inclined to keep the staff thatís in place?

Iím not going to make any comments on staff. We have a lot of good football coaches here. Itís evident. We had a Super Bowl run two seasons ago. We have a lot of good football coaches. Thereís a lot of good football coaches out there. Iím not in a position right now to make decisions or to make comments on those positions.

When you do a lengthy interview such as this, are there portions in which you ask them questions?

There is. I mean, there are certain parts of this job Iím unfamiliar with just because of the experience factor. Thereís going to be things that I have to deal with that are league factors that havenít come across my desk before. Itís kind of a little bit of the unknown. I donít know what goes on at league meetings. I havenít been to a league meeting. Those things kind of excite you as to see what happens. Again, I feel confident in the other areas of coaching a football team, but thereís a lot more that goes into it.

Russ, concerning your resume, could you be any more prepared? What do you not know about the football part of it?

Thereís always things that come up different. Again, I feel confident as far as when to use timeouts, when to throw the flag, when to run, when to pass, when to punt, when to go for it. Those are decisions that sometimes are gut feelings. Sometimes everyone in the stands feels one way and you feel the other. Am I saying Iím not going to make any mistakes? No. I imagine that the longer you coach the more things you see and when those things come up you learn from them. I donít know if I need more on the resume or whatever. Itís exciting. Itís flattering to have the chance to get it, and itís kind of exciting once you go through the process and see what is all involved.

How do you deal with all the different personalities of the players?

Just like weíre standing in the room here. Everybody has a different personality. Part of the job is to take those different personalities, take those different backgrounds Ė whether it be religion, whether it be race, whether it be habits off the field Ė and try to blend that group into one machine on Sunday. And it takes different parts. Everybodyís not going to be the same. Everybody in the mediaís not going to be the same. Thereís people you go to work with. You say: I like talking to this guy; this guyís a good worker but he has no personality; this guyís a pain in the butt. Itís in every profession. Youíve got to be able to deal with it and if everybodyís working toward the same result, youíll make some progress.

By Jim Wexell
    SteelCityInsider.com
    Posted Jan 17, 2007
    Not a lot of answers but I feel hes a better fit then Whiz mostly because hes got the stones to tell players when they are screwin up.....

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    6 hours?? he's got this on lock........

F U C K........i can't stand it that i can't help but like grimm lol, he's got a badass name russ grimm, and everything i read on him is nothing but great stuff lol......i kind of want a younger guy, but i guess 47 is a good age lol.........
    Last edited by Koopa; 01-17-2007 at 08:32 PM.
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by koopa View Post
    6 hours?? he's got this on lock........
    Ain't no tellin Koop, the way all this has been playing out the past couple of weeks who knows.....yeah 6 hours is a long time to interview who knows when the Bears lose this week Rivera could have a 8 hour interview.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

6 hours!!! Wow that almost shows Grimm is going to get it unless of course they weren't getting the right answers and had to keep asking the same question over and over

I would like to Grimm now though... since Whiz is gone now...

Thanks for the post... I've kinda been pulling for Grimm all along.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Hot damn, a longer interview means atleast they are SERIOUSLY considering him. Comon guys, just pick Grimm and lets get on !

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    yup, they need to just give him the job and stop getting tomlins and riveras hopes up.........russ gots this on lock.........now lets get to the draft lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    He just seems like a guy that would fit us well, his attitude and humbleness and his dedication to our team..comon just pick the guy already !

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i'm just glad he doesn't look like andy reid anymore lol......well he doesn't in that pic in the first post lol.........

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    You just can't be pleased can you ?

Thread Information