Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirates/Braves make trade

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar

Pirates/Braves make trade

Save | Email this Article E-mail | Print this Article Print

clock Jan 17, 2007 6:10 pm US/Eastern
    Pirates Make A Major Trade

(KDKA) PITTSBURGH KDKA-TV Sports has learned that the Pirates are finally going to get the left-handed power bat they have been looking for.

The Pirates and Atlanta Braves have agreed in principal to a deal that would send closer Mike Gonzalez and a minor league pitcher to Atlanta for 27 year old Adam LaRoche.

KDKA's Bob Pompeani reports LaRoche is a solid defensive player but, most of all, he's the kind of left-handed bat that could make him a prolific home run hitter at PNC Park.

Last year, he had 32 home runs and 90 runs batted in.

LaRoche is going through arbitration for the first time.

In fact, the Braves have offered him $2.8 million for this year, but LaRoche wants $3.7 million.

The deal is pending a physical for both LaRoche and Gonzalez.

But LaRoche, if everything goes well from that standpoint, will become the Pirates' everyday first-baseman.

The Braves had wanted one of the Pirates' starters, specifically Paul Maholm.

Our sources indicate the Pirates will give the Braves a minor-league pitcher instead.

(© MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I think this is a good move by the Buccos. It sucks losing a closer like Gonzo. But the Pirates needed a left handed power in their lineup and LaRoche gives the Pirates that.

Finally a move that makes sense, moving something we have a crap load of for something we need! I never thought that would happen lol
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

Dammit! Why the **** would you trade a lights out closer like Gonzalez (who you've been developing as your closer for the past few years) instead of a guy like Maholm who you can easily replace with all the other young starters we have. Maholm is nothing special compared to some of the other guys we have. Right now we have Snell, Duke, Burnett, Van Benschotten, Chacon (right?) and Brad Lincoln. We shouldn't have traded Perez because we didn't get anything good for him (Nady? Come on.) Why not keep Perez, then trade Maholm for LaRoche? Nope. Instead we totally ****ed up so that we can't afford to trade Maholm and we end up losing a great young closer in Gonzales.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

Because we have bullpen guys coming out of ears!!!
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerDan43 View Post
    Because we have bullpen guys coming out of ears!!!
    Yeah, but there's a difference between good bullpen guys and good closers. Gonzo was awesome as a closer. Now what? We have Torres be the closer and wait another 2 years to develop a new one?
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

My feeling on it is that yes we had to give up a good player to get a good player but the player we get not only boosts our everyday power production but will allow other players to see better pitches. The everyday effect of a power hitter I think outweighs that of a closer. Especially when we have an abundance of bullpen guys to fill in, not only Torres but Grabow was an effective setup guy that is still relatively young and could grow into the closer's role along with alot of other bullpen guys up and comming. I just think that the benifits outweigh the costs. To get a guy like Laroche wasnt going to come cheap and we werent going to be able to get one in FA with the price hike so overall I think the deal was pretty good!

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar
    I love this trade.

A closer is no good if we barely have any games for him tom come in and close a win for us.
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    We needed a leftie, this works well i hope

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Reppin' 724
    Good deal

Thread Information