Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger broken thumb, says will start against Chiefs

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Roethlisberger broken thumb, says will start against Chiefs

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has a small break in his right thumb but said today it will not prevent him from playing and should not affect his play when the Steelers season resumes Nov. 27 in Kansas City.

Roethlisberger said his thumb was injured in the third quarter of Sunday's game in Cincinnati.

"I refractured it,'' Roethlisberger said today after practice, a protective sleeve on the right thumb. "How it happened, I don't remember."

He made a scheduled appearance at a local car dealership Monday night and apologized to guests for not being able to sign autographs. He also shook with his left hand.

Roethlisberger said if the Steelers had a game scheduled this weekend, he would play.
    This is not the first time Roethlisberger has had a similar issue with his right thumb, and it irritated former coach Bill Cowher when he was asked about it.
    It first came to light in 2005 and there were public issues about it over the next two seasons.

The first known injury occurred Nov. 28 during a game in Indianapolis and Cowher continued to list his quarterback as probable, and he continued to play.
    However, during a Cowher press conference Dec. 13, the coach showed his obvious frustration at the continued questions about Roethlisberger's thumb.
    "Talk to him,'' Cowher told a reporter who asked about the quarterback. "I'm not going to talk about it, so don't ask me questions. You can talk to him.''

Roethlisberger wore a protective sleeve on his thumb in past seasons when it bothered him and is expected to follow suit when he returns to practice after the bye week. The Steelers have light practices today and Wednesday, then have the next four days off. They will resume practices next Monday.

Great...

Not this again...

Oh well, Ben seems to play great when he is injured.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

Awaiting Seven...
    Ben will be fine, I'm not worried... He is the best quarterback in the league, when it comes to playing through injuries.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    My guess is that he has been playing with it for some time so it won't bother him any more than normal.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

This could explain why we were so run heavy in the 2nd half. I think it wont affect him at all. If I recall correctly he had the same broken thumb throughout the playoffs when we won superbowl 40.

KC sucks against the run so it could be a ground and pound game..

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger revealed on Tuesday that he suffered a small break in his right thumb during the third quarter of the Steelers 24-17 win over the Cincinnati Bengals.

Roethlisberger doesn’t recall how the injury occurred, but said it was the same thumb he broke in 2005.

“I re-fractured it,” said Roethlisberger. “I don’t quite remember how it happened. It must have been something on the ground or I caught it on the ground, but I don’t remember hitting in on a helmet.

“I just remember it being painful and going to the doctor and them looking at it. We got all of the tests done yesterday.”

The team’s training staff taped the thumb during the Bengals game, allowing him to not miss any time.

“John Norwig did a great job of taping it up and making a quick splint out of tape and went with it,” said Roethlisberger. “Squeezing it is the hardest part. Having the glove on helped grip it a little bit.”

The Steelers have a bye this weekend, before taking on the Kansas City Chiefs on Nov. 27 at Arrowhead Stadium, a game Roethlisberger said he won’t miss.

“I’d play this week,” said Roethlisberger. “We’ll concoct a splint. I’ll have a glove on for the rest of the year. It will be painful but it takes a lot to keep me out.”

Roethlisberger said getting rest during the team’s bye week will definitely help the thumb.

“Luckily we have the bye week,” he said. “I don’t have to throw right now. It will be a good time for it to rest. The big thing is just getting used to throwing with a splint on it again and a glove, which I have done before.”
    Link

I read that Bruce held it in his mouth until the swelling went down, is there any truth to that??

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    I read that Bruce held it in his mouth until the swelling went down, is there any truth to that??
    give it to Mikey it eats everything , give it to Bruce he sucks everything

Just reminded me of that cereal commercial hahahaha

--- Added 11/15/2011 at 03:31 PM ---

Ben is tuff like nails !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information