Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should instant replay be used to review personal fouls?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Should instant replay be used to review personal fouls?

We talked about this on the podcast tonight and I wanted to pose the question here in the forums to everyone. With instant replay now being used to review every scoring play as well, why not use it to review certain types of penalties?

I'm not suggesting you review every hold, pass interference, or illegal formation but rather use to review any personal foul call. Let's face it, those can be game changing penalties, especially late in the game. If you get a roughing the passer, or helmet to helmet hit late in the game the opposition keeps the chains moving and you're stuck out on the field on the defense. In a close game that can be an absolute killer.

If you're already slowing down the game to review the scoring plays and taking forever to review a normal challenge then you might as well go the next step and make sure a personal foul is really a personal foul. How many times would a perceived helmet to helmet maybe get overturned when you can watch it in slow motion?

Perhaps give the coaches the chance to challenge one of these types per game or just make them an automatic review?

Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked
    There would be 5 reviews alone a game when we play then

My Mood
    Impatient
    I think maybe. Its hard because Ray Lewis wasnt flagged on his hit on Hines, but should have been, especially since that donkey of a coach challenged the catch. It was incomplete, but a penalty should have been assessed. Maybe not stop the game for a personal foul, but if one is noticed in a replay, it should be assessed. Just like the NE game Sunday night when Gronk's TD was overturned. Ryan didnt know he stepped out of bounds, just thought he juggled the catch a little, but when the saw him step out of bounds, the overturned the decision.

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    The problem is too much is reviewed already. Thats why the zebras are constantly second guessing themselves resulting in bad and/or inconsistent calls. I am a fan of reviewing only possession and spots. I am, apparently, all alone in that however.

My Mood
    Frustrated
    instant replay was installed because the refs weren't getting the calls right especially in scoring situations.

now, they have no clue what a penalty is or not. they usually throw the flag based on the veracity of the hit, and there is no question that they are quick with the flag when the steelers are the ones doing the hitting.

they should go to the college rule where all plays are reviewed and if there is a question then they can call down and stop play...but they have to have some sort of time limit. if you can't look at a play a decide whether the play is good or no good then just go with the call on the field.

as far as helmet to helmet hits are concerned, i could be on board with this too. again, the officials aren't sure what to call, so they call on reputation more than actual evidence. a 30 second review can elicit whether ryan clark lead with his helmet or not on dickerson...he didn't but helmets are gonna collide. same goes with lewis's hit on hines..it wouldn't take 30 seconds to determine that ray lead with his helmet and hit hines in the head, not hines ducking his head into contact.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

I think a coach should be able to throw a flag on a ref, or a brick at him!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    I think a coach should be able to throw a flag on a ref, or a brick at him!!
    make sure BA is close by...just in case aim is a little off.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Raleigh Steel View Post
    make sure BA is close by...just in case aim is a little off.
    Oh man that would be great! Tom Cable would of beat his *** by now!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

I like the idea of it being automatically reviewed, like TDs. That way we know someone is looking at it upstairs and if it's a questionable hit, then the refs can look at it a little more in-depth. With all the fines going on, it would certainly benefit the players. The only thing is I don't know that even the refs know what Goodell and his bad of cowards are considering an "illegal" hit.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

My Mood
    Addicted
    The game happens so fast in front of the officials they are bound to make mistakes. I don't mind TDs being reviewed. I don't mind catches and such being reviewed. But you have to draw the line somewhere or you might as well not have officials on the field. With that said, I see no problem with an official getting a play correct during any review that is allowed now. Coach challenges a catch and official sees a penalty then he can call that. Just can't have a millions reasons to have a review though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Thread Information