Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defense finally with some turnovers

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Defense finally with some turnovers

Lawrence Timmons and Will Gay both came up with HUGE interceptions today. Gay's pick was perfect timing late in the game with about 2 minutes to go and the Bengals down by 7. He simply stepped up in front of the pass and made a great break on the ball. The pass from Andy Dalton wasn't a poorly thrown pass, mechanics wise, but it was ill advised because Gay was making a bee line on the pattern.

Timmons finished with 4 total Tackles and the pick. He's back at home in the middle where's he is most effective against both the run and pass. With the constant rotation of Farrior and Foote in the middle you like to see the constant there with Timmons back where he belongs. You can also credit Gay partially for the Timmons INT because he knocked the ball away and right into 94's hands.

Overall that's what you want to see, that's what we're used to seeing from Blitzburgh. With the game on the line you come up with a play that saves the day. Gay has had a good game today credited with 3 tackles and the INT. He also defensed a few passes as well.

Being behind the 8 ball in takeaways since week 1 they will be hard pressed to try and pull even let alone get on the plus side of the giveaway/takeaway but regardless today they have 2 and on a day when they couldn't afford to lose another divisional game.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 11-13-2011 at 06:59 PM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Green touchdown in the first quarter where he split double coverage between Troy Polamalu & Ryan Clark should have been picked off too. It looked like Troy had a beat on it but he though Clark was going to be able to make a play and neither of them were able to come down with it.

Gay is starting to get back use to that side. I can't tell you the last time a Steelers corner has broke on a ball. It's like their all scared, thats the one thing I liked about Gay his rookie year. If he saw it he went with it, the shuffling from nickel to starter hurt his confidence and he never got comfortable at a spot.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

My Mood
    Pissedoff
    About damn time we got some turnovers our way for a change.
    It's been real weird this season so far in the turnover department.

My Mood
    Addicted
    My Dad was texting me updates on the game, and at the end I asked him who had the two ints. When he told me Timmons and Gay I was like Hopefully it's a sign of things to come, but they'll need to do more than get 2 interceptions in one game to prove that there's going to be a turnaround on defense.

They needed to do something they sucked most of the day making Dalton look like Peyton Manning!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    2 INT's all year long and 2 more today. Now is the time to get on a roll and get some turnovers in bunches. The schedule is very favorable going forward for the defense to get some more turnovers so I fully expect them to make more plays the rest of the way out.

My Mood
    Mellow
    when timmons got the pick i texted my buddy saying that was the first turnover since jack ham intercepted brian sipe.

and then willie gay making a huge play when we needed it most. maybe, just maybe, this will get our defense rolling with turnovers!
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

Look how many interceptions they keep dropping. Taylor really had a move on one and couldn't come up with it.

Odds are good they start making some of these in bunches, especially with the competition level getting a bit lower down the stretch.
    Host of Power Pregame and Panther Primer on TribLive Radio
    Contributing Writer for Pittsburgh Sporting News
    Owner of "The Voice Says...." Blog
    Follow me on Twitter: @SteelCityVoice
    "Like" My Sports Page on Facebook

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If they actually caught every interception they almost had we'd be a plus 5 or 8 atleast so far this season. Every game Troy or Ike has atleast 1 in their hands that they can't come up with.

It was refreshing today though to see them step up and be counted on and come through.

Thread Information