Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin's full statement regarding Ryan Clark's fine

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Tomlin's full statement regarding Ryan Clark's fine

“I think the fine that Ryan Clark received was excessive. I am a proponent of player safety and the league’s pursuit of improvement in this area. I, like the vast majority of people in this industry, witness daily the steep price that these young men pay to play this game on so many levels. Ryan has my full support if he chooses to appeal this in any way.”

-Mike Tomlin
    As usual, Mike cuts right to the point. The player safety issue that has taken the league in a direction in which it seemingly can’t find a consistent basis in which to determine fine-able hits is starting to unravel the edges of the integrity of the game.
    There also seems to be a lot of leeway in the assigning of fine values, such as using the verbage “repeat offender” to kick in the escalation of fines instead of acknowledging a player’s attempt to fly right and make a hit within the bounds of the rules and arguably coming up a little short by the new standards.
    How does Ryan warrant a double dose as compared to a guy that although he’s on the list for the first time, knocks a guy out of the game? The last time i looked, Ravens TE Ed Dixon got up and walked away from Clark’s hit and Hines Ward checked into la-la land.

Notice that Mike Tomlin did not say Ryan shouldn’t be fined. He said it was excessive. Like as in the case of a player trying to play within the mandates being set down, and still trying to be what he is. A professional football player.

I understand that repeat offenders who demonstrate an unwillingness to get with the program should be assigned escalating fines. Deliberate unabashed attempts to flagrantly violate league mandates are one thing. Trying to perform within the rules and still play football appear to be at diametrically opposite ends of the spectrum at this point in time.

What’s next? Are we going to see fines in the future for holding? That’s against the rules too. You want to talk about repeat offenders, there’s a whole bunch of them in the NFL.

You can walk through Ryan’s hit frame by frame on video. What you see is a guy trying to time up a hit on a guy at game speed not lead with his head but his shoulder, aim for the mid-section not the head, run through not launch. At game speed, not super slo-motion.

Yeah, you got some incidental head contact, which was by comparison your average driver getting into a fender bender while avoiding a major head-on collision. This is analagous to a kindergardener being sent home from school for packing a squirt gun in his back pack in a “zero-tolerance” school zone.

Ryan’s hit lined up with the new NFL safety guidelines as well as you can in real-time. But if you feel you got to, i can see an argument for a reasonable fine.
    But $40,000? C’mon, get serious. Again, the NFL demonstrates common sense is lacking here folks.

Courtesy of our friend, Craig Wolfley

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The last time I checked, Art Shell and Merton Hanks were the 2 guys in charge of fine reviews, player appeals, etc. Both of whom ultimately report to Roger Goodell.

There's a chance that the fine may be reduced, it's happened from time to time. Hopefully the fact that Tomlin is backing him and Clark is making such a big deal about it will hopefully get it reduced.

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Very good ponts. Incidental and flagrant are words that are thrown around but apparently are just for decoration...

My Mood
    Addicted
    If there's one thing I like about Tomlin, it's that he always sticks up for his players.

Great professional response, like always, from Tomlin.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

My Mood
    Sunshine
    On another note, I just read James Harrison wasn't fined for the hit on Ray Rice.

For some reason I'm unable to paste the link but it was on Fox sports.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

My Mood
    Chatty
    Love it!! Im hoping if the coaches give more push back on Goodell the fines will minimize a bit....its getting way too excessive!! Love the support!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

The other thing, and I HATE to keep revisiting this, but Ray Lewis led with the top of his helmet at Hines, where Clark led with his shoulder but his helmet made contact with Dickson's facemask.

It is what it is, but it is good to know like you say that Tomlin has the back of each of his players.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    The other thing, and I HATE to keep revisiting this, but Ray Lewis led with the top of his helmet at Hines, where Clark led with his shoulder but his helmet made contact with Dickson's facemask.

It is what it is, but it is good to know like you say that Tomlin has the back of each of his players.
    another thing too, clark wasfined more for being a "repeat offender" HOWEVER, i can recall ray ray being flagged and fined at least TWICE off of the top of my head for helmet to helmet hits. the 2 i can remember are from 2009, his hit on ochostinko in cincy and his hit on austin collie in indy during the playoffs. HOW IS THAT NOT A REPEAT OFFENDER!?!?!?!?

My Mood
    Addicted
    This is analagous to a kindergardener being sent home from school for packing a squirt gun in his back pack in a “zero-tolerance” school zone.
    That was a perfect comparison.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united steeler nation.
    And to the franchise for which it stands. One nation of domination
    With the ability to crush you all.

Thread Information