Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers/Ravens rivalry or Steelers/Raiders?

Bookmark and Share

Steelers/Ravens rivalry or Steelers/Raiders?

I truly get up for the Raven, Steeler games but looking back I still think the Raider Steeler games were much more physical would you guys agree

My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I truly get up for the Raven, Steeler games but looking back I still think the Raider Steeler games were much more physical would you guys agree
    if they were its only because of the rule differences. i mean blount had a rule named after him because of his physical style of cornering. the game just isnt the same game anymore. as it stands the ravens v steeler games are as physical as you youll find in the modern nfl.

Goodell would of had a fine fest during those games, I often go to you tube just to watch some of them games

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Even though the 70s were a different era in football and the Steelers vs Raiders was certainly as violent as it gets; I would say Steelers vs Ravens is pretty close.

As early as just a couple years ago the hits that we've seen being dished out by Harrison, Woodley, Ward, Clark, Polamalu, Farrior, Suggs, Reed, Lewis, are about as good as it gets. Today those hits would be flagged, fined, and probably get you suspended. How far we have fallen in just 2 short years in disturbing and disappointing.

I would say that the Steelers of the 70's era would be proud to have their modern day counterparts fight it out with a physcial rivalry similar to what they did.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    There's no question that these rivalries have some amazing similarities and as was pointed out, the rules now make things a little different, but the intensity is the same. I would lean to the current rivalry only because we play each other twice a season.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

The Raider games were much more physical for sure. They hated each other on and off the field. You wouldn't see Joe Greene shaking hands with any Raider after the game.

Until the Ravens beat us in a playoff game I'd rank the Raiders a better rivalry. But like dad mentioned you got to give a couple extra points for the Ravens simply because we play them more often.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Yes. Because they didn't play the namby pamby pu**y ball that Goodell has instituted now. You could hit someone, hit them hard and then hit them again. Now, you can't even tackle someone without getting a flag if you're a Steeler player (same rules don't apply to other teams.)

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    I agree with SteelDad, the ratbird rivalry only becaue it is a consistent twice a year match-up. Can't take away from those raiders games though, some amazing hit were dished out and it was always all out.

Obviously, being 24, I never got to see the brutal Steeler games of the 70's live. I've seen my fair share of highlights from the era, but imo nothing today compares to the physical mentality and awesome brutality that was once the National Football League.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Imagine if the Steelers and Ravens were playing each other back in the 70's. Oh wait they were, the Cleveland Browns!! LOL.

Seriously though, the way football was in the 70's and the way the Steelers players and Ravens players are now, if they were able to really play the way they wanted too it would be an ugly affair. Even more so than it is now.

Thread Information