Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blame Can Be Spread All Over

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter

Blame Can Be Spread All Over

Offense: 1 out of 4 in the Red Zone. I don't look for this to change as it has been an issue under Arians since he took over... It really was a great play by Suggs to intercept the ball, but this falls on Ben and Arians. When you constantly throw WR screens as often as we do, teams will start coaching their DEs/LBs to look for it and that's what Suggs did... Gotta find ways to get Mike Wallace more touches than that. Huge failure there.

Defense: 3rd Downs. Enough said... 92 yard drive. Enough said... Ryan Clark's poor play to end the game should not have surprised anyone. Go back to last year's games against Baltimore and you'll see they picked on him in the same way. One of the simplest rules to follow in football, don't let anyone behind you. It's not a difficult concept. Same goes for you Ike Taylor and William Gay.

Coaching: Twice in the same season, the coaches were out-schemed by the Ravens and the players executed better than we did. Look no further than how poor our secondary looked. Ravens constantly had answers on 3rd downs and that is a result of game-planning and knowing the defense's tendencies in those situations.

Officiating: I'm not blaming the refs, but they were not a secondary issue to the game which they should always be. Constant holding in the secondary. Mike Wallace and AB's jerseys have more fingerprints on them than a crime scene... Many holds on rushing linemen... Won't even get started on the helmet-to-helmet crap.

Overall a very disappointing Sunday night. We are looking at a Wild Card plain and simple because I just don't see us catching Baltimore with the schedules remaining for each. The good news? I hope to god we are healthy going into the playoffs and we get to go to Baltimore.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

This loss is IMO as bad as losing the SB for me personally. I woke up this morning horse from scream FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF all game long!

Just get off the fn field on 3rd down and we win, NOPE!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Devilish
    much better.

there were issues all over the field, you cant really point to one thing and say "that lost the game" because better execution in any of the other areas would have done the trick.

the opening post gets a big fat in my book.

There are three things that I place blame on:

First: The defense allowing Baltimore to move down field and get a FG at the end of the first half. Three points turned out to have some meaning in this one and the defense couldn't hold them. It would be a sign of things to come.

Second: Ben's interception. Had Ben not thrown that pick, you would think the Steelers could have made a field goal; who knows, maybe they would have taken more time off the clock, putting more pressure on Flacco and company at the end of the game.

Third: The last minute stand, or lack thereof. This team typically thinks of itself as a defensive powerhouse; not right now. Giving up a 92 yard drive like that was very poor.

Obviously, the Ravens can say the same; that they made mistakes that cost them some points. These are just the biggest mistakes the Steelers made in the game and as it seems to go this year, the Steelers made several and the opponent didn't match them.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I put that interception squarely on Ben. I know we run a ton of WR screens but watching that play over and over Ben just didn't look before he threw it. If you're going to throw a timing pattern like that you have to take a split second and make sure nobody is going to jump the route. I know he wants to get the ball out of his hands quickly, and that's great, but you can't just throw it out there especially when Suggs was lined up that far off.

Maybe he was trying to disguise the play by not looking that way before the snap, but either way credit Suggs as much as you want but blame Ben as well.

You all are absolutely correct. There's plenty of blame and other than the refs I think you all hit most of them. It's like this team is Jekyll & Hyde.

The way this season has gone thru out the league it wouldn't surprise me to see us catch the Ravens. If not anything can happen in the playoffs. Other than Green Bay there's really no team that is better than us if we play our game.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by SteelDad View Post
    Offense: 1 out of 4 in the Red Zone. I don't look for this to change as it has been an issue under Arians since he took over... It really was a great play by Suggs to intercept the ball, but this falls on Ben and Arians. When you constantly throw WR screens as often as we do, teams will start coaching their DEs/LBs to look for it and that's what Suggs did... Gotta find ways to get Mike Wallace more touches than that. Huge failure there.

Defense: 3rd Downs. Enough said... 92 yard drive. Enough said... Ryan Clark's poor play to end the game should not have surprised anyone. Go back to last year's games against Baltimore and you'll see they picked on him in the same way. One of the simplest rules to follow in football, don't let anyone behind you. It's not a difficult concept. Same goes for you Ike Taylor and William Gay.

Coaching: Twice in the same season, the coaches were out-schemed by the Ravens and the players executed better than we did. Look no further than how poor our secondary looked. Ravens constantly had answers on 3rd downs and that is a result of game-planning and knowing the defense's tendencies in those situations.

Officiating: I'm not blaming the refs, but they were not a secondary issue to the game which they should always be. Constant holding in the secondary. Mike Wallace and AB's jerseys have more fingerprints on them than a crime scene... Many holds on rushing linemen... Won't even get started on the helmet-to-helmet crap.

Overall a very disappointing Sunday night. We are looking at a Wild Card plain and simple because I just don't see us catching Baltimore with the schedules remaining for each. The good news? I hope to god we are healthy going into the playoffs and we get to go to Baltimore.
    +Absolutely agree with your take on the game. 92 yds from the 8 yd line and our defense stunk to high heaven in general and Gay, Clark & Taylor in particular! Taylor could not defend against Boldin. Without a doubt in my mind, we should have won the game. Even with Harrison's three sacks, the Ravens protected Flacco quite well. Also, the refs could have and should called offensive interference on Torrey Smith as he was pushing off on Gay. Sorry, but there is no excuse for losing this one.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    You all are absolutely correct. There's plenty of blame and other than the refs I think you all hit most of them. It's like this team is Jekyll & Hyde.

The way this season has gone thru out the league it wouldn't surprise me to see us catch the Ravens. If not anything can happen in the playoffs. Other than Green Bay there's really no team that is better than us if we play our game.
    Well, that's the final word on this game for me. Agree wth you 100%. Steelers just need to eliminate the 1 or 2 plays that cause them the game or a scoring opportunity. Whether it the int with Suggs or the BS roughing call on Clark (on 3rd down) to help the rats get in FG range before the half, Steelers need to eliminate the stupid stuff.

Starter
    My Mood
    Clowns
    I think the ben Int. was the turning point.Terrible play. He did that once before this year vs tennessee. Inexcuseable!.Lucky Suggs didn't return it for a td. What do those plays accomplish? A two yard screen to Ward? wtf?Bruce Arians ball!
    Cleveland Browns suck!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    They fortunately recovered from that interception though and drove down the field again. They missed out on a golden opportunity for atleast a FG that would have put this game on ice. In some ways I can see it being the turning point but the defense has no business giving up a 92 yd TD drive in 2 minutes, that was the end all be all.

Thread Information