Thread: Lawsuits are you kidding me?

Bookmark and Share
    Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar

Lawsuits are you kidding me?

Pittsburgh Steelers
    Student razzed about Denver football jersey sues school district

Wednesday, January 17, 2007
    By Tim Grant, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

One year after Joshua Vannoy made headlines for wearing a Denver Broncos jersey to school and was humiliated by his teacher because of it, the student has filed a lawsuit alleging that his rights were violated by staff and administrators in Big Beaver Falls Area School District.

Mr. Vannoy, 18, who has since moved to a high school in Lawrence County for his senior year, filed a civil action against his former school district, the high school principal, Thomas Karczewski, and his former teacher, John Kelly.

The lawsuit alleges that Mr. Kelly became abusive with Mr. Vannoy on Jan. 20, 2006, when Mr. Vannoy wore a No. 7 John Elway Broncos jersey to the Beaver County school two days before the AFC championship game between the Steelers and Denver Broncos.

When Mr. Vannoy showed up for Mr. Kelly's honors class in ethnic relations that day to take his 11th-grade midterm exam, Mr. Kelly ordered Mr. Vannoy to squat on the floor and instructed other students to wad up notebook paper and "throw it at the stinking Denver fan."

He was forced to complete his midterm on the floor.

"Plaintiff at this time was confused, upset, embarrassed and humiliated," the suit said, adding that "he was unable to leave the classroom because that would mean detention on Saturday."

Later that day, when Mr. Vannoy met with the school principal, Mr. Karczewski, to report what had happened, his reply was, "What do you want me to do about it?" the lawsuit says.

Media coverage of the incident led to threats from other students. Mr. Vannoy, an honors student with a 3.8 grade point average, missed four days of school out of concern for his safety.

Mr. Vannoy and his family had to uproot their lives and move "so as to be able to attend a different school district where he would be able to enjoy his senior year of high school free from fear of retaliation or ridicule from other students," the lawsuit says.

Donna Nugent, superintendent of Big Beaver Falls Area School District, said she had not been served with the lawsuit and could not comment on it.

Nick Frisk III, who represents Mr. Vannoy, said neither he nor the family will comment until a later date.

The suit asserts that Mr. Vannoy's jersey did not violate the school's dress code. Football jerseys had not been banned by either the administration or the school board and are not considered "disruptive of the education process."

Mr. Vannoy is seeking a declaration that the defendants violated his rights; damages in excess of $25,000; punitive damages against the individual defendants and attorney fees and court costs.

(Tim Grant can be reached at tgrant@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1591. )

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

House of Steel
    I would of piledrive him into a locker if I seen him walking around with that on.

This is the problem with people today.... everyone wants to sue somebody for poking fun and joking around... ridiculous!

This was an ethics class.......something tells me that we are not getting the full story at all here.

From what I can surmise, this kid has poor social skills, is a concrete thinker, does not completely think through his decisions and the consequences that may come from them, wallows in self-pity, and corrupt in that he is now attempting to exploit the system for monetary gain. Unless this kid rides the extra-extra-extra short bus to school every morning he would know that wearing a Broncos jersey in the heart of Steeler Nation 3 DAYS before the AFC Championship game for the Steelers against the Broncos would irritate and annoy 99% of those around him in school. Again, considering that this all occurred in an ethics class of all places there is a very good possibility that the teacher was making a point more than just to humiliate the student. Since discrimination is often a part of ethics and this student was a vast minority the teacher's point could be made very easily, and considering the teacher seemed to have done this without prior permission or consideration it can be thought that the maybe the student was not very well liked. Again, since I'm sure 99% of his classmates were angry at him they had no problem throwing things at him, and from how it sounds the event might have come to pass in a similar fashion even if football was not involved. The response the principal gave was expected. What the hell was the principal supposed to do? The event had already taken place. The most the principal could truly do was talk to the teacher and then maybe sent note to the district office and/or school board....but even then I doubt, especially in a public school system, that anything more would have come of it.

All in all this kid sounds like a frail, sheltered, pampered lil child who is trying to exploit the system and cheat his former-classmates and neighbors out of their tax and education dollars because he wasn't man enough to handle the consequences after he decided to instigate dishing it out. If I was the kid's parent I may want to talk to the teacher personally before severe action was taken (side note: it took a year to file the suit? again seems fishy to me) and prolly woulda told my kid what I said above...."don't dish it out if you can't handle it when it's throw right back at you." Man up lil boy....in 5 months you're supposed to graduate from high school.....but it sounds like to me your *** should still be in diapers and a crib from all the b*tching and crying you are doing. Next time at least be smart....if you want to attend Ohio State for college don't show up on the first day wearing a Michigan jersey.

BuFu

My Mood
    Amazed

Wink

Everyone has a rght to root for whomever you want but you better be able to hold your own when wearing a jersey that 99% of the people are against. You still have the right and you should not be (if that is the truth) forced to sit on the floor and take an exam while other students are thowing paper at you (IF, and it is a BIG IF, that is really what happened).
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

House of Steel
    Bufu, he pulls that **** at Ohio State, he will be murdered.

SA Member #27
    My Mood
    seahawks-hater
    Beaver County schools suck. I'm not even going to explain what s*it I went through.

House of Steel
    You think Beaver County schools are bad, Stevie, you wouldn't imagine the damn hell I went through in Brooke County, West Virginia. I had a damn witch for a teacher and found out she was the principal. If something was wrong, I was the blame. I can't tell you how many times she just ****ing razed me for no reason and I almost got expelled but my mom and dad found out what the hell was going on. Luckily enough, I got pulled out of those schools and went to Wheeling Park School District eventhough my mother had to drive me there.

Thread Information