Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major changes could take place if Tomlin is hired

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Major changes could take place if Tomlin is hired

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07017/754295-66.stm

Tony Dungy learned his craft playing for the Steelers in the 1970s and as the NFL's youngest defensive coordinator in the 1980s. What developed from that was the famed Tampa Bay Cover-2 defense, which right now has helped Dungy's Indianapolis Colts reach the AFC championship game.

Yesterday, Steelers officials interviewed a devotee of that defense who possibly could be their next head coach. Mike Tomlin learned it at the knee of Dungy, who learned it at the knee of Chuck Noll and his defensive staff.

"If you listen to coach Dungy, he'll remind you of that," Tomlin said after he finished his second interview with the Steelers, which lasted about 3 1/2 hours and stretched into the early evening. "A lot of people refer to it as Tampa 2, and he's always one to cite his sources. He reminds you of that."

Tomlin was the first of three finalists interviewed for the second time. Next up: Russ Grimm, the Steelers' assistant head coach and offensive line coach. He will have his second interview today. Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, the other finalist, cannot be interviewed again until his team's season ends, either Sunday or in the Super Bowl Feb. 4.

Wholesale changes could be made to a team 11 months removed from a Super Bowl championship if Tomlin is hired as its head coach.

Tomlin has coached the 4-3 defense in Minnesota, relying heavily on that Cover-2 philosophy he learned under Dungy at Tampa Bay. The Steelers have run the 3-4 defense since 1983, when Chuck Noll abandoned the four-man front that became famous as the Steel Curtain in the 1970s.

Bill Cowher kept the 3-4, although in a different form, after he was hired as coach in 1992.

"I think it would be premature for me to comment specifically on personnel or personnel issues. I'd like to get the job first," Tomlin said.

But he did say he's not tied to one defense, that he prefers to put the players in whatever system he feels best suits them.

"I'm a fundamentalist as opposed to scheme. I think football is a tough-man's game, it's an attrition game. You win by stopping the run and being able to run the ball effectively-- and doing the things winners do, being a detailed-oriented football team, playing with great passion and executing."

It's unknown what would become of someone such as defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, the Steelers' zone-blitz impresario, under a Tomlin regime.

All the Steelers' assistant coaches are under contract, and many of them likely would remain in place if Grimm were hired. Tomlin, though, might want to bring his own coaches with him.
    This article refers to some of the same ones that Deisel posted up, but it shows some more points as well.

He seems open to alot of ideas but he also seems pretty set in his ways in certain things if you ask me. He's a product of Dungy who's ran the same defense in Tampa that he runs in Indy now. The apple doesnt fall far from the tree.

I may be the only one on here that worries about a coach from the outside coming in and making a bunch of changes to the defense that don't need changed. Im not worried so much about the offense because he seems to be in the same realm that we are in that thinking; you run the ball first and that's what we do so thats cool.

Having a defensive coach come in here just begs for trouble if you ask me because our defense doesn't need fixed, we just need our players to play better which is what Dan Rooney referred too after the Ratbird game in December. Im not opposed to him being hired, but it does concern me some that we could end up rebuilding after this is all said and done and that would just flat out suck.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    I may be the only one on here that worries about a coach from the outside coming in and making a bunch of changes to the defense that don't need changed.
    You're not the only one worried about someone changing our D bro. We are setup for the 3-4 with personel. Theres not that much success in changing over in the first few years. The Brownies converted over from a 4-3 two years ago(granted it would help if they knew what the hell they were doing...ever) and still haven't got the hang of it. The Steelers have always been known for their bonecrunching D especially in the 3-4. If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Just to piggy back on our thoughts, I would hope if tomlin does get the gig that he realizes what this team is built for and what we've had success with. We've built this defense through the draft over the years to be what it is now and when it's firing on all cylinders it's nearly flawless. The players we have can do the job, they did it in 2005, and they didnt suddenly get worse in 2006, we just had a bad year with injuries and our secondary not playing up to par but overall I don't want us going to a 4-3, we are the 3-4 and we kick *** at it.

I don't know, just something about Tomlin worries me alot more than Grimm, the same could probably be said for Rivera if we ever get a 2nd interview with him.

House of Steel
    If Tomlin gets hired and changes that defense around, I am going to be mighty pissed. You can't come from the outside and change a system that has been the definition of the Steelers from the start. YOU CAN'T TAKE AWAY THE BLITZBURGH DEFENSIVE STYLE. LeBeau would be shocked if this was to happen. I feel if someone tampers with this team, I am never going to feel the same ever again cause then only then will I have some hard feelings for the organization and the Rooneys for hiring such a damn fool.

If it ain't broke don't try and fix it!!!! Yeah the secondary was a little weak last year but this coming year they should be flat out awesome! This is kind of arrogant of Tomlin to be speaking of this stuff like he already has the job He just fell to the bottom of my list!

My Mood
    Chatty
    All of this makes me extremely nervous. I hate to see someone coming in and messing everything up..We are getting rookies where we want them, defense looks great..it seems Tomlin wants to come in a overhaul! Btw, who is the other candidate who can't interview until SB is over? I'm curious!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Don't you think Tomlin is smart enough to know the Steelers are built for the 3-4? I think he does. Maybe he just wants to put alittle of the cover2 mixed in with our 3-4/Blitzburgh.

SA Member #27
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Major changes like getting rid of the gay futura font numbers, getting block numbers back, getting a yellow jersey, and getting black pants?

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    The Rooneys took Tomlin to the pens game last night.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    They usually do take 2nd interview'd coaches out to some event.

Thread Information