Thread: Lack of turnovers is starting to cost this team

Bookmark and Share

Lack of turnovers is starting to cost this team

There is a lot of different factors which could, and rightfully should, be said about this team and the lose against the Ravens yesterday. Yes, Steelers played horrible defense on third down. Yes, the red-zone offense is terrible. No, the officiating crew was not at all on Steelers side. Yet the overshadowing factor, for me at least, is that we just don't win the turnover battle (same could be said all year. Coming into this game the Steelers have a -10 point differential, and was the 4th team ever to have won 6 games with only 3 take aways over a 8 game timespan. Let me say that again for the dramatic effect: 3 F****** turnovers in 8 games!

Against the Ravens we did get a fumble recovery which was great but we fail, again, to win the turnover battle. The turnovers is what have caused us to win games against Ravens in the past. Troy strips the ball; Harrison strips the ball; Troy gets an interception; Clark gets an interception and so on... And it is not only the points which a turnover might produce. There is also momentum which you have to take into account. The defense just don't get many plays to get really pumped over. Yes, a sack is great but it does not have the same game-changing impact a turnover gives you.

While all of this is rather obvious and not exactly groundbreaking football knowledge, I will say this though: If we don't start generating turnovers, this team is not going to sniff the playoffs this year, let alone the Superbowl. There is just far to many great teams, such as the Ravens, who'll punish us if we don't.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Veteran
    They said last night that 3 take aways in 8 games was the fewest ever.

My Mood
    Addicted
    It's not even that the defense isn't getting opportunities for a turnover. They're getting their chances, they just aren't making the big plays. I recall a few chances for interceptions last night that weren't made, and I agree with you, I think that's the one difference between the past years defense and this years defense. With the exception of Wood and Harrison, there don't seem to be any play makers on defense.

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    hell if we could have gotten the fumble on the kickoff?????? i know should a could a would a

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The defense for whatever reason is just not getting the turnovers we are used to seeing. Ike doesn't get thrown too that much but even then he isn't known for making the int. I'll take his pass defense skills any day though.

It's been a very odd season for the Steelers defense, they have a high ranking overall but their play has been mired in injuries and giving up big plays at the worst time, poor 3rd down defense, and too many dumb penalties. They've been behind the 8 ball since week 1 when they were a -7, not being able to recover since. You keep waiting for them to have a breakout game where they force 3 or 4 turnovers, and while it could still happen, it's not as likely as you'd normally think.

Troy has had 5 drops this year...

Clark, Foote both needed to come down with those INT's last night, but they didn't.

Dalton will open the flood gates this weekend..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Say what you will, but luck, polarity, mojo, whatever you want to call it, it plays a role in winning and losing. For the Steelers defense, there isn't much going their way. I don't know what it is, but if a ball deflects to the right, there's a guy that runs to the left; that's how it is. They really need to get a game or two where the turnover ratio starts to improve in order to gain confidence.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Still gotta make a stop with 92 yards to go in your own stadium and 1 timeout and Joe Squats to Pee Flacco running the other team...

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Our high ranking defense is decieving. Hell the browns are highly ranked and so are ratbirds and bungles, we all play the weakest schedule. So bottom line if you cant stop flacco on a 92 yard drive when they need a td, stats are ****

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Quote Originally Posted by Stairwayto7 View Post
    Our high ranking defense is decieving. Hell the browns are highly ranked and so are ratbirds and bungles, we all play the weakest schedule. So bottom line if you cant stop flacco on a 92 yard drive when they need a td, stats are ****
    This is why the only stats I have really given credence to have been the W/L column and turnover differential.

Look at the former best-in-league Cowboys run defense changed in a matter of weeks.

Thread Information