Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Usual Ravens vs Steelers gameplan on offense or not?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Usual Ravens vs Steelers gameplan on offense or not?

In order to beat the New England Patriots, Ben Roethlisberger threw the ball 50 times. Everyone knows that formula must be reversed against Baltimore. In order to beat the Ravens, the Steelers need to run more often and do so more successfully.
    Right?

"Ultimately, it comes down to whoever rushes better against each other is usually the winner in this series," said Steelers offensive tackle Max Starks, a veteran of the Steelers-Ravens wars but not that opening-day bloodletting this season.
    "You can look at the team that has the most rushing yards [as the one that] usually wins."

That sounds good in theory, but it's not true. The team that has piled up more yards rushing in the past two seasons, lost more often. In the five games the teams played in 2009 and '10, the team with the higher run yardage lost three of them.
    Things reverted to the kind of form generally associated with this series when Baltimore outrushed the Steelers, 170-66, in the opener and ran away with a 35-7 victory.

The Steelers, however, were running the ball reasonably well in the first half with 60 yards on 10 carries. Even though they trailed, 21-7, that ground game did well enough that they tried it again on the first play of the second half.

Ben Roethlsiberger took the snap, tried to hand off to Rashard Mendenhall and both met Haloti Ngata in the backfield. Baltimore recovered the fumble from that collision and, on the next play, Joe Flacco threw an 11-yard touchdown pass to Ray Rice. Baltimore 29, Steelers 7.

"Dang, first time we played them we were running the ball this good and then we had the miscommunication coming out of halftime," coordinator Bruce Arians recalled Thursday. "The play we ran was the same play we ran for 8 or 9 yards early -- fumble and game's over. Those are the kinds of errors we just can't have."
    It was one of seven turnovers by the Steelers that day, none for the Ravens.
    But the Steelers believe they can run Sunday night, even though they have done less and with less effectiveness against most everybody this season.

"The running game is very important," Starks said. "When you get one-dimensional and passing all over the place, that's when the game gets tough. I think our personnel matches up very well against their defensive front seven to accommodate that and establish the run in this game."

Arians said striking a balance is more important against Baltimore than merely establishing the run.

"When you play a defense as good as these guys, you can't get one dimensional on either phase," Arians said. "If you're going to try running it, they're going to stuff you. If you're going to try to throw it every down, they'll get you. They pride themselves, as we do, on their great third-down defense."

I think they'll have to use the quick pass strategy to neutralize the Ravens' pass rush. They have to make Suggs a complete LBer instead of 'one dimensional'....meaning they can't allow him to just rush the QB.

I don't think the Ravens will allow Wallace to beat them deep, so the underneath stuff should be open. They need to utilize quick passes underneath to Miller and Ward. Ben cannot afford to hold the ball and hope that Wallace gets behind the safety. He needs to take what the Ravens give him.

Also, I don't think they'll be able to effectively run the ball, so Arians will need to get creative in using the trio of Mendenhall/Redman/Moore. I think spreading them out and running draws would be good as well as using the RBs as receivers out of the backfield to aid in neutralizing the Ravens pass rush. This would force Suggs into coverage, unless the Ravens have him playing as a DE, which he does on occasion.

The biggest 'no-no' is turnovers. If Ben doesn't turn the ball over, I like their chances.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We know the Ravens will run the ball, it's what they do. That's how they keep balance and not allow the pressure of winning the game to fall on Flacco's hands.

Will the Steelers really try and establish the run this week or will use a similar gameplan as the Patriots? Perhaps not throwing quite as much, but I still see them using, or IMO should be using, the short passing game as a second option to eat the clock and move the ball. Every time they've done that they've won and at the end of the day as long as you're moving the chains, eating the clock, and scoring points, it doesn't matter how you get there.

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Short, quick passes are just as effective as running to open up the deep pass game, maybe more so if done right. Either way, I just hope they are quick enough to adjust to which ever works best with the personnel on the field. Very, very pumped for this one.

I agree with you, ejsteeler. Using quick, short to intermediate passes should be part of the game plan. In the first meeting, Ben didn't have a chance to stand in the pocket. To keep the defense honest, the quick plays must be incorporated. Once you soften up the play of the linebackers, then you can do more. Until then, keep Ben upright and maintain possession.

My Mood
    Mellow
    at this point, i'm sooooo ready for this game that i'm tired of talking about it! sunday night feels like a month away...draw the lines and kick the ball off...I'M READY!!!!!!
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

They also need to run the 'no huddle' offense. Ben is at his best when running the no huddle....

Take care of the football on offense, convert 3rd downs, stay out of 3rd and long. get of the field on 3rd down, pressure flacco up the middle, hit rice low and hard, take away his cutback lanes. no emotional penalties.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Forget the running game in Ben We Trust.....I'm all for Ben winging the ball 50 times again........Don't turn the ball over and score TD's in the red zone will be key for the Steelers......The Steelers defense will have to shut down Ray Rice....Flacco can't win a game throwing the ball........

Like last week, you have to run the ball and accept possibly 25-30 total carries for about 90 yards. Can't do it on every 1st down and expect to have success.

Thread Information