Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ravens cheap chop blocking methods..

Bookmark and Share
    The only person we need to worry about is Rice like BG said. The ravens will not beat us with Boldin or any other receiver on that team. We need to just take out rice and we should win big.

My Mood
    Manic
    The best Defense for Rice is to keep the offence on the field

what someone needs to do is fake stumble when getting chopped and step on someones neck or arm to make them think about doing it again. Might sound rough, but thats prob what jack lambert would do lol

My Mood
    Breezy
    I think that once they keep doing the choppingon our lineman, our LB's will read the play and fill thoose damn holes that they leave open. another thing that thoose chop blocks do is disable the O-Line man from a Downfield Block, so they are really taking themselves out of the play and alowwing the clean up crew to do some serious damge to the Ravens backfield

Rookie Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    They may be cheap, but they are legal.

I'm still surprised about that, since you can't even tackle a receiver coming over the middle anymore, but they are allowed to chop your knees when someone else has your shoulders.
    Exactly. It's all about money really. Colts ticket sales are down 35% this season with Peyton Manning out. The NFL is losing money because of his injury so they try to protect their babies. They don't care about defensive lineman. They want to keep the primetime players in the games so they can make money.
    Anyone see that perfectly legal hit Ray Lewis threw on OchoCinco in 2009 at Baltimore? Got fined 15K.
    http://www.FromThisSeat.com/index.ph...burgh-steelers
    "Tell Us About Your Seats at Heinz Field"

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    The whole Steelers organazation has been quietly fuming about the Ravens. I'd bet my next check that they have something in store for the Ravens.

Revenge is a dish best served ice cold!
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Veteran
    We should chop the hell out of Suggs this game. If they can do it to us, we should do it to them. Would be amuzing to hear Suggs cry about it on Monday morning.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Ravens gained 170 yards rushing in the season opener, the most the Steelers have allowed in 20 games. Some of the Steelers players said after the game there was a reason for it, a dirty one in fact.

Several of the Steelers' defensive linemen accused the Ravens of using illegal tactics, particularly guard Marshal Yanda, with their cut blocks. The Steelers' Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith and Chris Hoke made headlines when they said it was "questionable rules-wise" on how the Ravens' offensive linemen repeatedly went for their knees.

In a conference call this week with Baltimore reporters, Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin told ESPN.com's AFC North blog that the Steelers don't have a problem with the Ravens' tactics heading into Sunday night's showdown.

“The Steelers have never had an issue with that," Tomlin said. "Maybe it was some individuals that were misinformed and stated otherwise. But as an organization and football team, we’ve never had an issue with the techniques that they utilized in that game.”

Ravens coach John Harbaugh vehemently defended his players after that game and again this week. The Ravens have never been flagged for an illegal block this season because they don't hit a defender's knee while he is engaged with another blocker (that's called a chop block).

Harbaugh reiterated this week that the Ravens aren't violating the rules and don't plan to change their blocking style Sunday.

"You know, a lot of teams do that," Harbaugh said. "That’s how people block. They’ve done a pretty good job of defending those schemes since, so … We haven’t changed anything.”

Yanda took offense to being called a dirty player.

"I was blocking within the rules," he said this week. "They can say whatever they want. I didn't get fined or a flag for it. I'm not going to go at a guy's knee to get him hurt. I've had a knee injury and I would never do that to a player. That's horrible."
    From ESPN

I don't care what anyone says, we saw Hampton get his knees taken out several times in the game. When you have a guy engaged and you have another guy go after his knees in just the right way it won't get called but it's still not right.

It may not be the most ethical style of play; however, it is legal and teams have used it for quite a while. The Steelers must adapt or suffer and I believe a four man front, as alluded to by Tomlin, may help.

Still, what if the Steelers give the Ravens a taste of their own medicine? Apparently, Ngata is hurting. How about Pouncey takes him high and Starks goes low? If he blows out a knee, that's fine, right? It's in the rulebook, so it must be okay.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Casey Hampton was shocked by the first play of the game when the Steelers played at Baltimore in Week 1.

No, not that Ray Rice broke off the longest run against the Steelers' defense in more than two years, but that he found himself lying on his back mere seconds after he engaged with center Matt Birk.

Hampton was cut to the ground by backside guard Marshal Yanda, leaving a gaping hole for Rice to tear off a tone-setting, 36-yard run.

Hampton had his legs cut out from under him by Yanda nine more times during the Ravens' 35-7 win. Those blocks helped Baltimore rush for a season-high 170 yards, and Rice's 107-yard day was the first time the Steelers had given up 100 or more yards on the ground in more than 50 games.

"We didn't expect them to do it, that's for sure" Steelers linebacker James Farrior said. "We didn't see it in tape in the past. We weren't prepared for it a little bit."
    Hampton admits that he wasn't ready for Baltimore's blocking scheme in Week 1, but he will be expecting it when the two teams meet Sunday at Heinz Field.
    "I think I am a little more prepared," Hampton said. "I am a lot more prepared than I was last time. I haven't seen them do that against a whole lot of people besides us."
    Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau isn't concerned about the success the Ravens had getting Hampton off his feet in Week 1. He said Hampton will adjust.
    "I am sure he knows that is what they are going to try to do to him," LeBeau said. "They will do the same thing again. They will cut you on the backside, I promise you that."

Against Arizona last week, the Ravens used Yanda to cut on the backside only a handful of times — or at least not nearly as much as they did against the Steelers.
    Baltimore feels the only way you can run on the Steelers is if you eliminate Hampton.
    "It is something that you have to see over and over again, and once you get used to it, you can deal with it," Steelers backup nose tackle Chris Hoke said. "We faced that the entire next month with that cut-blocking stuff after that game."

The Ravens success — 96 yards on 10 cut-block plays — led to other teams trying it on the Steelers. But the defensive line, Hampton in particular, quickly adjusted. It hasn't been an issue since.
    "The first game was a teaching tool," Steelers defensive end Ziggy Hood said. "We took a lot from it and moved on and worked on it. If you know it is coming, you know how to play for it."

Beating the cut block is relatively easy, Hoke said. You just have to stay on your feet by all means necessary.

"You have to see that backside guy and pick your feet up a little bit and stay on your feet," Hoke said. "The key to shutting down the run against a zone-blocking scheme like that is that you have to stay on your feet."

Some Steelers feel the block is dangerous and should be illegal because it targets the knees. But a cut block isn't illegal; a chop block is.
    "It worked last time, so I don't see why they would do something different than they did last time," Hampton said.

Thread Information