Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4-3 plan

Bookmark and Share

4-3 plan

If the Steelers had to run a 4-3 this week (assuming Woody, Harrison, Farrior are out), what is your personnel? I don't think they will have to, but what if?

RDE: Brett
    RDT: McClendon
    LDT: Hampton
    LDE: Ziggy
    RLB: Sly / Worilds
    MLB: Foote
    LLB: LT
    CB: Ike
    CB: Lewis
    FS: Clark
    SS: Taz.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ktrain mentioned this in another thread, it's not a bad way to go if they need to break out the 43 more.

Keisel, Cam, Casey, Hood....with a mean rotation of Timmons, Sly,Foote, and Carter playing the 3 LB spots. Thats a lot of beef on the Dline, it can be very effective, especially since Keisel is relentless and Dood will be able to just rush the passer.
    I think we're jumping the gun alittle bit with all this 43 talk just yet. As it gets closer to the end of the week we'll know more about who is playing and who isn't but it's clear that there's enough guys left standing that we can play a 43 version on a regular basis if need be and pretty darn good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Ktrain mentioned this in another thread, it's not a bad way to go if they need to break out the 43 more.

I think we're jumping the gun alittle bit with all this 43 talk just yet. As it gets closer to the end of the week we'll know more about who is playing and who isn't but it's clear that there's enough guys left standing that we can play a 43 version on a regular basis if need be and pretty darn good at it.
    Mike Tomlin did mention incorporating the 4-3 and possibly 4-2 depending on the personnel available.

its very temporary, but it could be very effective...especially given the matchup

Timmons on the weak side would have him playing his natural position, if timmons was a WILL LB hed be a probower since day one.

foote played MLB for the lions, he knows the responsibilities for a MIKE in a 43, that would leave sly to play SAM and thats not a bad spot for him, especially since he beefed up in the offseason by about 25 pounds.

Keisel will stand up and play some elephant LB...hes a big, relentless player and when we drafted him we had him play ST and no one really knew if hed be a DE or an OLB for us.

I think keisel and hood should play as much as possible, all over the line, and then rotating in 2 of casey, cam, and mclendon....casey out on passing downs.

anyway the size on the dline will be very difficult to run on....id imagine we see more of troy in the box and mundy playing deep, a role hes beginning to look very comfortable in.

carter will get in on passing situations, hes just not big, stout, or experienced enough to set the edge.

worilds can die in a fire (figuratively of course) he ****ing sucks

thats just my take on how they should play...you cant play our normal defense without 3 LBs

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Mike Tomlin did mention incorporating the 4-3 and possibly 4-2 depending on the personnel available.
    Oh no question about it, depending on who is available they are going to have to do something. There just isn't enough healthy bodies to play their normal defense and have any type of rotation.

I'm just waiting to see how Woodley is this week and then we'll get a better sense of how much they may need to break out other designs on defense.

At least we have the element of surprise. Ravens don't know who is playing, who isn't, and what type of D we will put out there.

im pretty sure woodley is gonna sit

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    He also suggested they will not look outside of their team for help, such as signing a free-agent linebacker. They have no linebackers left on their practice squad after signing Mortty Ivy from there Saturday. He said they still have flexibility on defense.
    "We might be capable of playing with four defensive linemen," Tomlin said. "We are not going to leave anything out. What we do know is that our answers generally are in-house. So, if we are out of in-house linebackers, then some of those answers might have to be in the D-line."
    They have several options available:
    • Versatile end Brett Keisel could move to linebacker with rookie Cameron Heyward taking his spot at end.
    • They could turn to a six-man secondary, which they used often against New England.
    • They could form a four-man line of tackles Casey Hampton and Chris Hoke/Steve McClendon and ends Keisel and Ziggy Hood and play a 4-3 defense with Foote at inside linebacker and Timmons and somebody on the outside.
    "Or 4-2," Tomlin suggested. "Or one of the many variations we have. We are very multiple defensively, usually in response to offensive packages, but, sometimes, your personnel may dictate otherwise.
    "I am just saying that, at this juncture, we are open to all potential possibilities in terms of dealing with our situations and that we are not going to go grasping at straws outside of our building in terms of addressing it."

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    "Keisel will stand up and play some elephant LB...hes a big, relentless player and when we drafted him we had him play ST and no one really knew if hed be a DE or an OLB for us."

Yup. And this is why I think we'll see a blend of 3-4, 4-3, 4-2 and even 3-3-5. The way our secondary is playing, I can envision 5 DBs on the field a lot unless Rice is gashing us. Keisel can cause some serious matchup issues if he is standing up on the edges.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Impatient
    The good news is that the Ravens have no idea how to prepare for us this week. I think Woodley should keep saying he is playing, even if he is not, and that will help keep their already struggling offense guessing.

Thread Information