Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time for Some Carnell Lake Love

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    He has been a plus so far. What impressed me yesterday was that not only did the Steelers play more mon coverage, they played man coverage very well. They didn't have to blitz all day long and still got pressure. This give opposing OC's a lot to think about.

Kudos to Carnell and LeBeau - the wizard has done it again.
    They did it against the weapons NE has. That was impressive. Lets see what this week has in store because the Rats are the opposite of NE. They just got a taste of that D in Jacksonville (and lost) but they have a week to study our game tape. They also have a much stiffer D than NE, but their O is sucking right now. We have so many injuries right now that if our secondary could perform like this, it could help nurse us to the bye week. Our second half looks promising but we have two big games coming up.

Can you believe we are talking about the Steeler DBs this way.

My Mood
    Impatient
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    Speaking of young guys where is C.Brown don't tell me Cortez has surpassed him ?
    With Brown's nagging hamstring injury, yes Allen is ahead of him right now I expect that to change as Brown is seemingly healthy. Either way, Allen doesnt look too bad out there. I am hoping that we have our CB situation under control now with the young guys and Ike.

Yes and im giving credit to LeBeau too for finally using more press man coverage

--- Added 11/1/2011 at 05:39 AM ---

Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    With Brown's nagging hamstring injury, yes Allen is ahead of him right now I expect that to change as Brown is seemingly healthy. Either way, Allen doesnt look too bad out there. I am hoping that we have our CB situation under control now with the young guys and Ike.
    I actually like Allen better than Brown at this point. His size is a plus

My Mood
    Addicted
    i said when the steelers hired carnell that if he can coach half as well as he can play our secondary will benefit greatly. it's nice to see the other side of the field CB stepping up, be it gay, lewis, whoever.

well done coach lake!!!!
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    What once was an abomination now seems like an aberration.

It's hard to quantify, really, how much the Steelers have improved from that opening 35-7 loss in Baltimore to this rematch Sunday: They're contenders at 6-2, confident in all phases, deeper than anyone knew and so strategically sharp that the noted New England scholars Bill Belichick and Tom Brady just left town with swelling, itching brains.

It's a good team, one that's enjoyed a wealth of quality individual performances.
    And yet, in choosing a first-half MVP, I'll go way off the board, even off the 53-man roster, and take defensive backs coach Carnell Lake.

Most of us think of Lake as the cerebral four-time Pro Bowl safety for the Steelers from 1989-98. But in his new life as a rookie NFL coach, he has dramatically transformed what was supposed to be the team's No. 1 weakness into the NFL's No. 1 pass defense, with an average of 171.6 yards allowed per game.

"Carnell's really done a great job," defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said Thursday on the South Side. "Our secondary has played well. All you have to do is look at our pass numbers. Somebody's doing something right there."

"Coach Lake deserves a lot of credit," safety Ryan Clark said. "He's the guy who's had us prepared physically and mentally, who's given us the game plans. We have some good men in here, but he's the one that's put it together."
    Seriously, why is no one talking about this guy?

Ike Taylor was a very good corner, but he's now one of the NFL's best, and he's the Steelers' best since Lake's old teammate, Rod Woodson. He's matching up against the opponents' top receivers and, in the past three weeks alone, held Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald to three catches each, Wes Welker to four. Overall, Taylor has the league's best burn rate — how often a defensive back is targeted vs. the number of completions — at 32.1 percent.

For a comparison, Bryant McFadden's burn rate last season was 67 percent, the league's fourth-worst.

And how about William Gay?
    When it became clear in Latrobe that McFadden's hamstring would keep him out, all the talk-show and social-media rage was vented at Gay. And not without cause. His play ranged from clumsy to cringe-worthy, even though he took the field only in the nickel package.

This season, though, Gay has been outstanding after a rough start in Indianapolis upon taking over for McFadden. His breakthrough was the primary reason LeBeau and Lake felt comfortable with switching to man-to-man coverage against Brady and the Patriots.

This surely represents Lake's crown jewel to this point.

Lake worked with Gay, his teammates say, to study his tendencies and preferences. Gay wanted to be up on the line, handling receivers physically. The Steelers' previous defensive backs coach, Ray Horton, now the defensive coordinator in Arizona, wanted Gay to stay back, as with all his corners. Lake cut him loose.
    "I'm just playin' my game, man," Gay said.

LeBeau and the Steelers' players praise Horton for his technique teaching, but they sound like they love Lake for adding that physical element. We saw it with Taylor, too, last week in chipping at Welker.

"Ray Horton was a great coach," LeBeau said. "The reason we wanted to get Carnell was that I had personal experience with him here and knew he was a man of great character. I also knew he was an aggressive player and that he'd be an aggressive coach. I knew what he'd be asking our guys to do."

There are others. Third-year man Keenan Lewis has looked so strong that he's pushing for more duty. Not far behind is Cortez Allen, the fourth-round draft pick. Only McFadden has fallen off, now relegated to special teams after his injury limited his time with Lake in Latrobe.

Lake, 44, has been a quick study. He left the private business world in 2010 to join Green Bay as a coaching intern, then accepted the Steelers' offer in March. He has preferred to lay low, which is why he declined an interview request for this column. He told me during the preseason he wanted the focus on his players, and he's obviously achieved that for all the right reasons.

Next challenge for Lake's secondary, especially Taylor, will be the Ravens' Anquan Boldin, fresh off a 145-yard gem against Arizona.
    Anyone still worried?

One thing for sure is IF we end up in a re match with Rodgers and company we'll be better prepared.

He's learning from LeBeau one of the best best coaches every who's seen it all over the years and Tomlin who was a very good db coach himself. Great job Carnell keep up the good work.

. He has preferred to lay low, which is why he declined an interview request for this column. He told me during the preseason he wanted the focus on his players, and he's obviously achieved that for all the right reasons
    Chuck Noll style,
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

they didnt mention curtis brown... is he injured?

My Mood
    Impatient
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    they didnt mention curtis brown... is he injured?
    not any more. He had a hammy injury early this season and I think it was happened during preseason.

Thread Information